cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a truck camper when I have 5th wheel rails in the bed.

dpam
Explorer
Explorer
Considering buying a truck camper and still have hitch rails in the truck bed. We want to continue using our 5th wheel trailer on long trips. How do you use a truck camper when there are hitch rails in the truck bed? Is anyone doing the same thing? If so how do you make the camper sit in the truck bed securely! Greatly appreciate your input.
8 REPLIES 8

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility, which might be better to consider for someone not already having a 5th wheel hitch, is to get under the bed mounted rails, which are used with Reese Signature and Elite Hitches. That's what I have now for my 5th wheel, and plan to keep installed in my truck I when I get a new NL camper this spring.

Also, since the under the bed mounted rails do not portrude above the truck bed, and no blocking is needed to protect them, this will give your camper a lower center of gravity, which might be beneficial in some cases.
a_flyfisher

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Put those hitch rails to work keeping the truck camper from moving in the bed.

Here's a link to a post I made a few years back about using the hitch rails with a truck camper.

Linky

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Thick horse stall mats will work too, providing they are thicker than the height of the hitch rails.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not like the foam board insulation. The 2X4's work well.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used 2X4's because that what I had on hand.Worked fine.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Reese rails in my 2006 dodge (sold).
I used 2 pieces of 1/2 treated plywood and still needed to add one sheet of 1/4, all screwed together with counter sunk wood sctews to get height. If I did it again I might try 1" foam board insolation.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had rails for over ten years on my '96 2500. I have used 2x6s laid flat side to side. I put two in front of the wheel wells, one between the rails, and two behind the wheel wells. I have used other methods but always came back to the 2x6s.

I now have a '04 3500 with rails. I cut two horse stall mats in about 12" wide strips. I place them side to side like I did with the 2x6s. The mat was 3/4" thick, so I stacked two pieces. Although a bit pricy, about $90, they are the best. I leave them in withe 5er in tow. They weigh enough the wind does not blow them out. They do not slide, nor does my fiberglass bottom TC. Nothing slides including lumber. Being strips, they are easy to remove from the truck.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You make up plywood filler panels to raise the level of the rest of the bed floor above the 5th wheel rails. Then throw a rubber mat over the whole works. Drop your camper in and tie it down.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.