cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

underinflation

rlocicero
Explorer
Explorer
No one should recommend riding on underinflated tires. If affecta the side walls and promotes a build up of heat. If you want capacity, buy the tire for that. If you want a comfie ride, buy the tire for that. Otherwise be prepared to compromize.
20 REPLIES 20

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
Downtheroad; we buy out tires at the same place!

China? 🙂
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnutz wrote:
They'd made their choice and get the ride that comes with it and then use the band aid approach to solve the well known issues that are built it. DUH!
Yeah, take that!

Tire inflation pressure is shown as a MAX on my tires. If I'm not carrying much of a load, I can drive fine, tires don't overheat, what is your point?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Op is 100% right however, there are some trucks/brands that ride absolutely terrible with full tire inflation when not carrying or towing and people will underinflate to make the ride even bearable. Thus sacrificing handling characteristics, ability, safety, and of course tire tread life. I have to ask why would they even do this when there are better choices and so avoidable? Some vehicles even ride harsh and jolting when loaded! They'd made their choice and get the ride that comes with it and then use the band aid approach to solve the well known issues that are built it. DUH!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a nasty-riding F450 which was related to the tires being 90lb. I dropped that to 60 and helped the ride somewhat. Never hurt the tire at all.

It depends on the heat and the load you're carrying.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Downtheroad; we buy out tires at the same place!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Naw, I normally run my tires without inflating them. It saves chocking the wheels when I get to a campground....:)

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro