cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a 48" Extension on hitch

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance 880 (10'9") which only needs a 41" extension on my Reese Class V hitch. However I just found the full 48" one on CL and I'm considering using it without cutting. I'm thinking that with the extra 7" I may be able to use a hitch mounted cargo basket and still be able to open the rear door. Other than that, he only other possible uses I might make for the extension would be to tow a lightweight horse trailer with one horse. That would be well less than the rated 4000# and 400# tongue weight limit.

Has anybody done this? Thanks. Joe
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
19 REPLIES 19

Potentnuts
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Boatycall wrote:

Only a Superhitch is engineered and DOT approved to run a hitch extension.

....I now step off my soap box.

Not to question your experience , or TorkLift integrity , but I could not find any reference to DOT approval on their website . Nor have I seen Dot approval for any other tow hitch brand. If you have more information please share , thanks .
are these dot approved?
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4x4, full banks kit with iq2, BD bulletproofed transmission,BD Jake brake,BD auxiliary Trans cooler, rear swaybar, overload springs,superhitch,big ass bumper etc etc
2000 jeep Cherokee built F&R arb lockers,4.56's, 4.5" and 33"s etc etc

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
Ok folks I did not want to start a SAFETY discussion. I've had this Reese Tow Beast Class V hitch for many years (since 2005), used hitch extensions on it, that's part of the design of the thing, and am aware of the drawbacks and the advantages.

My question is: has anybody used an extension a few inches longer than necessary to provide clearance for the TC door?

Thanks again.
Joe

Joe,

I think the SAFETY discussion came up because those saying go torklift are trying to say....they would not use/do what you're asking. Otherwise, if your comfortable with how your setup is now and won't exceed the limits of the equipment then I see no drawback to using a bit longer hitch other than having more length behind you.

Torklift all the way. Lol
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:

Only a Superhitch is engineered and DOT approved to run a hitch extension.

....I now step off my soap box.

Not to question your experience , or TorkLift integrity , but I could not find any reference to DOT approval on their website . Nor have I seen Dot approval for any other tow hitch brand. If you have more information please share , thanks .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JohnAM
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
Be sure to get MELLO MIKE's blessings... He runs with lots of Truck Campers with long extensions...

I always thought this one was neat from his blog page showing a long extended hitch with chains to make it stable..

google image

Roy Ken

Hey that is my rig in the pic, posted by Mellow Mike with my permission, to illustrate boondocking off the main roads. This is at the bottom of Shumaker grade in the Grande Ronde canyon. I will be there again in Oct. That is a supertruss hitch and it also tows my 2009 Jeep Wrangler or 21ft Seaswirl Striper WA cuddy. Both significantly more load than the pontoon boats shown, but still within the rating of the SuperHitch. It is a 48in extension and I see no reason that the OP can't use longer than needed so long as he stays within the rated limits that are posted in this thread.
2011 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie DRW 4x4, Torklift, Superhitch, Stableloads
06 Dodge 3500 CTD Quad DRW 4x4 6sp Man, TorkLift, Superhitch, Stableloads, KYB Monomax (Traded in)
11 Lance 1191
97 Lance 980 (Sold)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, you'll feel the slop or hear it if the windows are down. Still, I've ridden around people who seemed to be oblivious to the sound. ๐Ÿ™‚

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
I could see the extension flexing vertically (yes there was slop too). Would you not feel it chucking when driving on uneven payment with excessive much slop? I don't think his hitch weight was that heavy, yet it caused visible deflection in the extension - I cannot image what it would have looked like with my trailer back there.

I was passed at about 75-80 mph while going 60 mph the first time, but passed him midway on the I-5 southbound climb near the Camino Island exit (it goes to four lanes southbound) still doing my 60 and that's when I actually got to see the setup flexing before he cranked up his speed again on the flats. I didn't see him after that, but we turned on to US 2 eastbound...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
I couldn't believe the flex in his connection as he was traveling down the freeway.

Could have been the extension, but could have been the play in all of the parts. Many hitch parts fit together loosely. I hand fit mine with welds to keep them from having so much movement.

As far as driving too fast goes, I'm still amazed at how fast people pull stuff and what they pull with. There was a wreck just outside of Spokane. We didn't stop since they had enough help, but the trailer seemed to be almost twice as long as the SUV pulling it with both upside down beside the road. BTW, the trailer had at least one slide, too.

On another trip we saw two guys traveling together driving down 90 and then later on the side of the road. We could help but to note that they were pulling the wrong trailers. The full size pickup had a tear drop trailer and the SUV was pulling a 24-26 trailer. Go figure!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam
jmcgsd wrote:
My question is: has anybody used an extension a few inches longer than necessary to provide clearance for the TC door?

My TC has a basement, so the door swings above tongue jack and anything else on the trailer. I currently run a 28" SuperTruss which is longer than I need, but allows for sharper turns with my enclosed trailer than if it was flush with the camper bumper. My previous truck used more length of the same extension and I have touched the camper jack to the front trailer wall when making right turns out of driveways that had a steep short angle.

Bedlam
I was passed by a truck carrying a camper with a 2'-2.5' single extension to tow his 16-17' aluminum boat yesterday (his speed is for another topic). I couldn't believe the flex in his connection as he was traveling down the freeway. Just seeing that made me feel much better about my double truss setup.

As has been posted numerous times, look at the side plates of any of the double receiver SuperHitch's Torklift sells compared to other 2.5" receivers on the market. They reach deeper toward the front of the vehicle and are thicker so they can handle the leverage exerted by the SuperTruss. This is a complete towing system that was designed for extension use and Torklift is willing to put a lifetime guaranty behind their ratings and product.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Ok folks I did not want to start a SAFETY discussion. I've had this Reese Tow Beast Class V hitch for many years (since 2005), used hitch extensions on it, that's part of the design of the thing, and am aware of the drawbacks and the advantages.

Thanks again.
Joe
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Be sure to get MELLO MIKE's blessings... He runs with lots of Truck Campers with long extensions...

I always thought this one was neat from his blog page showing a long extended hitch with chains to make it stable..

google image

Roy Ken

That is a Superhitch. Use you're browser's zoom function and you can clearly see that is a SuperTruss, and the Superhitch name on the right.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
When did they stop teaching geometry in school? Even the hitch extension above is doubled up with chains for a trailer with three inflatable boats... 1000 lbs or less. Just because you can buy something it does not mean it's safe to use.

I'm not understanding your point. Can you clarify?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
When did they stop teaching geometry in school? Even the hitch extension above is doubled up with chains for a trailer with three inflatable boats... 1000 lbs or less. Just because you can buy something it does not mean it's safe to use.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hitches don't need to have extensions to fail. There have been many documented cases of hitches failing for other reasons.

In any case, you have to keep in mind that the max rating is for the extension. Reese, for instance, rates their extensions. Take a look at their site, but here are some examples. NOTE: they are way under SuperHitch ratings for the same lengths.

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/hitch-accessories/other-accessories/trailer-hitch-extension/hxyNMz...

Titanยฎ, Receiver Extension, 2-1/2" to 2" Extension
24" Length 600/6,000 lbs. WC & 800/8,000 lbs. WD
34" Length 450/4,500 lbs. WC & 600/6,000 lbs. WD
41" Length 500/5,000 lbs. WC & 750/7,500 lbs. WD
48" Length 400/4,000 lbs. WC & 600/6,000 lbs. WD

Some SuperHitch numbers with Truss for comparison.

SuperTruss Extension
48" Extension And WD, 1,200 Lbs Tongue, 12,000 Lbs Pull
48" Extension Without Weight Distribution 600 Lbs Tongue, 6,000 Lbs Pull