cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight certificate needed in CA?

dedmiston
I bought a new (to me) 2014 RAM 3500 4x4 dually in Texas and drove it home to California. The TX dealer has a service they use for the DMV paperwork. They called me yesterday and told me I need a VIN inspection, a smog cert, and a weight certificate since it's such a heavy truck. They say that the weight cert is needed because the tag fees are calculated based on weight.

Does that sound right?

Should I drive around and run the fuel tank dry?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
20 REPLIES 20

RelaxDave
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2016 GMC 3500 dually. The truck weighs about 7000 lbs and my loaded AF 990 camper about 4800 lbs. The GVWR is 13025 lbs.

I specified on the "Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight..." (form 4800) that I will operate under 10001 lbs (no fee). The dealer asked me to fill out this form.

I think this means that I can only legally haul about 3000 pounds of bricks but from my research below I can still haul my camper legally.

Here is a link to the relevant information on the DMV site. The red highlighting is mine.

www.dmv.ca.gov

-----
Vehicles NOT Affected

Light-weight trucks and vans, if the declared GVW or CGW is 10,000 lbs. or less.
Pickups with an unladen weight of 8,000 lbs. (even if the operating weight is over 10,000 lbs.)
Taxis/rental limousines/charter-party carriers operating limousines if the declared GVW is 10,000 lbs. or less.
Park trailers/trailer coaches.

Weight fees for the above vehicles (except trailers) are based on the unladen weight.

-----

Weight fees for commercial vehicles (trucks/pickups) operating at a GVW of 10,000 lbs. or less are based on the unladen weight and number of axles. When a camper (or shell) is temporarily attached to a motor vehicle designed to transport property (or the camper/area under it does not contain facilities designed for human habitation), the camper is a load and fees are based on the unladen weight of the vehicle without the camper.

For registration fee information, see the Registration Related Fees (FFVR 34) Fast Facts brochure, available at,www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr34/.

-----

Here's some information about the specific vehicle code:

www.leginfo.ca.gov

-----

9400. Except as provided in Section 9400.1, and in addition to any
other registration fee, there shall be paid the fees set forth in
this section for the registration of any commercial motor vehicle
that operates with unladen weight. Weight fees for pickup trucks are
calculated under this section. Whenever a camper is temporarily
attached to a motor vehicle designed to transport property, the motor
vehicle shall be subject to the fees imposed by this section. The
camper shall be deemed to be a load, and fees imposed by this section
upon the motor vehicle shall be based upon the unladen weight of the
motor vehicle, exclusive of the camper.

-----
2016 GMC 3500HD 6.0L DRW 4x4 DC
2016 Arctic Fox 990

Bedlam
Weight is part of the equation and fuel usage addresses the other part. They have been suggesting using odometer or GPS tracker readings to dole out usage fees, but no one wants that much government tracking on personal use vehicles in my area. GPS was suggested because not all your miles may be driven in the state that wants to tax your usage.

Raiding these accounts to pay for other programs is what really riles me. The funds are never restored and we pay for items we would otherwise reject with dedicated funding. The same has happened in my state with off-road funds - There was money to improve off-road vehicle access paid by off-road user registrations which was siphoned off for unrelated use and never restored.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I object to paying tabs based on vehicle value, but I support paying tabs based on actual vehicle weight to support the infrastructure these vehicles are wearing out. Fuel tax is something I pay begrudgingly because when a surplus appears, it is skimmed off for other political foolishness instead the designated infrastructure improvements and maintenance...

What if its a dedicated TV and you only drive it say 3K mi a year? Do you feel you should be paying the same as someone driving 12-15K a year? Weight is only one part of the equation when it comes to wearing out of our infrastructure. Mileage should also be factored in IMO, not just weight.

I don't mind paying the money IF we had decent roads in this state, BUT we DON'T. Roads suck... That is my biggest gripe about paying all this money as it gets funneled to other BS social programs, not our roads.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
skyhammer wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
skyhammer wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
And you will have to SMOG every 2 years

We don't have to have a smog check in my part of Northern CA.

That's surprising. I have to smog mine every other year. All they do is peek under the hood and verify that the stock engine hasn't been modified. We still have to pay full price for the check though. I wish I were on the other end of that money.

34 of our 58 counties require the 2 year inspection. Another 6 counties require inspection depending upon your zip code.
That leaves 18 counties with no 2 year inspection requirement.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

blt2ski
dodge guy wrote:
Don't you register the truck based on its GVWR and not its actual weight?! If you just registered it by its curb weight and then towed a trailer you would be over your registered weight!

We do not register here in wa st based on tare, but overall wt. As noted tho, since the formula is tare x 1.5 to the next higher ton. getting the tare as low as possible may save you from buying the next higher ton. Good to do if you do not use or will load to that ton. Granted not a lot of money, around $10-15 per ton.....but for most of us, why pay the tax if you are not needing too.

On the other hand, if you ARE going to use that ton or then some, better to pay up front and not have to worry about the fine if and when pulled over. Or in an accident and the notes say "overweight" from a potential civil suit down the road if the accident was your fault.

From a legal standpoint, being overweight at a scale is not a big deal. You will not go to jail etc, the fine is NOT on your driving record, nor is it supposed to be. Been there did that done that. Got a 10 day increase tonneage on license by the amount I was short, sent on my way down the road!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't you register the truck based on its GVWR and not its actual weight?! If you just registered it by its curb weight and then towed a trailer you would be over your registered weight!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Declaration of Gross Weight......here's your sign :B
Your DRW is going to have UVW of 8000# PLUS and GVWR of 14,000#

LINK to Form
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
skyhammer wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:

That's surprising. I have to smog mine every other year. All they do is peek under the hood and verify that the stock engine hasn't been modified. We still have to pay full price for the check though. I wish I were on the other end of that money.

34 of our 58 counties require the 2 year inspection. Another 6 counties require inspection depending upon your zip code.
That leaves 18 counties with no 2 year inspection requirement.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldnt have to do anything for texas, Just whatever Ca requires you to do, Here in Arkansas we have no Inspection and for sure no Smog checks
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

dedmiston
skyhammer wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

And just wait for the "snap" test :W
Yes OP it's all true, we brought the Ram back home to Cali back in 2006 and had to jump through all the hoops with a brand new vehicle.
Just a little side note, back then Cummins wasn't 50 state certified. You can check your valve cover sticker on the drivers side for Cali certification. If it's not Cali certified your going to be out of luck getting it registered I believe.
I'm not sure what was involved to satisfy CARB, it might have been something as simple as a CAT. Mine came stock with a CAT but it fell off like many other items after we moved to another state :B
Good Luck
Just be glad you won't be over the 8K lb Cali rule!
Just guessing here, but you should come in at ~7800 with full leather

Oh I now see you upgraded trucks. The above was for your 2004.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Bedlam
I object to paying tabs based on vehicle value, but I support paying tabs based on actual vehicle weight to support the infrastructure these vehicles are wearing out. Fuel tax is something I pay begrudgingly because when a surplus appears, it is skimmed off for other political foolishness instead the designated infrastructure improvements and maintenance...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Several states are starting to do this. WY is starting with TTs. Older TTs go down in value thus much lower registration fees but still have the same heavy weight and do the same amount of road damage. On cars and trucks they have a list of prices. On RVs nothing much is published. They only see the actual purchase not the over inflated price. They want the extra $$$$. Doubt we'll get better roads.