cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

V-10 clutch kit

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Who makes a decent clutch kit for a F-250 V-10? I looked on ebay and prices were all over. Is Sachs any good?
7 REPLIES 7

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Unfortunately these days the dual disk clutches fail mechanically before they wear out. And doing so at about 70~100K is normal.
If a DD clutch starts acting up on you, get it fixed fast. Otherwise they can do a lot of very expensive damage.

I put a DD organic behind my 01 Cummins and could not be happier! Can be a little grabby, but not very often. No more effort to depress the peddle than standard clutch! There is no reason that V10 can't make good use of a good DD clutch, South Bend makes a very good clutch. I run a Valair also a good clutch might check with both. The DD are not cheap, but will hold the tourqe of your V10.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately these days the dual disk clutches fail mechanically before they wear out. And doing so at about 70~100K is normal.
If a DD clutch starts acting up on you, get it fixed fast. Otherwise they can do a lot of very expensive damage.

Bedlam
I expected these larger trucks to get better life on their clutches. When I had a a little truck with a 59 hp diesel pulling 1000-3000 lbs, I got 100K miles out of the OEM clutch. When I stepped up to a 121 hp gasoline pulling 2000-5000 lbs, I also got 100K miles out of the clutch (this one had 4wd low range allowing me to recover a heavy boat). The next two larger trucks have been automatics, so I didn't have long term experience with a manual in these models. Is that typical of a large truck that tows?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Beware of South Bend clutches. Some of them are horrendously grabby - like the one that was installed in my truck.
('m sure someone will be along to say they are the greatest ever. That may be true but mine is terrible)
Basically the worst thing I ever did to it.

FWIW, clutches made with Kevlar have very nice manners. If you can't decide between them then your at least safe if you get one made with this compound.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
Sachs is the clutch division of ZF, the manufacturer of many of the manual transmissions used by Ford. Of the three clutches I put in my '95 F350 PSD, (Valeo, LUK, and Sachs) the Sachs was the best one. I understand South Bend also makes a great clutch.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions regarding going though that many clutches: the OEM clutch was of course the dual-mass and it died the normal death around 75K. The Valeo that replaced it lasted a few years until the throw-out bearing started squealing so I replaced it before it failed. The LUK clutch that replaced it lasted another few years until the throw-out bearing actually disintegrated while down shifting on a highway exit ramp. The Sachs clutch that replaced it felt the best, engaged the best, sounded the best of the three. It was still going strong when I sold the truck a few years ago with over 250K miles on it.

:):)
Thanks that's what I wanted to know.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Sachs is the clutch division of ZF, the manufacturer of many of the manual transmissions used by Ford. Of the three clutches I put in my '95 F350 PSD, (Valeo, LUK, and Sachs) the Sachs was the best one. I understand South Bend also makes a great clutch.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions regarding going though that many clutches: the OEM clutch was of course the dual-mass and it died the normal death around 75K. The Valeo that replaced it lasted a few years until the throw-out bearing started squealing so I replaced it before it failed. The LUK clutch that replaced it lasted another few years until the throw-out bearing actually disintegrated while down shifting on a highway exit ramp. The Sachs clutch that replaced it felt the best, engaged the best, sounded the best of the three. It was still going strong when I sold the truck a few years ago with over 250K miles on it.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Who makes a decent clutch kit for a F-250 V-10? I looked on ebay and prices were all over. Is Sachs any good?

Rock Auto usually offers several choices of parts. quick shipment.