cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Carbon monoxide alarm goes off while baking in oven

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: After taking the TT to get some service done, it was found that the flap on the rear of the RV that vents gasses had closed. The FLAP is about 9 feet high from the ground, not at eye level, not even near eye level. The flap is made to be open, but also closed when not in use. This had closed and the little buttons that keep it closed were indeed flipped over it keeping closed. I never saw this vent before. The RV service tech said 99% of people he talks don't even know this flap exists outside the rig.

After dewinterizing my 29' springfield and cleaning the mouse nests out of the oven, i started cooking with the oven. Every time i open the oven, the carbon monoxide alarm goes off. I am starting to think maybe there's mice and/or a nest in the vent that goes from the inside the oven outside which is blocking flow. I looked into the oven but see nothing and can't tell exactly where they came in. Would the vent for this oven be on the roof or straight out through the wall and is this something that's possible?

Any other ideas?
33 REPLIES 33

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never open the range vent for anything. I do use the oven sometimes but, I don't fry food on the stove top. I have never had the CO detector go off for anything.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We never open our range vent when using the stove or oven and never have an issue with the detector. I doubt that is your issue.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Like others, I doubt that is the actual problem but it might be. We use our oven and stove top all the time and it never sets off the CO alarm. Sometimes the smoke alarm on the ceiling but never the CO alarm near the floor. Our stove top vent doesn't even vent outside. It's one of those recirculating type vents. Not really good for much as a vent.

A properly functioning stove/oven shouldn't produce enough CO to set off the alarm. I think you need something adjusted on the burner.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, well, maybe I'm a skeptic, but I'm not sure the tech solved the issue. Yes, please test by starting your oven. Our CO detector is in the bedroom up high above the closet door. The propane detector is at the back of the RV on the bottom of the wall by the floor and the fire alarm is on the ceiling between the kitchen and stairs to the bedroom. I have to admit that when we are out camping, I often do not undo the tabs on the oven vent hood outside vent flap (that's what it is), but since the stove and oven are right by the door, I will open the door just a little, leaving the screen closed. When it's too cold outside to open, I open the window just a bit, opposite the range. I've never had the CO detector go off, the fire alarm yes, when I cook some things so we set up a fan opposite it to fan it It's so sensitive that I scrapped the idea of having a toaster on board because just making toast in the oven causes the fire alarm to go off.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
OK, it is the range hood vent. Yes it must have the little tabs unlocked in order for it to be able to exhaust cooking gases..... ALSO: another window or vent MUST be opened slightly to allow fresh air to enter the unit as the fan sucks air out the hood vent.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure how far down you can see in the vent area of range. Might try a good flashlight and see if you can see anything. It could be under the oven in between floor of range/oven assembly and oven liner.
I would be cautious about using it. Maybe try it at home and watch it so nothing catches fire.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
THey did find a mouse nest in one of the vents, but they didn't make it seem like it was obstructing anything. My carbon monoxide detector is in the bedroom on the wall, which is on the opposite side of the rig.

I haven't used oven since, but i'm going to keep a watchful eye on it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That sure sounds like the vent fan range hood outlet.
I don't think they looked at the range/oven. I believe they would have found mice bedding in that area between the outer wall and oven wall.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't that the range hood vent? The tabs are to keep it closed when traveling otherwise yes, you are supposed to open them if you intend to use the stove top/oven. My toaster would set off the smoke detector if I didn't run the range hood vent but never did using the stove or oven set off my CO detector if I didn't run the range hood vent. I am not sure your problem is truly solved....future use will tell. How close is the oven to the CO detector? Mine is 10 feet away, so maybe it is a proximity issue. They are quite sensitive.

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: After taking the TT to get some service done, it was found that the flap on the rear of the RV that vents gasses had closed. The FLAP is about 9 feet high from the ground, not at eye level, not even near eye level. The flap is made to be open, but also closed when not in use. This had closed and the little buttons that keep it closed were indeed flipped over it keeping closed. I never saw this vent before. The RV service tech said 99% of people he talks don't even know this flap exists outside the rig.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
"The carbon monoxide detector going off is one up high on the ceiling"

I am thinking it is normally the smoke alarm, that is closer to the ceiling, and the LP/CO is near the floor, hard wired.

Jerry

Agree.

Smoke detector is on the ceiling because smoke rises.
LP detector is near the floor because LP is heavier than air.
CO detector is near the floor because CO is everywhere and CO and LP share some of the same detector circuitry.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
danv1317 wrote:
After dewinterizing my 29' springfield and cleaning the mouse nests out of the oven, i started cooking with the oven. Every time i open the oven, the carbon monoxide alarm goes off. I am starting to think maybe there's mice and/or a nest in the vent that goes from the inside the oven outside which is blocking flow. I looked into the oven but see nothing and can't tell exactly where they came in. Would the vent for this oven be on the roof or straight out through the wall and is this something that's possible?

Any other ideas?

We had a similar problem but our niece was sleeping on the kitchen table because we had a house full. The stupid detector kept going off randomly at 3:00 am. Later she admitted she was passing gas. After looking at it found that the replacement date had passed.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

danv1317
Explorer
Explorer
Going for service on wednesday! Will let you know how it goes . Also had issues last night with furnace not blowing hot air. Fan running, trying to light but no warm air coming out.

I've had the trailer for 2 years and haven't had any issues with it .

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to someone that knows what they are doing. Don't try to save a buck in a situation like this.
Dennis Hoppert