cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT recommendations for a mom and daughter team

ItsJustUs
Explorer
Explorer
A single friend with a pre-teen daughter is interested in camping. What would be the easiest camping set-up for them (pop-up? small TT?)? The mom isn't technically-minded, so something easy to tow would be preferable. Or maybe a small Class B? Or? She doesn't think she'd like to do tent camping. I have no idea how to advise her.

Thanks for your help!
19 REPLIES 19

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
The newbie campers in question probably need room to sleep 3.

My daughter is 9. Camping with dad... ahh its ok. Camping with dad and best friend... YEAH!!!!
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
So much depends on the type of person she is. If she is like my wife, a small class C would be choice as she does not like to tow, set up, get dirty etc.. ๐Ÿ™‚ drive up, plug in, and "camp"

If she is like my neighbor, she would want a pop up or something more traditional camping with some work, prep etc...

Good point was made about rainy days or how they will be camping... a small tear drop would not be ideal for longer trips
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
It's hard to recommend something with so little info, but from what I can gather, it's two women so there'd better be a potty in it somewhere. I think I'd recommend an Aliner with a cassette toilet. Much easier to set up than a pop-up. Or even a little Scamper.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
For a 1st camper I would say a pop up or similar. Pop-ups are easy to set up and are easy to tow and require minimal maintenance.... Also easier to store since they are smaller...... If they are only going to use it "camp" in and no extensive traveling then she should have no problem with a pop-up.....
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I too think in this case, renting might be a good first step. If she rents a small class C for a couple week vacation, that would go a long way towards answering in her and the daughter's mind if they really want to do this any more. And it will give her some perspective on the expense of the whole activity.
Could be she may decide that for the money spent, a vacation can be done cheaper driving the family economy car and staying at motel 6

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When my daughter as a teen she would be up for camping on a glacier, just to see how far it moved at night.;) , so it is difficult to judge other kids.

I think the advice about renting a small RV is a good suggestion.

A-frame campers are a good choice but expensive and hard to find a rental. Pop-ups give lots of room and are easy to tow; a good choice provided you do not mind setting up and taking down.

TTs of course involve the proper TV and 10 mpg.

If possible, I would start by renting a pop-up. Once they are set up, they have most of the comforts of a TT.

Hopefully with good weather, they will know fairly soon if they like the camping/RV routine.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Either the Jayco Swift SLX 154bh or 184bh travel trailers would be a good choice. Dinette converts to a bed and there are bunk beds too. Light weight and easy to tow with all the amenities in a small package.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Aliner or Chalet .
My neighbor widow lady loves camping and fishing .
Age 68 now .
She wheels her Aliner out of her garage stall using the dolly wheel .
I have watched her raise ( and lower ) the roof a couple hundred times .
She goes camping more than any of us .
She used to tow with an explorer but now she has an expecdition .
She does this all by herself at home .
I have known this lady for 40 years and I knew her husband also .
Her driveway and garage are level .
Her Aliner makes my other neighbors coleman tent trailer look third class .
They are constantly leaving it outside to dry out .
Contrary to the HOA rules which state No Rv's outside .

ItsJustUs
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, everyone. I'll tell her to join the forum so she can explain exactly what she wants and can toss around ideas with you. I think she's looking for something lightweight that she can tow with a minivan. I know TTs (teardrops, etc.) are getting lighter, but is that even possible?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Renting a small trailer is probably a good idea. If Mom has a tow vehicle, no worries. If not, rent a vehicle, too.

Have them join the Forum and push around their ideas, it might help.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
We're proposing solutions without knowing many details about the problem. All we know is a mom and her pre-teen daughter. I always recommend going to an RV show and playing make believe for hours on end - imagine the perfect day of camping, imagine a rainy day, imagine...
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find a good used conversion van. Simple to drive, no major set up.

I would also suggest going to a few RV dealerships or shows, see what there is and test drive a van and see if they also rent TT's. You could camp at home for a weekend and try things out, try backing up etc in a mall parking lot with lots of space but marked spots. If possible even a weekend away with a friend who might have a TT or other unit you might be interested, just to get the feel.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the tow vehicle, the R-pod type trailers are comfortable, have pretty much all the amenities and a bit easier on the towing. The A-liner is a nice idea, too, but not as much moving around room. I'd think a PUP would be further down the list just due to the set up and break down time and energy involved. I don't know how easy it is to just rent various types, but if it's doable, that would be best. And...how comfortable is the mom with towing a trailer. Agree that a C would be a great idea, but the price may be the end of that idea. Kudos to this mom and daughter for wanting to get out there together and spend some quality time. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I would not suggest a pop-up. Maybe an R-Pod or as suggested, the Aliner
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150