Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT! Rockwood 2318G doesn't have any signal lights on

mildkiller
Explorer
Explorer
Hi gurus,

I have a one year new tent trailer Rockwood 2318G. It's been functioning perfectly last year. Yesterday I pulled it out from an indoor storage and realized two things:
1. The battery was drained because I forgot to remove it. Now it's been recharging.
2. All signal lights don't work except the left side break light.

Symptom: when step down the break, only the left side break light is on, the right one is not. try the left and right turn signal, no light on. try the evening running light, no light on. the electric break controller has a green light that should indicate the connection is ready. it's off too. So I had to tow the trailer back without electric break and turn signal...

I check the 7pin plug diagram but still can't determine the issue is on the vehicle or the trailer. Anyone can help with step-by-step instruction? I have a volt meter. How can I test the 7pin plug on my Odyssey? For example, when give out the left turn signal, how much voltage can be read on the plug? The tow package, electric break and all wiring were installed at U-Haul and no issue last year. Really have no idea why it suddenly has an issue without any change on both vehicle and trailer.

Thank you for help!
Daniel
15 REPLIES 15

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted my etrailer box right behind the battery. Ill check it periodically for corrosion or other water intrusion problems.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-38656.html
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
mildkiller wrote:
Hi Jim,

I should say the trailer light power module was replaced. it looks like a 4pin(ground, L/R turn and tail light) to 6pin (ground, L/R turn, tail, break and battery) converter. It's a sealed black plastic box and I can't check inside. Uhual technician replaced it and also cleaned up ground wire.

Here's the exact module that was replaced today.
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-lights/Tow-vehicle-wiring/Trailer-Light-Power-Module?id=13612

I just went through this EXACT scenario with my 2013 Kia Sorento. After my wife's accident we had to replace the converter box for the four pole flat connector. Within a week the box was doing exactly what you described.

The problem is that the U-Haul converter box is not weather proof...the instructions specifically state to keep from mounting the box in splash zones or in an area where the the box may get wet. I missed that crucial part when I installed the converter box.

Anyway, I cut the uhaul box out and got a Valley converter box off eBay and did an interior install and wired the converter box inside the luggage compartment. My Sorento has a little compartment for tools and what not so I removed an interior panel and mounted the converter box behind an interior panel and have my flat four connector in that little compartment.

I can post some pics of the install later if you would like to see them.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
i put a 7 pin junction box on my tongue recently. It is now the center for all things good or bad, easy trouble shooting, and additional hookup ports for toys.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Intheloonybin
Explorer
Explorer
I really have to compliment all of you in this thread. This is one of the best threads I have EVER seen for (1) the person asking gave a very good description of the problem, AND followed up after repeatedly- instead of disappearing after initial post. (2) everyone gave some awesome advice on how to trace through to find the problem.

It's almost enough to bring a tear to the eye... 😉
HVAC/R tech.
2006 GMC Envoy XL 4.2 I6 1999 Coleman Niagara
2 Great girls 19 and 17
1 Great wife
1 Wonderful Goldendoodle

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
p220sigman wrote:
Loose or corroded ground wires can cause all kinds of weird things to happen.

X2!

I had a faulty ground at the trailer's plug. I didn't have right side turn/brake light, had all others. BUT when the left turn signals were on, the side marker lights would flash too! The faulty ground connection couldn't carry enough current to illuminate all the lights.
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

mildkiller
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jim,

I should say the trailer light power module was replaced. it looks like a 4pin(ground, L/R turn and tail light) to 6pin (ground, L/R turn, tail, break and battery) converter. It's a sealed black plastic box and I can't check inside. Uhual technician replaced it and also cleaned up ground wire.

Here's the exact module that was replaced today.
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-lights/Tow-vehicle-wiring/Trailer-Light-Power-Module?id=13612

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Daniel,

Just a follow up question? What do you mean by the "converter box"? I'm trying to stay informed on troubleshooting, and I've never heard of a converter causing turn signal or brake issues.

I'm guessing he was referring to a converter box on his TV. This would be used to convert the separate turn signals and brake lights commonly found on foreign cars to the circuit that is usually on trailers where the turn signals and brake lights use the same bulb.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Daniel,

Just a follow up question? What do you mean by the "converter box"? I'm trying to stay informed on troubleshooting, and I've never heard of a converter causing turn signal or brake issues.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

mildkiller
Explorer
Explorer
thank you guys! you're excellent!! the issue was resolved. The converter box was defective. Replaced it and everything boom up!

All advice above are so helpful. I learned a lot here. Really appreciate you!!

Have a good weekend everyone.
Daniel

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get your battery charged and installed in the Pup again, you can use a jumper wire at the plug to test the trailer lights. Simply jump from the 12V charging pin (4) to pin 3 to test the tail/running lights, then to pin 5 to test the left turn/stop light, and then to pin 6 to test the right turn/stop light. If the lights illuminate, you know the problem is with the tow vehicle/tow vehicle plug. No lights and you know the problem is with the Pup and can start tracing it from there.

Before starting the tests, be sure to check that the ground wire for the Pup's battery is securely connected to the Pup. Loose or corroded ground wires can cause all kinds of weird things to happen.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding your first paragraph. Yes, pin 4 is the +12VDC circuit. When connected, your tow vehicle will charge the trailer battery.

I would not suspect a bad ground since your left brake light was working.

You should have about 12.7 volts for the turn signals, brake lights, running lights etc.

If you have good connections at the truck and trailer, then check the bulbs themselves. Make sure each bulb is in good shape, and use your meter to make sure you have voltage at the light sockets. Make sure your light bulbs do not have corrosion on the terminals. If so, clean the terminal and the bulb and check again.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

mildkiller
Explorer
Explorer
thank you, gents!

In such a rainy day, I didn't get a chance to fully test connections but I did test the trailer side according to the plug diagram (trailer). Several Ohm(resistance) can be measured at each pins(for lights) except Pin4(aux 12V) has 12V output, which I believe it comes from the battery. Is it correct? When it connects to the vehicle, the Pin4 connects to vehicle's pin4 that is 12V too. Does it the mean the battery on trailer get recharging from the vehicle?

At this point, I feel no issue from trailer. I will test the vehicle side later. Usually I will test the voltage output at each pin while giving the relative function but I don't know how much voltage it supposes to be for the L/R turn light(pulse?), stop lights, running tail lights and break signal. If there's a bad ground, I should read lower voltage or nothing?

Thanks again,
Daniel

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always squirt some WD40 into the truck side connectors and wiggle around some to make a good connection.

I also have one these in my RV TOOL BOX which plugs into the truck side trailer connector and this will tell you if the proper signals are being generated from the truck side. Helps you troubleshoot better looking for the cause of the weird lights coming on.. I got mine from AMAZON but have seen them for sale at regular truck parts/accessories places..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

I am thinking that there isn't an issue with your trailer as an issue with your tow vehicle. The reason, the left brake and the left turn signal work on the same pin/wire/bulb. So, when you step on the brakes, and only the left brake light will come on, the left turn signal should also flash.

Does your vehicle have a factory tow harness and plug, or did an RV shop add what was needed. My vehicle didn't come prepped since I bought it used, so I had to wire everything myself including a converter box.

Also, living in salt country, I have to change my rear plug every spring due to salt corrosion. You could have issues there, too.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized