http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5945872711.html
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G
12 REPLIES 12

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
Oh you're right! I was looking at it on my cell phone, thought I saw the split windshield!
Ok now I'm mad lol.
I don't think the '49-'50 Olds can be credited as the original muscle car even though it was the groundbreaking overhead-valve V8.
There were (admittedly ridiculously expensive) production Duesenbergs with straight-8 engines in 1928 that were 420 cubic inch, double overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder rocket ships that would outrun a '50 Olds Rocket.

The Rocket is a very historically significant motor though. I was at the LeMay auto museum in Tacoma WA a couple years ago. They had a '49 Rocket, and the tour guide totally missed the whole point of why that car was there, I ended up about halfway taking over guiding the tour!
I think I know what my "retirement job" is gonna be.

Sadly, that Rocket is long dead. Engine was destroyed by sitting for over 30 years with straight water in the cooling system.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
burningman wrote:
Oh you're right! I was looking at it on my cell phone, thought I saw the split windshield!
Ok now I'm mad lol.
I don't think the '49-'50 Olds can be credited as the original muscle car even though it was the groundbreaking overhead-valve V8.
There were (admittedly ridiculously expensive) production Duesenbergs with straight-8 engines in 1928 that were 420 cubic inch, double overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder rocket ships that would outrun a '50 Olds Rocket.

The Rocket is a very historically significant motor though. I was at the LeMay auto museum in Tacoma WA a couple years ago. They had a '49 Rocket, and the tour guide totally missed the whole point of why that car was there, I ended up about halfway taking over guiding the tour!

I could spend days there!
My retirement job is going to be having/restoring a couple LeMay worthy cars!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1949 Pontiac "Beetleback", that had the OHV straight eight. Also had the first type of Hydramatic trans that Olds, and Pontiac shared back then. I do remember the old Hudson "Twin-H', that was a great road car also. Folks had a 1951 Hornet, that was a dream to ride in from China Lake, CA., to Los Angeles, with all five kids, and two adults. Remember..."you step DOWN into your Hudson" That was their motto.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok now I'm mad lol.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
Of course I was being sarcastic...
it's no loss, it was just a four-door or wagon, you can tell because it hasn't got the one-piece windshield. No one would have restored it anyway, it would be a parts car.

Its a Rocket 88. It was a Fasback. Many (myself included) consider it the first muscle car and the subject of what is probably the first Rock and Roll song. Look at the pictures in the link; solid windshield.

clicky
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Its a campmobile!!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Of course I was being sarcastic...
it's no loss, it was just a four-door or wagon, you can tell because it hasn't got the one-piece windshield. No one would have restored it anyway, it would be a parts car.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a waste of a Rocket 88.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
It looks to have a beefed up rear and it's set up for a stronger trans.
However, as we all know, NOTHING you can ever do can increase any vehicles original stock load rating, therefore this vehicle is unsafe and should be crushed immediately.

And the Mona Lisa is just an old piece of canvas covered in paint.
Maybe it should be burnt before it causes a fire? :B

I think the car is cool and I hope someone does a nice restoration. Or at the least, roll it into a barn and leave it alone (but maintained) for another 25 or so years.
Then someone can 'discover' it and restore it properly.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
the one video shows the engine with heads off, and he said he is waiting for heads to return so he could assemble it and than clean motor compartment.
But pictures in Craigs list show engine out with note "it needs to be re-powered". might have been an expensive mistake :(.

Still, neat piece of history from when the car was king!
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to have a beefed up rear and it's set up for a stronger trans.
However, as we all know, NOTHING you can ever do can increase any vehicles original stock load rating, therefore this vehicle is unsafe and should be crushed immediately.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
CLICKY

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro