cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn Down Exhaust...

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded a 2004 Dodge 4X4 2500 SLT Sport HO Quad Cab for the truck in the sig.

Old truck blew exhaust all over the lower right rear corner panel and rear bumper - stained it, as well as stained the leading edge of the TT over time.

Anyone add a turn down exhaust and if so -

which?
Did you cut tailpipe to install?
Unintended consequences?

Thanks!
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K
27 REPLIES 27

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO no reason for the turn down exhaust on a 07.5 and newer 6.7 Cummins.

Interesting comment. I see no reason not to have a turndown exhaust. I guess we see differently.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Did you miss that OP traded for a NEW 2015 ?

I don't know what you are trying to say here but if I purchase a new 2015 Ram the first two modifications will be mud flaps and a turn down exhaust.

LOL!

First mod was full length side steps.

Second was Duraflaps all the way around with three bolt stainless.

Third (arrives Friday) is a Snugtop Super Sport Canopy.

RV should be here next week...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Also, the 'turn' or where it 'is' for towing has to do with where the
sound waves go...

When I see a setup with the after market exhaust pointing straight back...
know they are getting exhaust noise bounced off the front of their
trailer to bounce onto the rear of their TV...

Why lots of TV's has exhaust routed to the rear sides...and poke PAST
any body sheetmetal by at least 2"...as if less...the sound waves will
be 'caught' and drummed into the vehicle's passenger compartment

But....most folks today who own pickups and SUVs do NOT tow, or they
use their trucks more as a car than a TV, so really makes no matter
where for those folks
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The exhaust on the newer trucks gets very hot,

So true. On my '05, not a regen truck, the exhaust (heat ??) completely damaged and removed the sticker plackard on the TorkLift tie down that was sort of in the exhaust's path all within the first hour. All that way back and it melted it off. Just another reason for a turn down exhaust tip. And the newer trucks run even hotter.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The exhaust on the newer trucks gets very hot, very hot. During ReGen, the Ram's exhaust has been documented to reach close to 900*. While it won't Regen while sitting still, the exhaust can be extremely hot and burn your leg. The turn down directs it down instead of straight out.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just out of interest, why the exhaust?

My first need for a turn down exhaust was when I added TorkLift tie downs for a cabover camper. The stock exhaust basically was virtually in the way of the tie downs. And it did put black diesel exhaust on the camper and the tie down. So.......I went with a turn down exhaust. And I liked it not just for fixing the soot problem and the tie down too close issue, but also for how it looks and how it works. Just because a 2015 is clean burning and the exhaust will not soot up the trailer or camper doesn't mean that I necessarily like the way the stock exhaust tip looks. Turn down just looks better especially on a dually with mud flaps. Perhaps a turn down would not look quite as "natural it just fits right and belongs there" on a single rear wheel truck.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:

I don't know what you are trying to say here but if I purchase a new 2015 Ram the first two modifications will be mud flaps and a turn down exhaust.

Just out of interest, why the exhaust?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO no reason for the turn down exhaust on a 07.5 and newer 6.7 Cummins.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jmtandem wrote:
Just traded a 2004 Dodge 4X4 2500 SLT Sport HO Quad Cab for the truck in the sig.

Old truck blew exhaust all over the lower right rear corner panel and rear bumper - stained it, as well as stained the leading edge of the TT over time.

Anyone add a turn down exhaust and if so -

which?
Did you cut tailpipe to install?
Unintended consequences?

Thanks!

Been there done that. No unintended consequences. Got the turndown from Geno's garage. Works perfectly.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
AngryBert-63 wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
The 2015 shouldn't be pumping out enough soot to stain anything. I'd leave it alone.

Thanks to all for the advice and I think I'm going with the advice above and see how it goes.

Definitely don't want to induce problems or even the chance of problems if it is a cleaner burning truck.

Put it this way. If you have a black tailpipe or any visible soot from the exhaust you have a problem and should take it to the dealer to check it out.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Sport45 wrote:
The 2015 shouldn't be pumping out enough soot to stain anything. I'd leave it alone.

Thanks to all for the advice and I think I'm going with the advice above and see how it goes.

Definitely don't want to induce problems or even the chance of problems if it is a cleaner burning truck.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Just be aware a turn down exhaust on the Cummins on a dry dusty campground road may pizz off some of your neighbors. You will be idling along in low gear with a huge dust cloud on your right side. Saw this in a dry dusty Colorado camp ground.

My '03 Dodge/Cummins started to soot up the lower RH quarter panel when new. I added a chrome extension. No soot issues now.

X2. Private road to stick house was gravel until a couple of years ago. Couldn't keep the truck clean!
New truck won't need one.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Bedlam
I agree with the others that a 2015 will not smoke or soot (now have a Ram 5500 with the Cummins). Even my 2005 PSD and 2003 TDI do not smoke under load. Either your engine was being over fueled or there were other issues causing excessive particulates. My little 1982 Perkins would burn a little dirty, but even it never left soot on the Scamp I used to tow behind it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD