cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Used Camper pre-viewing checklist

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for a used truck camper and searched high and low for some pre-buyer checklists etc. Anyway, I've developed some questions for the seller PRE-visit to make sure I don't waste his/her time or my diesel/time looking at something that didn't even meet my criteria in the first place.

I'd appreciate it if you truck camping "grey beards" would look it over and provide some input.

Basic Seller Advert Confirmation Details

Confirm Advertisement Details:

Year, Manufacturer, Type

Color (confirm) sometimes folks use old pics

Bought new / used, owned how long

Free and clear transferable Title

Current State Registration (some States require some donโ€™t)

Any Insurance claims on camper during ownership or known with previous owner

Do you have the original Manufacturer Equip List with Options

Any user camper modifications accomplished

Has Camper ever been weighed for actual vs. manufacturer placard

If so, what was it_________________

Used on a SRW or DRW Truck โ€“ how did it ride etc.

Estimate your Annual / Monthly usage

Last used? What did you like about it? Not like about it?

Obtain Sellerโ€™s Overall Objective Condition Rating:

Outstanding (Like New wear and tear virtually non-existant),
Excellent (Very light wear and tear for year),
Good (Normal wear and tear for age);
or
Have Seller give it an objective condition rating between 1- 10

If seller seems open during discussion ask the reason camper is for sale

I want to know all these pertinent items before I invest in a road trip to check out a potential buy. I canโ€™t tell you how many ads/pics are in error from model year to condition. Anything I can gleen before I waste a trip in the diesel is worth it. If Iโ€™m happy with the above I continue with the next barrage of questions.

Camper Condition Details

Odors

Non-smoking or smoking owners

Mold/Mildew/Animal/Human

None

Known Repair History:

Any Manufacturer warranty work accomplished, RV Service Center mx, owner accomplished, details on each

Receipts / records of maintenance

Existing known squawks (things needing repaired) immediately, real soon, items being watched closely, or just cosmetic

Preventative MX accomplished - Winterized for winter seasons/None, recaulking as necessary or on a schedule, interior/exterior cleaning/detailing and frequency

Storage โ€“

Under cover
Open to outside elements (type of environment where parked (under sap trees, direct sunlight, etc))

Exterior:

Damage:
None, slight, minor dents, nicks, dings, scratches, visible holes/damage to exterior

Finish:
Like new, light fading, decal/metal/fiberglass condition

Condition of:

Windows, camper jacks, batteries, generator, electrical wiring plugs/outlets, doors, lights, vents, skylights, antenna, speakers, bumper step, bumper, awnings, plumbing, water inlet, water tank, storage compartments, ladder, solar, A/C, furnace, etc.

Interior:

Color of fabric /walls

Cabinet wood type and condition

Visible Damage:

None, slight, normal nicks and dings, visible holes/damage in wood, tears in upholstery, etc.

Known invisible damage:

Previous water damage, leaks, electrical problems, airflow etc.

Condition of:

Windows/shades, doors, lights, skylights, vents, plumbing, electrical, stove, refrigerator, microwave, carpet, flooring, cabinets, stereo DVD, TV, walls, furniture (dinette/Bed), solar, A/C, Furnace, basement, etc.

Advertised Price:

Did seller perform a current Kelly Blue Book evaluation

Price Negotiable after inspection / Firm / Non-negotiable

Additional Items: Anything not included from pics/advert, jack remote included, Truck Tie downs included (frame and or camper), truck mat, camper tarp, stands, etc.

If we agree to a price:

Will you accept a deposit first then Cash, Check, Cashiers Check, Acct transfer, trade, what?

Or, straight cash once we agree to a price?

If we make an agreement with the transfer of $$ I want a Bill of Sale with VIN and Transferable Title

If Iโ€™m satisfied with the above info Iโ€™ll go check it out.
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.
5 REPLIES 5

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
When I went on the hunt I had items in mind.
1-not a pop up
2-north south bed
3-bath room
4-Rear window
5-Fits 8 foot bed
I knew all this from previous experience.
This narrowed my search considerably. Do you know what you want in a TC? I aggree with the previous poster about the length they stick around. Drive out to see them. It is worth seeing the different quality of materials. Believe me there is a difference in quality, that is why I ended up with my Lance and stayed away from the newer models of lesser valued materials.

Pick out what features you are looking for and ask those questions. Then go look, if you dont, you will not know what to compare it to.

Good luck and let us know.

p.s. Nice user name!
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Jamm3r
Explorer
Explorer
Lots and lots of questions there

I myself would stick to things that would determine whether the drive is worthwhile. Whether or not there's a remote for the jacks probably wouldn't make the cut IMO

I see it as the buyer's responsibility to determine whether the make/model/year of camper are of interest or not.

Unless you are buying a basket case as-is for an as-is price the questions that matter the most are:

- are there any leaks where rainwater gets in
- do all the systems work
- can you test all the systems before you buy
1971 Cayo C-11 truck camper, 2010 Airstream Classic, 1997 Chevrolet K2500, 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
maybe some info here might help you.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/264829.cfm
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The phone call to the seller will also tell a lot.

Not always but generally their attitude towards your inquiry and how they react to your questions can be very telling... especially if you know what to ask. You have a long list... and unless an initial ad is not presented with a photo (a la Craig's List or the like) I would not worry too much on colors as I would overall condition. I would tend to focus on any leaks and workability of the appliances and components.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

elkhornsun
Explorer
Explorer
When I was looking for a used campers the ones that were desireable models in excellent condition were usually snapped up in a couple days. No way the sellers would have taken the time to jump through your hoops.

I also found that people with young children would say that there camper was in excellent condition and the reality was quite different. I would not waste time looking at a camper where the current owner is selling because their children are now too big and they need something larger.

If you take the factory sticker weight and add 500 lbs. you will have a good idea of the actual "dry" weight of the camper as it now stands.

Ride is mostly a function of the truck used and older ones needed more aftermarket goodies like anti-sway bars then new trucks in general and this also varies by manufacturer as well. How their truck handled the camper is relevant only if you plan to buy their truck as well in a package deal.