cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under belly repair after a blow out

stevepk
Explorer
Explorer
Had blow out last week, fixed the brakes and now onto fixing the the other damage.
There is very little body damage which I can fix easily. What I need help with is the black fabric that was tore out. I assume this fabric is water proof and I need know it’s name and where to buy it. Is it available in small patch panels? Was also considering scabbing in some diamond plate aluminum to prevent future damage.

2018 Prime Time Avenger 27RKS

Thanks in advance
Steve
2018 F-250
2017 Prime Time Avenger ATI 27RKS
5 REPLIES 5

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's ironic, 3 weeks ago on my way to Colorado I had a blowout on my GD Reflection. I was fortunate as I only lost a 10" x 24" section of insulation and the black plastic tarp material you referenced. I replaced the insulation and then I decided I wouldn't let that damage happen again. I looked around and had two sections of galvanized heat duct 10" x 3" rectangular 10' long. Cut my pieces from the flat 10" sides of the duct and left a 1/4" upturn on one edge to make it easier to handle. I measured up each side of the trailer above the tires from cross support to cross support so I could screw the ends tight. Took one afternoon and fabricated my pieces and screw them in on 6" centers. Job looks like it came that way and If I have another blowout it wont tear the underside up. I painted it black before installation and it matches perfect.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
stevepk wrote:
Had blow out last week, fixed the brakes and now onto fixing the the other damage.
There is very little body damage which I can fix easily. What I need help with is the black fabric that was tore out. I assume this fabric is water proof and I need know it’s name and where to buy it. Is it available in small patch panels? Was also considering scabbing in some diamond plate aluminum to prevent future damage.

Thanks in advance
Steve
That's a good idea. I did something similar on my previous TT. I used a steel panel that I primed and painted, but aluminum would be better - you don't have to paint it. I used liquid nails and small screws to install a 2x2 where the fabric had ripped. When it dried, I cut the fabric edge straight, and stapled it to the new stringer. I then ran a bead of liquid nails around the repair area and screwed the plate through pre-drilled holes. I knew a guy in a hot rod shop that cut a piece to size for me.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you mean the black fabric attached to the bottom of the floor, it’s probably Darco. Flex Mend also is used to do repairs.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting you say that. I was coming south on US 23 yesterday and passed a pull behind and his underbelly was hanging down and the fender skirts were flapping in the wind. Of course the driver was oblivious to it. Bet he wasn't when he got to where he was going.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
stevepk wrote:

Thanks in advance
Steve

You could also use coroplast. Sold at HD/Lowes in sheets. It’s used on many trailers.

RVing since 1995.