cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US files charge against Toyota, $1.2B penalty

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
FYI...no OEM is immune from bean counter management decisions...

By ERIC TUCKER and TOM KRISHER, Associated Press
Updated 11:20 am, Wednesday, March 19, 2014

WASHINGTON (AP) โ€” The U.S. government announced a $1.2 billion settlement with Toyota Motor Corp. on Wednesday and filed a criminal charge alleging the company defrauded consumers by issuing misleading statements about safety issues in Toyota and Lexus vehicles. The penalty is the largest of its kind ever imposed on an auto company, the Justice Department said.

The action concludes a yearslong criminal investigation into the Japanese automaker's disclosure of safety problems, which focused on whether Toyota was forthright in reporting problems to unintended acceleration troubles.

The company admitted to misleading consumers and regulators in providing assurances that it had addressed the problems โ€” which became public in 2009 following a car crash in San Diego that killed a family of four โ€” through a limited safety recall of certain models. Toyota knew at the time that other models susceptible to the same acceleration problem had not been recalled and also took steps to conceal a separate acceleration problem related to a faulty pedal, according to the Justice Department.

"In other words, Toyota confronted a public safety emergency as it if were a simple public relations problem," Attorney General Eric Holder said at a news conference.

The company faces a criminal wire fraud charge in New York that prosecutors say they will move to dismiss in three years if Toyota complies with the terms of the deal. Under a deferred prosecution agreement, an independent monitor will review policies, practices and procedures at the company.

No Toyota executives were charged under the deal. U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara of the Southern District of New York, whose office brought the case, said he expected the agreement to be a "final resolution."

"As you might imagine, when you have a company with individuals who are responsible for unlawful conduct in other jurisdictions, there are problems of evidence and problems of proof," he said.

In a statement, Toyota said that at the time of the recalls, "we took full responsibility for any concerns our actions may have caused customers, and we rededicated ourselves to earning their trust," said Christopher P. Reynolds, chief legal officer of Toyota Motor North America.

"In the more than four years since these recalls, we have gone back to basics at Toyota to put our customers first," he said.

Toyota said it had "made fundamental changes to become a more responsive and customer-focused organization, and we are committed to continued improvements."

Starting in 2009, Toyota issued massive recalls, mostly in the U.S., totaling more than 10 million vehicles for various problems including faulty brakes, gas pedals and floor mats. From 2010 through 2012, Toyota Motor Corp. paid fines totaling more than $66 million for delays in reporting unintended acceleration problems.

The settlement continues a string of bad publicity for Toyota, which before the unintended acceleration cases had a bulletproof image of reliability. Since the cases surfaced, the company's brand image has been damaged and it has lost U.S. market share as competition has intensified.

Last year, Toyota agreed to pay more than $1 billion to resolve hundreds of lawsuits claiming that owners of its cars suffered economic losses because of the recalls. But that settlement did not include wrongful death and injury lawsuits that have been consolidated in California state and federal courts.

In December, Toyota filed court papers after a four-year legal battle saying that it's in settlement talks on nearly 400 U.S. lawsuits, but other cases aren't included in the talks.

The negotiations come less than two months after an Oklahoma jury awarded $3 million in damages to the injured driver of a 2005 Camry and to the family of a passenger who was killed.

The ruling was significant because Toyota had won all previous unintended acceleration cases that went to trial. It was also the first case where attorneys for plaintiffs argued that the car's electronics โ€” in this case the software connected to a midsize Camry's electronic throttle-control system โ€” were the cause of the unintended acceleration.

At the time, legal experts said the Oklahoma verdict might cause Toyota to consider a broad settlement of the remaining cases. Until then, Toyota had been riding momentum from several trials where juries found it was not liable.

Toyota has blamed drivers, stuck accelerators or floor mats that trapped the gas pedal for the acceleration claims that led to the big recalls of Camrys and other vehicles. The company has repeatedly denied its vehicles are flawed.

No recalls have been issued related to problems with onboard electronics. In the Oklahoma case, Toyota attorneys theorized that the driver mistakenly pumped the gas pedal instead of the brake when her Camry ran through an intersection and slammed into an embankment.

But after the verdict, jurors told AP they believed the testimony of an expert who said he found flaws in the car's electronics.

Toyota also had to pay millions for recalls, as well as a series of fines totaling $68 million to the NHTSA, the U.S. government's road safety watchdog, for being slow to report acceleration problems.

Still, the payments won't hurt Toyota's finances very much. In its last fiscal quarter alone, Toyota posted a $5.2 billion profit, crediting a weak yen and strong global sales.

Toyota's U.S. market share, however, has fallen more than 4 percentage points since unintended acceleration came to the forefront in August of 2009, when a California Highway Patrol officer and three others were killed in a fiery crash. The officer's runaway car was traveling more than 120 mph when it crashed and burst into flames. One of his family members called police about a minute before the crash to report the vehicle had no brakes and the accelerator was stuck.

At the time, Toyota controlled 17.8 percent of the U.S. market. Gas prices were high, playing to Toyota's fuel-efficient small cars and hybrids. Detroit automakers were in serious financial trouble and had few fuel-efficient cars for sale.

By last month, though, Toyota's share fell to 13.3 percent, according to Autodata Corp., as the company faced intense competition in small and midsize cars from resurgent Detroit automakers and Korean brands Hyundai and Kia.

The Toyota criminal charge and settlement could foreshadow what's in store for General Motors. The same U.S. attorney's office is investigating the Detroit auto giant for its slow response to a faulty ignition switch problem in older compact cars that has been linked to at least 31 crashes and 12 deaths. NHTSA also is investigating whether GM withheld information about the problem and could fine the automaker $35 million.

__

Krisher contributed from Detroit
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...
64 REPLIES 64

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
There were several issues Toyota had to deal with at the time.

One was floor mats.

The second issue was pedal bind.

The third was incompetent and dishonest people.

I never did quiet understand #1? :h How can a mat that gets "under" the pedal cause the pedal to stick WOT? It makes no sense to me. I have had mats get on top of the pedal. It was no big deal. I just reached down, said a few bad words and pull the mat back to the seat.

I had a nephew that worked for Toyota at the time of this mess. I asked him what he was doing. He said he replaced pedal assemblies and put in carpet clips all day long. I asked him why he was replacing the pedals in the cars. He told me because Toyota had a recall going and he was the one that got to do the gravy job. He said it had something to do with pedal bind. I didn't know what that meant at the time but I do now after reading things like this.

The third issue is a tough one for Toyota. Much like the Pepsi syringe deal people jumped on the band wagon and wanted to be a lawsuit millionaire.

How many cases and what % of 1, 2 and 3 is open for debate.

I do know one thing. Every time I belt myself into a race car I make very sure I can shut the engine off if the throttle every sticks open. I practice it the first thing in the morning before the race and think about before every pass. Even as good as this person was she did not think about the kill switch.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
..."And BTW the way I did google this using several different key words and never found anything from an reliable source, showing the data Car and Driver reported."...

PERRY! Here's your reading, go to the Executive Summary and open the PDF, it's only 179 pages.

nhtsa study on Toyota Unintended Acceleration

Regards, BGood;)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Oh BTW spoon I have to say your are 100% correct there are a lot of LEO that are aragent idiots!

I said SOME... not A LOT!!!;) I would correct your spelling on arrogant, but I wouldn't want to prove your point!!! :B

And yes, I feel as though Toyota decided it was cheaper to quietly pay $1.2 billion then to fight this out in a public arena and go through all the bad publicity again. If I recall, this is only a third of their PROFITS, so its not putting the company out of business.

Despite all the press that came out proving that there was nothing inherently more dangerous about the Toyota than any other vehicle sold in the US, you still have people that refuse to believe the truth and want to condemn Toyota. I don't understand the mentality, but its not worth my time trying to figure it out.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/its-all-your-fault-the-dot-renders-its-verdict-on-toyotas-unint...

And there you go an out side third party with facts. So yes I can accept this and yes I was wrong. Oh BTW spoon I have to say your are 100% correct there are a lot of LEO that are aragent idiots!

Thanks Hannibal for posting a link backed up with facts. Now the question becomes why was Toyota fined since the DOT proved that none of these crashes could be linked to the TCM. Make you stop and say WTF really?

And BTW the way I did google this using several different key words and never found anything from an reliable source, showing the data Car and Driver reported.

Doss anyone have another jar of catsup, this damn crow tastes like chit!

Don

i've eaten so much crow over the years I've got pen feathers! I think Toyota settled to avoid the resurgence of negative publicity. Facts are kinda boring. Hearsay is much more fun and spreads like wildfire and is usually accepted as fact. The floor mats in my Prius are secured twice at the rear of the mat and is cut way short of the new short gas pedal.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/its-all-your-fault-the-dot-renders-its-verdict-on-toyotas-unint...

And there you go an out side third party with facts. So yes I can accept this and yes I was wrong. Oh BTW spoon I have to say your are 100% correct there are a lot of LEO that are aragent idiots!

Thanks Hannibal for posting a link backed up with facts. Now the question becomes why was Toyota fined since the DOT proved that none of these crashes could be linked to the TCM. Make you stop and say WTF really?

And BTW the way I did google this using several different key words and never found anything from an reliable source, showing the data Car and Driver reported.

Don

My understanding is that they hid the fact that the floor mat issue potentially affected a lot more vehicles and lied about it. Only after pressed did they do the bigger recall.

What the public seems to believe (fueled by the media) is that they hid some kind of software issue with the gas pedal, which just isn't supported by facts. This, is what I take issue with, and I believe Spoon as well (but I won't put words in his mouth).
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Ford had the Pinto fireballs back in the day, Dodge had the subpar front ends with the "Death Wobble", I was able to experience that a couple of times in my 09', what a treat it was. Anyway, people were hurt and killed just like in GM and Toyota's situation and just like Toyota and GM they weren't exactly Johnny on the spot in showing accountability and rectifying the situation. Corporations are plaqued by greed at all cost and thats just the way it is. Oh yeh, Firestone...now theres another wow factor.

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
When someone posts an link hat says All Of these reported incidents were caused by the floor mat or mat stacked on top of another then I will say I was wrong. But sorry it has to be a third party not Toyota.

That graph is pretty telling. The consequences of media hype at its best.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
How many of those are drive by wire? To me that makes a big difference. Do these vehicles have sensors on the throttle blade and also the throttle pedal? On the snowmobiles I used to have had a sensor on the carb and also on the thumb throttle. If the carb slide was open but the connection was not made on the thumb lever the ignition cut off. Now this would not work on a stuck under the floor mat scenario though. But in the event of a true runaway with no floor mat obstruction how does this happen on a modern automobile?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty bad when you have one car maker with unintended accelerating and can't get it shut off, and you have another car maker with ignitions shutting off while driving.
I guess some of that quality control from the RV business is rubbing off.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
bguy wrote:
What ticks me off is they didn't bother/care to/see the need for/spend the money on/think enough about their customers to install the brake override technology until it was blaringly obvious it needs to be there. To me it's borderline stupidity to think it would never be needed. Are they so arrogant to think their electronics could never fail? Makes me worry what other features they don't deem necessary, safety or otherwise.

Before you fall of your high horse, you might not have one either. My 2007 Ford Crown Vic allows me to stomp on the brake and gas at the same time and spin the tires. My 1995 Ford F150 was the same. My wife's 1998 Explorer is the same.

Go out and test your vehicle. You can probably mash on the gas and brake at the same time and it won't cut off your accelerator.

Nissan started doing it in all their vehicles in 2005. GM started in 2012. Ford started in 2005, but didn't get 100% implementation until 2010. Toyota started in all vehicles starting in 2010. I know that Chrysler had a brake override in the early 2000's in the 1500 with Hemi's, but can't find when they went to 100% implementation.

FYI there is no federal mandate for brake override systems. Its not about arrogance or stupidity, its about making the safest and most feature rich vehicle they can within a set budget. We all complain about the escalating cost of vehicles, but we have people like you that DEMAND every possible safety feature.

Personally, I would rather the vehicle cost $1000 less and I assume the responsibility for hitting only one pedal at a time.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
On edit... the linked article says the same thing I just wrote. Its a much more technically correct answer there. Essentially Toyota didn't have a brake override on the drive-by-wire system.

What ticks me off is they didn't bother/care to/see the need for/spend the money on/think enough about their customers to install the brake override technology until it was blaringly obvious it needs to be there. To me it's borderline stupidity to think it would never be needed. Are they so arrogant to think their electronics could never fail? Makes me worry what other features they don't deem necessary, safety or otherwise.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
On edit... the linked article says the same thing I just wrote. Its a much more technically correct answer there. Essentially Toyota didn't have a brake override on the drive-by-wire system.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to know why when someone says something about a brand they don't have they said to be bashing? I never "bashed Toyota" inany of my responses. I posted links a stated what I believed to be ture. When someone posts an link hat says All Of these reported incidents were caused by the floor mat or mat stacked on top of another then I will say I was wrong. But sorry it has to be a third party not Toyota.

If you are referring to comments I made, its because you based your entire opinion on incorrect information. I pointed out to you that your entire argument (argument being no proof that a wrong floormat was installed) was invalid. Rather than provide other proof to substantiate your claim, or simply withdraw from the argument, you chose to ignore the fact and provide a biography of the life of the deceased.

To me, that is bashing. You don't seem to have any first hand knowledge of the incident, you base your entire conclusion on the wrong data, then you either continue down the same road or fail to retract your statement when the facts are laid out before you.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS