Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade transmission cooler

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
question on upgrading trans cooler.
my 2009 gmc 1/2 5.3 has tow package and have made a few 2500 mile trips. tranny temp does go up. if i want to change or add another, who can tell me the best or biggest i can put on
49000 miles.
i had the fluid changed 300 mile ago
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
225* under duress for a short period of time is not high. If it shows 225* driving down a flat road not towing, maybe you have a problem. If it slowly increases during a climb when towing, and comes back down fairly quickly once the climb is over, your system is operating as intended.

My '10 has 100k miles on it, runs perfectly, and the transmission is in great shape. We hit 225* on many trips, towing in Utah mountains.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks I will keep an eye on it. I really don't want to burn up the tranny
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
That temp is fairly high. But if its just a short period, and it usually runs much lower, I wouldn't be concerned.

I start to get nervous when mine hits 205, but I have a 2007 with a lot of miles on it. Usually when it starts to get up there I notice engine temp up as well, and I think thats what makes me nervous.

Now that you know you have the oem one up front (this is the one I added to mine), you could look around on the web for DIY info on replacing it with something bigger. I think the biggest challenge of the job would be getting the fascia off so you could remove the old one and mount the new one. Its a pretty simple job and if you did it yourself, you could probably do it for less than $100.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks just saved myself 325.00
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
224 is fine. Slow a bit and downshift above 240 and maybe pull over if you are pushing 260.
Fluid has changed since Dexron II of the '70s.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Towing up hill in the heat at 224 degrees doesn't seem like any big deal to me.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Magata is correct. That tranny temp is fine.

Think about this for a minute: I have seen people put on extra tranny coolers and add to the "stack". Problem is, the new tranny cooler BTU's will go through the cooling stack and that drives the BTU's of the rest of the stack up..............sometimes sky high!

AC condenser BTU's goes up; the radiator temp will go up. Even the engine compartment temp will go up and that makes everything else's temp go up.

Be careful what you wish for...............:W or at least be careful.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
bbaker2001 wrote:
sorry, in valley heat pulling up Yosemite it was running 224. Mataga gmc said that was fine. seems hot to me. I would pull over at times to cool

That's getting up there, but for a few minutes its no big deal.

Additional cooling would benefit you though.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
sorry, in valley heat pulling up Yosemite it was running 224. Mataga gmc said that was fine. seems hot to me. I would pull over at times to cool
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
thanks, yes I see the oem cooler installed, it seem very small. looked at the Tru-Cool 40k but AAmco said he did not think it would install. he wants to sell me the smaller 2400. not sure what all the BTU means, but does bigger always mean better, or is it overkill
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Technically a stacked plate type is best, but tube & fin coolers will work just fine too. The former is more expensive. Both are fairly easy to mount (depending on available space in front of the radiator/condenser) if you have decent mechanical skills.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of temps are you seeing? Do you have the additional cooler up front? If you look through the grill you should be able to see it sitting in front of the radiator. If not, you can buy the additional oem one complete with actual trans lines and cooler for less than $100. You can have the dealer do the install, probably for right around $200.

You can do the install yourself, but let me tell you, it isn't for the faint of heart. Disconnecting and reconnecting a trans line a blind location, and thats after you have used your rubix cube knowledge to route the hard line back through everything. If your not handy or lack patience, the money to have it installed is well spent.

If you already have one there though and just want something bigger, it should just mean disconnecting the old, mounting the new and hooking up a couple of short hoses to the existing fittings.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
The Tru-Cool coolers seem to be the best. I almost did a cooler upgrade on a NBS 1500 Silverado but sold the truck for my 2500. Anyway, here is a link to an install that gives you the size perspective on the Tru-Cool 40k linky
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran