cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V10 or 7.3 power vs tundra 5.7

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
So I've known for a long time that I'm riding heavy. I'm now in a better position to try and correct this. I currently have an 08 tundra 5.7 pullin a Dutchman rubicon 1905TH. (19' box, 25' tounge to bumper) Factory weight just around 5800 lbs so some where around 7-8k lbs. (Our toys are 2 bikes or 2 kayaks, no atvs). Factory tounge weight of 810lbs? So realistically actual tounge weight of 1k. We live in denver and our trips consist of just on the other side of the Eisenhower with a few 3-4 hr extended weekend trips into the mountains.
I'm considering an early 2000s v10 or 7.3 for their durability and longevity. But after looking in to the the power on the v10 and 7.3, they are not that much better and I would be dropping from a 6speed to a 4.
My tundra pulls the trailer ok up the the "Ike challenge course". Most of it I put it into 2nd gear, hold 4-4.2k rpm which yields 45mph.
How would the v10 or 7.3 compare in performance.
Keep in mind, I know the truck handling and suspension will be better in a 250/350 I'm more concerned with pulling.
51 REPLIES 51

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
When you talk gas versus diesel its not a fair comparison. One is one thing the other is the other. So pick which one you want to use then you can make a intelligent decision on which rig you want to be your TV. So if you like gas then chose which gasser is better for your application. If you like diesel then pick which diesel is best for you application. When you talk tundra or 7.3 Well?? You could put the Tundra in the bed of the 7.3 and you wouldn't even know it's back there. That's not to say the 7.3 is better it's just saying they are built for two different reasons. Good luck with your choice let us know what you decide on.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would keep the Tundra. Unless you are grossly overloading your Tundra or planning on a big camper in the future, its not an upgrade...IMHO...thats coming from the former owner of a V10 F350 Dually.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Isn't the top of that pass around 11,000ft. With a naturally aspirated engine you lose something like 3-4% per 1000ft above sea level, so your current truck is probably putting out the power of a smart car near the top..

Now that's some funny stuff. :B

SmartCar 2014 is 70 hp.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
woody0331 wrote:
So I've known for a long time that I'm riding heavy. I'm now in a better position to try and correct this. I currently have an 08 tundra 5.7 pullin a Dutchman rubicon 1905TH. (19' box, 25' tounge to bumper) Factory weight just around 5800 lbs so some where around 7-8k lbs. (Our toys are 2 bikes or 2 kayaks, no atvs). Factory tounge weight of 810lbs? So realistically actual tounge weight of 1k. We live in denver and our trips consist of just on the other side of the Eisenhower with a few 3-4 hr extended weekend trips into the mountains.
I'm considering an early 2000s v10 or 7.3 for their durability and longevity. But after looking in to the the power on the v10 and 7.3, they are not that much better and I would be dropping from a 6speed to a 4.
My tundra pulls the trailer ok up the the "Ike challenge course". Most of it I put it into 2nd gear, hold 4-4.2k rpm which yields 45mph.
How would the v10 or 7.3 compare in performance.
Keep in mind, I know the truck handling and suspension will be better in a 250/350 I'm more concerned with pulling.

Here is how the math works out for you:

You're going to be right at 300HP with your Tundra at 7 to 8K foot mark.

Depending on what year of V10 you get you're going to be down to about 225HP so you're going to be down about 75 HP from the Tundra you have now. THAT IS A BUNCH!

A turbo diesel does not drop hardly any HP at altitude so we can just talk about what is from the factory. 210 to 275 HP.

As you can see the Tundra still puts out more HP then any engine you are considering from the factory.

One thing that is good about turbo diesels is you can turn them up with a tuner. The 7.3 is a great engine to tune because from the factory they are tuned very conservatively. With a 50 to 75 HP tune the 7.3 will pull up Ike faster than your Tundra. 🙂
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
Out of the three I think your best bet is the 7.3L. And I'm not saying that just because I'm driving one. A few bucks for a tuner and you will be making good power. Naturally aspirated engines have to work alot harder in the mountains because they are starved for air.. Also if you get the 7.3L or V10 you jump to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck...
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
At altitude, the diesel should be much better even though the rated HP isn't much better on paper.

Isn't the top of that pass around 11,000ft. With a naturally aspirated engine you lose something like 3-4% per 1000ft above sea level, so your current truck is probably putting out the power of a smart car near the top.

The turbo on the diesel will result in negligible loss of power at altitude. Of course there is no free ride, it's more expensive up front and if you do 70mph up that hill, it will be burning fuel fast.

Of course, you have to decide what is acceptable. It's been a couple years but 45mph is probably faster than the semi's so you aren't creating a backup unless you move over into the fast lane.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the older generation 7.3 diesel and Triton 6.8 V10, I believe that as long as the engines and transfer are in good condition, the torque values alone should exceed the 5.7 for Hill climbing. (esp the 7.3). HP is only part of the picture.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.