cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used “Canadian” trucks

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at a few used newer model year used heavy duty pick ups. Some I have seen here in the Pacific NW are having Canadian window stickers from new that say “Not for Sale in US”. Dealers are not openly disclosing these are built for Canada ????.

Any potential issues? The one I test drove 2020 Ford F-350 seemed fine and I didn’t realize until I left and did deeper research. I didn’t seem to notice the speedo reading in km. Funny, the dealer said it was the owner’s previous truck from new. Liars.
46 REPLIES 46

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Strange to see to see "US" being called "Imperial". Canada used Imperial ( as in British Empire) for gallons etc, while the USA uses US gallons.

EG, we used to call those oil drums, "45 gallon drums" but the same drum in the US is called a "55 gallon drum".

Now in Canada things are supposed to be metric, but they sell "gallon" cans of paint, eg, which are US gallons, not Imperial gallons.

Truck beds are said to be 8 foot or whatever in feet still.

We still buy "2 by 4s" and "4 by 8" panels. New babies are reported in the paper in pounds right after the first time they were reported in grams in 1975. Wow that must have hurt, people thought.

In 1975 a local hardware store had a deal on "metric yardsticks", which was a good indication how well metric was going to go over 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
gmckenzie wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
My 2015 GM sierra denali spedo goes from 0-140. You can select to have it say MPH below that or KPH below that. Did away with the combined metric/english spedo display.

Same for my 2016. I can switch it to US and the needle just moves differently is all. There is only one set of numbers on the speedo.

Where do you change it?

in the setting menu for the vehicle. In ours it is on the main display under setting IIRC. Where you customize all the vehicle settings.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmckenzie wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
My 2015 GM sierra denali spedo goes from 0-140. You can select to have it say MPH below that or KPH below that. Did away with the combined metric/english spedo display.

Same for my 2016. I can switch it to US and the needle just moves differently is all. There is only one set of numbers on the speedo.

Where do you change it?
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Maybe the aftermarket gauge face is only in imperial?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
I looked at my truck today. Only shows MPH. I am sure there is a setting I cannot find. I do know the truck came from Canada because the original owner has his name, address and phone number in the owners manual, plus the dealer told me.

If it was properly imported it will look the same to the average car person. You should be able to obtain the original Monroney sticker.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at my truck today. Only shows MPH. I am sure there is a setting I cannot find. I do know the truck came from Canada because the original owner has his name, address and phone number in the owners manual, plus the dealer told me.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yup, but not sure how the conversation digressed to this in the first place. Nor why it is of any significance.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2017 was a Canadian truck. I picked it up in 2019 with 27,000 miles on it, had the full factory warranty(or what was left of it). Has a normal imperial gauge set. The metric numbers are small. Only thing different about it is you can't turn the lights off unless you are in park. 37,000 miles, no issues.

All my GM stuff has been metric based fasteners for a lot of years.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
On the newer trucks, just a button on the dash changes all the readouts from Metric to SAE.

the physical speed guage doesnt change though,they have both metric and SAE on them and if its a canadian modle it will have the metric promanant and the sae in small numbers , I dont know if the US models have the opposit or just SAE. for example in my canadin f350 platinum I can switch all my readouts to SAE but that is just for the odomiter, tempature, fuel range and such like that. My spedomiter will still show me both at the same time, just the metric is more prominant.

Steve

I am not sure what you are asking exactly?

Steve

What does SAE stand for with regards to a measurement that's used in only three countries in the world?

well, it's the Imperial system vs. metric rather than SAE

feet/gallons (of which there are two, U.S. gallons (4qts) and Imperial gallons (5qts)) /pounds. those terribly antiquated and unrelated methods used in the U.S, myanmar, liberia

vs. kg, meters, litres used by the rest of the world.

Actually it's the "consumer" side of the US hung up on the antiquated system. Thankfully most every company mfg products has switched to the metric system for hardware.

Don't know about Ford or GM, but my Rams both the 2001 and the 2016 are 100% metric.

GM started migrating to metric in the early 80's and by the 90's was almost all metric. Only a few holdover parts were fractional. On my 95 S10 it was virtually all metric hardware.

About the only thing I've found non metric anymore are things like gallons of milk, pounds of coffee and speed limit and mileage signs, sq ft. of houses, etc.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
On the newer trucks, just a button on the dash changes all the readouts from Metric to SAE.

the physical speed guage doesnt change though,they have both metric and SAE on them and if its a canadian modle it will have the metric promanant and the sae in small numbers , I dont know if the US models have the opposit or just SAE. for example in my canadin f350 platinum I can switch all my readouts to SAE but that is just for the odomiter, tempature, fuel range and such like that. My spedomiter will still show me both at the same time, just the metric is more prominant.

Steve

I am not sure what you are asking exactly?

Steve

What does SAE stand for with regards to a measurement that's used in only three countries in the world?

well, it's the Imperial system vs. metric rather than SAE

feet/gallons (of which there are two, U.S. gallons (4qts) and Imperial gallons (5qts)) /pounds. those terribly antiquated and unrelated methods used in the U.S, myanmar, liberia

vs. kg, meters, litres used by the rest of the world.

Actually it's the "consumer" side of the US hung up on the antiquated system. Thankfully most every company mfg products has switched to the metric system for hardware.

Don't know about Ford or GM, but my Rams both the 2001 and the 2016 are 100% metric.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
Fish mojo wrote:
Is there a Maple Syrup dispenser on the Canuck models?

Mine has Molson Canadian dispenser..

Some real beer! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
spud1957 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Steve

Well SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers. An organization that has nothing to do with the measurements the US uses.

The non-metric measurement is called the Imperial System.

Today, measuring in feet and inches is part of the Standard American English (SAE) or Imperial units of measurement, along with volumes like gallons and fluid ounces and weights like pounds. It's standard in the United States and two other countries in the world. so SAE actualy has a lot to do with it.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100