cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater replace?

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 95 Lance Squire and the WH has seen better days. Whats envolved in removing and replaceing it with a new one. I've never been able to flush as the drain nut is frozen solid and I can't get it to move.I've owned it for 10 years and it gets used quite a bit. The control(gas)valve has it's share of problems to and should be replaced. It still works fine but due to all these things I'm thinking a installing a new one. The camper is great for the 2 of us and is in xlnt shape and is all we need.What do you fine folks reccomened. The control valve has no lable to tell me what model it is. Just thinking as it does need some attention. I pretty handy at stuff like this so I'm sure I can handle it.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
23 REPLIES 23

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I Imagine it will see as the old one is 20 yrs. old, I don't heat up as fast either.
I usually turn it on in the eveing then shut it off. Don't use the shower as it's way small. If weather permits might use the outside one, but usually a 5gal. solar shower is used. We usually hit a campground after a week to empty tanks and fill water and get a shower.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you can add a reignitor kit......Suburban part #520569.
But dang.....it costs almost half of that new pilot WH LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure you can get a retro re-lighter kit for the water heaters.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Oh no- the emperor has new clothes...
Pretty sure though if you do end up with neighbors you can get a retro relighter kit for it. It just reads pilot flame, if it goes out tries to relight. Its a nice function. Mostly because, having it disabled for a few months because it was constantly trying to relight (dirty sensor), I dont realize its blown out until water is cold.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
tuna fisher wrote:
Reddog 1. Thanks for your suggestion but it's ordered and I understand where your coming from. I just kept it simple, I can live with it. Where we camp I won't have to get dressed to go outside, LOL.
You will scare the animals away. :B

I was amazed as to how fast the water heated with the new water heater.

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog 1. Thanks for your suggestion but it's ordered and I understand where your coming from. I just kept it simple, I can live with it. Where we camp I won't have to get dressed to go outside, LOL.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give a little more thought to the GAS W/DIRECT SPRK IGN. I admit to being lazy for some things, but this is one that has value even if you are not lazy. I prefer to only have the water heater on when I want hot water. Easy to simply flip the switch on. If I shower just before going to bed, flip switch to turn off, no need to get dressed to go outside.

Before my GAS W/DIRECT SPRK IGN, I have camped in strong winds that would blow the pilot out several times before the water got hot. I couple of times I even moved the TC it was so bad. One time it was wind and rain, and real cold. Wind blew pilot out several times, I was wet and cold to the bone before I got my warm shower. I guess I am not only lazy, but a sissy also. I will not go back to the non-DIRECT SPRK IGN. It cost a tad more, but I think well worth it.

EDIT: If I am reading it correctly, you can get the Direct spark for an additional $15.

80-1321 - # SW6D W/ DIRECT SPARK IGNITION. On Sale for Only $279.99

Only requires a 12 wire and ground wire and a switch. Very simple to install.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
tuna fisher, you sound like a smart guy so I'm probably telling you something you already know so consider it just a reminder. Put some teflon tape on your drain plug threads so it won't seize. My Suburban goes through anodes about every couple of years and I drain the tank a couple times a season via the main plug.
Thank's for the reminder Dave, I probably wouldn't have thought of that although you think I'm a smart guy. Good idea or I'd end up with one like I have now, can't budge it.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher, you sound like a smart guy so I'm probably telling you something you already know so consider it just a reminder. Put some teflon tape on your drain plug threads so it won't seize. My Suburban goes through anodes about every couple of years and I drain the tank a couple times a season via the main plug.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Take it your current WH is a Suburban.......????

Atwood WH's have slightly different cut out measurements/requirements.

Either one would work.....just might have to do some modifications if not same brand/size
Yes it is a Suburban SW6P the same as the new one, should just slide in. Doesn't look that diffcult to do.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take it your current WH is a Suburban.......????

Atwood WH's have slightly different cut out measurements/requirements.

Either one would work.....just might have to do some modifications if not same brand/size
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
No, I like things simple, less to go bad. I mean I'm camping, if I am to lazy to go outside why do I camp? Another good thing with the price, only $9 shipping. I'll get to it after a trip to the coast in early Oct for 5 days. It still works so no problem.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:
Well if there is a good time for this to happen, I guess this is it.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heaters/801319.htm
On sale $264.08 can't beat that.

Yes, if you dont mind going out to light the pilot it is a good way to go. It's far less expensive and easier for a do it your selfer to fix. No electronic boards or ignitors to go bad. The normal maintenance is blowing out the spider webs and cleaning off the thermocouple.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Well if there is a good time for this to happen, I guess this is it.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heaters/801319.htm
On sale $264.08 can't beat that.