Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

value of a 17' Jayco Kiwi 2001

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!
What is the value of a 17' Jayco Kiwi 2001? I am not sure how to go about getting this information. When I go to NADA they want all kinds of info I don't have. What do you think would be a fair price? There is one for sale near me that I am interested in but I think they are asking too much. $6,700.
Thoughts?
Julie
16 REPLIES 16

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Wavesprite wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Dont buy that little 17ft hybrid. Hardly any payload and a bitter overpriced pill to take.

Sometimes people can't tow more then a little 17ft hybrid, though.....
and honestly, it isn't overpriced for our area here in California....I know that may sounds crazy, but it's very true! Hybrids are extremely hard to find out here.

she can tow a 5k dry trailer and has 6 kids......17ft kiwi not a good option.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
bikendan drove to Chi to get his...can't remember the dealer, but if you're interested, he also saved a bundle.

Yep, we ran into the same issues back in 2006 and i refused to pay inflated West Coast dealer prices and inflated used prices.

back then, a 2000/2001 used 17'-19' hybrid could sell for $12k-$13k.
we bought a brand new 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS for $14.5k and got a two year factory warrantee to boot. even with the trip costs to Chicago and back, we stilled saved $4,000 over what we would have paid out here for the same exact trailer. just made a camping trip out of the return.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
So, maybe this is just another reason to add to my list of being glad not to be in CA anymore, lol.

Are you specifically looking for pre-owned? Are you set on the smaller size? Just for the heck of it, suggest you go on RVWholesalers, they have several brands of hybrids with the Rockwood ROO being high on the list. Take a look and ask for a price quote. They're great to deal with and no games on the price. That's it. It may be that for a few dollars more you can have a mini-vacation and come home with a really big souvenir. Numerous advantages to new, the least of which is the warranty. I know it's not exactly right around the corner, but even accounting for the costs of driving from West TN to OH and back + motel overnight and camping enroute, we were over $4000 in savings on our 23SS over the guy here locally. Recently moved to a TT and saved even more. You might be pleasantly surprised.

bikendan drove to Chi to get his...can't remember the dealer, but if you're interested, he also saved a bundle.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
PAThwacker wrote:
Dont buy that little 17ft hybrid. Hardly any payload and a bitter overpriced pill to take.

Sometimes people can't tow more then a little 17ft hybrid, though.....
and honestly, it isn't overpriced for our area here in California....I know that may sounds crazy, but it's very true! Hybrids are extremely hard to find out here.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know, either....I watch craigslist all the time for hybrids here, and there usually aren't too many. We stopped at a RV lot in Gilroy last weekend and out of the 100's of RV's they had one hybrid.....

If the Kiwi is in good shape pay the $6000. Check the floor for soft spots and the canvas for any tears.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
julesmarly wrote:
The owner told me that he had 4 people willing to pay 6,000. Of course I have no way of knowing if this is true. Why are there fewer hybrids here?

i've been trying to figure that out for over 7 years now.
you'd think California would be the perfect place for hybrids, with our ability to camp year-round.
part of it is Californians' infatuation with big pricey rigs. huge luxury motorhomes or huge toyhaulers or luxury 5th wheels.
and Calif. dealers are the ones pushing them. they only carry higher end rigs. just look at the typical California RV show. lots of big expensive RV's with only a handful of less costly ones.

plus, the only factories making hybrids, are in the Midwest and it's costs dealers out here the same to ship them out West, as it does to have the expensive ones shipped, that they will make more money on.
so Calif. dealers choose not to carry them which makes them more rare and therefore cost more, including used ones.

but these are only partial explanations and it could be that Californians just don't get hybrids.:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
The owner told me that he had 4 people willing to pay 6,000. Of course I have no way of knowing if this is true. Why are there fewer hybrids here?

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on the Central Coast in California, and a year ago we bought a 2001 Starcraft Hybrid for $7500. It was in EXCELLENT condition, had a lot of extras (solar, dual batteries, etc). Anyways, I would think that around here for the Kiwi, if it was in really excellent condition, I would offer $5000.

Things cost more here because we don't have access to any hybrids. ๐Ÿ™‚

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that's WAY too much. Go to NADA, don't include the extras, check the condition and that's your average price. Triple check for water leaks. Good luck, hope it works out.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Julie, what many don't realize is that you are in California and hybrids fetch much higher prices than other parts of the country.
this was a big reason we gave up buying a used one out here and bought a new one from a Midwest dealer.
saved us over $4000, even after trip costs.

heck, even new hybrids fetch MSRP prices out here because dealers know they have customers over a barrel, since most won't make the type of trip we did, to save money.

so, even though it's an old hybrid, good used hybrids are rare out here, therefore they can charge whatever they want and will probably find someone willing to pay that, since a new one would cost over $20k.

julesmarly
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I appreciate it. You guys are the best!
Julie

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Deals 2001 Kiwi listings
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Too much: About a year ago we bought a 2009 21' Amerilite. It had only been used 6 times, with brand new tires and battery. Like new condition for $6800
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo