cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater bypass

tempsho
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a brand new Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR travel trailer and I am trying to winterize it already (I know, too soon)
However, I don't think it came installed with a bypass line/valve. There is a valve at the bottom of the tank to isolate it, but shouldn't there be a bypass line between the cold and hot lines?

With that valve closed, and pulling directly form the antifreeze bottle, I am able to get pink to all my cold taps, but not to my hot taps. (nothing comes out, the pump doesn't even turn on)

If I open that valve, then it fills the hot water tank as well, which is wasting about 6 gallons of antifreeze each time and then I can get antifreeze to the hot taps.

Am I missing something or did Keystone really not install a water heater bypass on my tank?

BTW, I love my 31BHPR!!!!

12 REPLIES 12

lc-12
Explorer
Explorer
Not unusual to see a new RV that does NOT have a water heater bypass.
When I bought mine I made sure that it came with the bypass already installed.
Yea, I don't understand why the bypass isn't a factory install on ANY RV, for what little they cost!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to water heater bypass, FYI.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/10/14/pex-water-heater-bypass

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
tempsho wrote:
I should have mentioned that I had to install those hose clamps because that crimped fitting started leaking a week after buying it. That's all I had on me, and it did fix the leak. Still a little upset that I have to install a bypass line and valve myself, but it is what it is.

I understand you added the hose clamps to stop a leaking connection. But please remember- that should be considered a TEMPORARY fix. If the PEX crimp isn't sealing, the connector could be cracked, smashed inside the pipe, a piece of debris in the connection, or who knows what else.

A water leak can be devastating to your RV, not something you want to take a chance with. 😉

lostmarbles
Explorer
Explorer
They say OOooopppsie on that one.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was your TT supposed to come with a water heater bypass? If it was, I'd take it back to the dealer to fix.

tempsho wrote:
I just bought a brand new Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR travel trailer and I am trying to winterize it already (I know, too soon)
However, I don't think it came installed with a bypass line/valve. There is a valve at the bottom of the tank to isolate it, but shouldn't there be a bypass line between the cold and hot lines?

With that valve closed, and pulling directly form the antifreeze bottle, I am able to get pink to all my cold taps, but not to my hot taps. (nothing comes out, the pump doesn't even turn on)

If I open that valve, then it fills the hot water tank as well, which is wasting about 6 gallons of antifreeze each time and then I can get antifreeze to the hot taps.

Am I missing something or did Keystone really not install a water heater bypass on my tank?

BTW, I love my 31BHPR!!!!

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

tempsho
Explorer
Explorer
I should have mentioned that I had to install those hose clamps because that crimped fitting started leaking a week after buying it. That's all I had on me, and it did fix the leak. Still a little upset that I have to install a bypass line and valve myself, but it is what it is.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
Something looks strange is that picture. It looks like a valve in the lower left hand corner but I don't see a check valve which would be required with a one valve system. Also, it looks like someone has installed two hose clamps at the upper left corner. If this is a new unit I would want to know why they did not re-clamp the pex fitting.

Good catch...I was thinking the same thing..the mickey mouse hose clamps don't look like factory original.
My bet - the dealer pirated (or borrowed) the by-pass valves and lines and used them on a different trailer..

Happens often. Dealer or customer is in a hurry to take delivery, dealer doesn't have a part on hand and can't wait for delivery....so they "borrow" the needed part from a rig sitting on the lot.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Something looks strange is that picture. It looks like a valve in the lower left hand corner but I don't see a check valve which would be required with a one valve system. Also, it looks like someone has installed two hose clamps at the upper left corner. If this is a new unit I would want to know why they did not re-clamp the pex fitting.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, it doesn't look like one is installed. My Outback came with one manual valve and a check valve on the hot water output of the heater. I took the guts out of he check valve and added a second manual valve. The check valves are problematic and if it fails, you will get no hot water.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
tempsho wrote:
I will install a couple 'T' fittings and a valve between the hot and the cold line to make my own bypass. For how little extra effort it would have taken to install a bypass line from the factory when they were putting it together I am really shocked its not there

I agree on all counts.

tempsho
Explorer
Explorer
I will install a couple 'T' fittings and a valve between the hot and the cold line to make my own bypass. For how little extra effort it would have taken to install a bypass line from the factory when they were putting it together I am really shocked its not there

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your picture there is no bypass installed. However, it looks like you have antifreeze in the upper line (output) of the water heater. If you have added enough antifreeze to fill the water heater, eventually you should be able to pump the antifreeze to the hot water side of the faucets. Not ideal but it is a way to protect your rig.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi