cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unimog Truck Campers

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
My Sister sent me this photo of a "gaggle" of Unimog based Truck Campers. Presumably the body is detachable. All I can say they look huge
28 REPLIES 28

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
HMS Beagle wrote:
For me the problem with a Unimog is it would be really fun for about 50 miles. Then the noise, ride quality, handling, etc. would start to feel very industrial compared to a modern pickup. Not to mention fuel economy. If those 50 miles were over very rough terrain justifying the vehicle, then great. On the highway, not so much.

X4

It's why I tow my Jeep to where I want to explore. Even with the hardtop, ac and heat, I hate to drive it even a couple hundred miles on pavement. Guess I'm getting old and spoiled.......
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Bedlam
Photomike wrote:
I think I will hold out for this.

80hrs to get full charge off 50A service to be able to travel 500 miles...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I will hold out for this.........

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
HMS Beagle wrote:
For me the problem with a Unimog is it would be really fun for about 50 miles. Then the noise, ride quality, handling, etc. would start to feel very industrial compared to a modern pickup. Not to mention fuel economy. If those 50 miles were over very rough terrain justifying the vehicle, then great. On the highway, not so much.

X3

This has always been one of my dream rigs, but for every mile I drive where the Unimog would be justified I drive 100 miles to get to that destination. There was a Unimog article on TC Magazine earlier this year. This owner gets 12 MPG with his Four Wheel Camper Grandby loaded. Also-
Unimogs are are not very fast, but they are very nimble. It goes about 55 miles per hour but, with overdrive, mine can go 65 miles per hour. The fire truck is a turbo version as well. Going uphill, it’s like a semi truck.

I still want one... 🙂
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinsil wrote:
Always wanted a mog.

Then I found Stevens and Stewart surplus M1079’s....and want one of these instead. Not on portals, but CAT powered, Allison auto, 46” tires, CTIS, and pretty reasonable price wise with easy parts available. Check them out, if you want cool over the top and throw a TC on one and hit the road!

Comparing this

to this

to each of his own

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:

X2
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Always wanted a mog.

Then I found Stevens and Stewart surplus M1079’s....and want one of these instead. Not on portals, but CAT powered, Allison auto, 46” tires, CTIS, and pretty reasonable price wise with easy parts available. Check them out, if you want cool over the top and throw a TC on one and hit the road!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
For me the problem with a Unimog is it would be really fun for about 50 miles.

Probably but, you'd be the coolest person on the road for those 50 miles. :C

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Those are ridiculously awesome. I could put up with a lot of nvh to have a unimog camper!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
HMS Beagle wrote:

Get Brabus edition and you eliminate above problems but fuel economy.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Bring a chain saw for those "low" branches. And watch those tight switchbacks.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
That would be fun to play in!
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. They also look like they could go just about anywhere.