cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weighing Small Trailer at Scales

QFamCA
Explorer
Explorer
OK I've done searches but most I find talk about dual axle and motorhomes.

I'm trying yo confirm if I meet my max cargo carry capicty and under my axle weight. Confusing enough as Yellow Sticker says

UVW 2986
Cargo max 794

White Sticker says

GVWR 3800 lbs
GAWR 3500 lbs

Cargo Carry Capacity 290kg
calculated with Fresh Water Tank full
Cold 79kg
Hot 23kg
And waste water empty

Any whoo if I take it to the scales do I weight only the trailer on the scale? Meaning pull past scale with truck and only have the single trailer Axel on?

Do I do it this way as some tounge weight is carried by truck and not on axle this the difference between the 3800 GVWR and 3500 GAWR?

Any help would be appreciated. I looked up only and think I have it down but want to be sure. Basically how do I weight and what is my max weight.
2015 Coleman Expedition LT CTS15BH
2017 Chevy Colorado LT V6 3.6L
6 REPLIES 6

QFamCA
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of useful information provided with different options thanks to all. Sorry my original post may have been confusing I knew what I wanted to ask but didn't articulate it well. I basically want to be sure I don't exceed my my trailers GVWR nor its GAWR (single axel trailer).

So if I can get a scale with three weight areas I'll conduct that way as it will get me all the info. If I only can find one that does only one measurement I'll just pull foward so truck is not on the scale to get my axel weight and can do a separate tongue weight. My assumption is my tongue weight rated dry I think is 285 so my assumption now I'm probably pushing 400 with battery and some light items up front. However we will see soon.

Truck is a non issue as weight and tongue weight are well under my capacity at the moment and not had any tow, sway or control issues. Tongue weight doesn't even move truck down so maybe I'm my estimate of 400 is on the high side.

Thanks for everyone's quick replys.
2015 Coleman Expedition LT CTS15BH
2017 Chevy Colorado LT V6 3.6L

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
One can weigh the trailer axle on the scale while the trailer is hooked up, with the truck wheels off the scale.

Then go home and measure the hitch weight with a bathroom scale. Of course, the scale only goes up to 300 lbs or maybe 330. If hitch weight is suspected to be over 300 lbs, you will want to have the hitch resting in the very center of a horizontal board which in turn rests upon two stable vertical objects; one of these vertical pieces will be on the scale and the other piece will rest on the ground; take the resulting scale reading and multiply X2 to arrive at your hitch weight. (Or buy a Sherline hitch scale... I have one coming right now, only $120. My trailer is so light, I can use the Sherline to measure the weight on each wheel.)
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT unhook the trailer on the scale unless you have the scale operators permission. To do so may make someone that comes up behind you very upset...... & the consequences not good. Also could ruin it for the next RVer and be denied use. Be respectful of others....... 🙂

cw2006
Explorer
Explorer
QFamCA wrote:

Any whoo if I take it to the scales do I weight only the trailer on the scale? Meaning pull past scale with truck and only have the single trailer Axel on?

In my opinion, you don't care about just the trailer - you care about the whole picture, and you don't need to do any unhitching and separate measurements unless you're really curious.

Take your loaded truck and trailer to the scales. You'll get (3) weights (steer axle, drive axle, and cargo (TT) axle).

Cargo axle needs to come in under 3500.
Steer and drive axles need to come in under whatever the sticker on your driver side door panel says their respective GAWR ratings are.

The GVWR 3800 and GAWR 3500 are assuming up to 300lb can be loaded on the tongue weight. If you're close to the limit and just trying to figure out if you're overweight that 300lb, go ahead and use a bathroom scale in your dooryard instead of driving to the scales.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
QFamCA wrote:
OK I've done searches but most I find talk about dual axle and motorhomes.

I'm trying yo confirm if I meet my max cargo carry capicty and under my axle weight. Confusing enough as Yellow Sticker says

UVW 2986
Cargo max 794

White Sticker says

GVWR 3800 lbs
GAWR 3500 lbs

Cargo Carry Capacity 290kg
calculated with Fresh Water Tank full
Cold 79kg
Hot 23kg
And waste water empty

Do I do it this way as some tounge weight is carried by truck and not on axle this the difference between the 3800 GVWR and 3500 GAWR?

Any help would be appreciated. I looked up only and think I have it down but want to be sure. Basically how do I weight and what is my max weight.

I read your post to mean you only want to weigh your trailer. If that is so ALL you have to do is get an empty weight first then after loading get a heavy weight.

Put your trailer on ANY kind of scale it does not need to be one that is split in sections. Drop the Trlr move your truck off the scale. Redo for the heavy weight.

And then obviously the difference between the light weight and the heavy will be the weight of your load.

Your trailer axles are so close together that unless you have loaded your trailer exceptionally badly the weight on each axle will be very close (within a few pounds.

I really dont think you need to worry so much about this. I know my trailers empty weight and then weigh everything we put in it as I take it out the door. Typically about 400 lbs (which is no where near it's capacity)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Pull on the three part scale with your truck on one part of the scale and your trailer on the other. Pull off and detach the trailer. Pull back on the scale and weigh your truck. The difference between total first pass and total second pass will be the weight of the trailer. You can also detach the trailer on the scale pad if it's OK with the operator.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton