cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two rims on back of a dually instead of 4 ?

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys

During the winter, my f350 drw is not hauling or towing anything heavy,
The heavier ill be hauling is my snowmobile.

Where i live, we must use winter tires (snowflakes) from december to march, its the law.

Since my trucks gonna ride without lot of weight on it during these 3 months, can i only use two rims instead of 4 on the back ?
(Wheels exterior side)

It would spare me to spend a couple hundred bucks for 2 additionals
Tires that i kinda dont "need". Its also gonna give me a better traction i guess.

Im planning to buy rims and tires soon an id like to know if someone already did it or if you think its a bad idea for some reason, let me know please.

Thx guys
25 REPLIES 25

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not just put snow tires on the outside and leave the regulars on the inside?

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not good for the wheel bearings unless you run super singles!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
On most duallys the front tire does not track with either of the rear tires, it splits the difference. The studs may not have enough thread on them to use just one wheel, if they do I'd go with the outer if you are going to do it.
Puma 30RKSS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I've seen it done but it looks pretty goofy.

I still say the exact same thing with semis and their use of super singles!!!! Just doesn't look right. Period! Semi trailers as well.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Bedlam
You do not flotation on snow or ice those will be worse than stock dualies.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Shifty_85
Explorer
Explorer
Get some super singles!!!
2000 F250 7.3 towing our 1996 31Ft cardinal by cobra

Bedlam
If you only run the outers, it will look better. Running the inners will typically line up better with the front axle (unless you have the widetrack front axle) and perform better.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious about this also. Would you use the inner wheels so that they track the front tires or the outer wheels so they make their own track? Which would give better traction in the snow?

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Lol

Yeah im aware of the ugly & goofy look, but ill do it if it gives me a better control on ice and snow while im empty without any risk of breaking something.

Thx for answering

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Singles on a dually truck always looked UGLY to me. But it can be done. You might need some spacers for the lug nuts though.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen it done but it looks pretty goofy.