cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long is too long when looking at new TT

das
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to upgrade our current 28'9" TT to something larger with more room. We are leaning toward the Keystone Premier 34BHPR that is 37' long. I know that many manufacturers make TT's longer but looking for opinions from others that camp with longer TT's to see if there are other disadvantages to them other than towing a longer and heavier trailer. Do you ever have troube fitting into camping spots?
24 REPLIES 24

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I would check with your favorite campgrounds for max length. As an example, here in CA, the state park system has a list. Not many allow for 35'plus. See: http://www.parks.ca.gov/rvlength

Norm
F1BNorm

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
No TT is too big if it fits your needs. We all have different needs.

Except for Glacier National Park, the DW and I had never had CG issues with a 25 ft. TT.

The dealer told us he had several used 22 to 25 ft. models because people got โ€œtwo foot-itisโ€ and moved up to 28 plus units in a couple of years. We think the 25 ft. is just fine.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
....... I can't imagine every needing something 37' long, unless I was going to have a seasonal site somewhere....

Here is a scenario for ya: Two adult married people traveling full time and caring for a mentally disabled 62 year old adult also.

We want her to have her own room and her own 1/2 bath.
The wife wants an island kitchen.

Can't find any unit under 37 feet that has those features. I would love to tow smaller.

Besides a basic principle of business: Only build what people will buy. So enough people have to be buying these bigger trailers.

To each his own.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded from a 24' to 28' TT and I noticed some differences but not too much. The 28' actually handles and tracks better backing up. But it just looks so much more massive than its predecessor. I can't imagine anything over 30' long. It was a tight fit getting our 28' TT (which is 31' bumper to hitch)into some sites this past summer, and also just navigating some CG twisty roads with trees along both sides.

It isn't really even an issue for us, because the 28' TT maxxes out the capacity of my TV, and also is the longest TT I can fit on the side of the house.

Since my two daughters are now young adults and don't come with us very often, anything bigger than what we have is overkill. I can't imagine every needing something 37' long, unless I was going to have a seasonal site somewhere. Even then, most people have TTs in the 30-32' length on seasonal sites, unless they have park models.

IMO - the abundance of the room provided with slideouts today negates the need to have extremely long units. Unless you have a really large family and want to lock them away on the opposite end of the TT. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34' and a 19.5' trailer. The short trailer gets most the use and they both get pulled by a F-350 diesel. The long trailer is nicer if you can get it into where you want to go. As far as pulling there is only about 1 mile per gallon difference and the large one actually tows just as well. I just can't get it back where I can get the short trailer. It all depends on what you are going to do with it. If you can get it where you want to go, get the bigger one. For getting way out in the back country, my large trailer would never make it.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34' and a 19.5' trailer. The short trailer gets most the use and they both get pulled by a F-350 diesel. The long trailer is nicer if you can get it into where you want to go. As far as pulling there is only about 1 mile per gallon difference and the large one actually tows just as well. I just can't get it back where I can get the short trailer. It all depends on what you are going to do with it. If you can get it where you want to go, get the bigger one. For getting way out in the back country, my large traier would never make it.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My current TT (Outback) is 35 1/2 feet long. With my truck, my total length is 55 and 1/2 feet long. I tow with a diesel 3500 duly. I have absolutely NO problems towing a trailer this size. The secret to towing a larger trailer is to have the right tow vehicle. If you skimp out and get a gas Chevy S-10 and expect to tow a 40 foot park model, you're in for a big surprise! Get the right tow vehicle and you can tow anything, comfortable, safe, and trouble free.

As far as camping, we've not had any problems getting into any campground, from our PUP days to the Outback days. We select our sites more careful these days, but we always get a spot at the campgrounds we are wanting to go to. You just have to plan it out a little more and accept the fact, you can't park 37 feet of trailer in a 10 foot tent space.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We had a (22FB) 27' tt. And then a (27rlss) 32' tt. And now a (33c) 34' class A. With the 34', we can fit in many (not all) of the campgrounds we went to with the 27' but our sites are limited and we usually have to reserve a lot further in advance. I'm having a lot of issues trying to find some last minute sites for next week but if I had anything over 36' I would be pretty out of luck.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
We only camp at state and national parks.

Only very very rarely any private campgrounds. Those are usually so rustic we have a harder time with them, than state parks, getting the 26BH through the campground roads with low tree branches and narrow turns. Their sites are usually even harder.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Camping spots? I can envision a wide open RV park and also a primitive campground.
What do you prefer?

therink
Explorer
Explorer
das wrote:
TV is a Chevrolet 2500 with 6.0. Most of our camping is within an hour from home with the farthest being 3 hours away but will probably only do that once or twice a year. Towing weight will be close to 8500# for the TT.

With the right hitch and distribution of trailer weight so tongue is at 13 percent you should be good.
My rig is 37 feet and I have never had a problem finding sites. Just have to be a little creative at times.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

das
Explorer
Explorer
TV is a Chevrolet 2500 with 6.0. Most of our camping is within an hour from home with the farthest being 3 hours away but will probably only do that once or twice a year. Towing weight will be close to 8500# for the TT.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
das wrote:
Hoping to upgrade our current 28'9" TT to something larger with more room. We are leaning toward the Keystone Premier 34BHPR that is 37' long. I know that many manufacturers make TT's longer but looking for opinions from others that camp with longer TT's to see if there are other disadvantages to them other than towing a longer and heavier trailer. Do you ever have troube fitting into camping spots?

Depends on where you like to camp. I've been disappointed in not being able to camp with the 29' (total campsite length)Jay Flight 26BH in the spots I was able to put the previous Jay Flight 19BH and the Pop Ups (all were about 23' total campsite length).

I definitely wouldn't go larger than 29' total campsite length. I think a trailer with a 25' total length would be great, if you could find a floorplan that fits your needs. For us, we needed the extra room.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Along with fewer sites in the campgrounds, will it still fit where you park the trailer between trips.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.