cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Distributing Hitches

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded from a 24 foot travel trailer to a 33 foot travel trailer this summer. We are towing with a Ford F150 with Eco Boost engine. The truck is rated to tow up to 9600 and our TT is 6500 so we are good on weight. We moved our weight distributing hitch from the 24' to the 33', it is just a basic hitch with chains to distribute weight and a swaybar controller on the right side.

I am not a super experienced driver and so definitely take it easy, we started with a few short local trips this summer and the truck tows it easily but I find in windy weather or at highway speeds I feel more movement than I'm comfortable with.

I am considering upgrading to an Equil-i-zer Hitch and wondering what experience everyone has and what types of sway control you are using. They are an expense and I want to make the right choice as there are several different types.

This is the one that was recommended by a friend and what we are considering:
Equil-i-zer Hitch @ Hitchsourcehttp://www.hitchsource.com/equalizer-hitch-and-shank-12000lbs-p-27361.html
78 REPLIES 78

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
To light of tire the back of the truck will feel like driving on jello, sidewall flex.

Definitely don't have that issue.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have soft shocks the trailer will make the truck unstable a heavier duty shock will have better control.
Tires if they are a 6ply tire there is very little sidewall strenght so they will want to roll side to side and create sway.put on a Lt or a 10 ply you will have better control

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
TriciaR1970 wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
I would invest in a stronger ply tire on the truck and try that.upgrade the shocks for more control then get a dif hitch

Truck had HD towing package standard from factory. Not sure how tires and shocks will prevent sway? Curious can you elaborate?
To light of tire the back of the truck will feel like driving on jello, sidewall flex.

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
I would invest in a stronger ply tire on the truck and try that.upgrade the shocks for more control then get a dif hitch

Truck had HD towing package standard from factory. Not sure how tires and shocks will prevent sway? Curious can you elaborate?

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:
A Reese Dual Cam has built in sway control and does very well for us. No in/out suction by passing trailer trucks.
This is what I have as well.

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
If I did not have a hitch and had the money, I would definitely have a Hensley. They are uncontested, the best hitch on the market, but are not cheap.

I know some will disagree, but when hitches are mentioned, Hensley is always mentioned as the best.

Wow just watched the video and now I really want the Hensley Arrow but at $2500+ price point I may not be able to swing that. I love that the hitch stays intact and mounted to the trailer too so no super heavy pieces for me to lift and heft around. Will have to see if I can come up with the cash as it really does seem like a great system.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
If I did not have a hitch and had the money, I would definitely have a Hensley. They are uncontested, the best hitch on the market, but are not cheap.

I know some will disagree, but when hitches are mentioned, Hensley is always mentioned as the best.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 23' ultra lightweight (about 4,400 lbs. on the scale and 9+ feet tall) to a 29' trailer (7,300 on the scale and about 2+ feet taller). My regular weight dist hitch couldn't get it level. I purchased a ProPride 3P (similar concept to Hensley, but a few hundred less) hitch and couldn't be happier. Towing is a LOT less worrisome now.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

Draggo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been towing a 33' KZ for 6 years now using a Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado with the Reese Dual Cam hitch and I have had no issues with sway and very little with getting pushed around. It happens occasionally when it's extremely windy but never to the point where I'm concerned about maintaining control. Would I like to be pulling it with a 1 ton? Sure. Am I still going to feel the wind even in a one ton? Sure. Your towing a big sail behind you so your going to feel it either way.
Mike & Company
2021 GMC Sierra SLE (6.6L V-8, 3.73 rear gear)
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 279RLDS
Reese W/D & HP DC

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
Thomas/NH wrote:
I have a similar set up: 2013 F150, Ecoboost, HD, Max tow package towing a 35' Cougar HC321RES. It's equipped with the Reese Duel Cam with 1400# bars and tows like a dream with very little sway. I've towed it over 12,000 miles through just about every condition imaginable, 10" of snow, an ice storm, tornado storm, cross winds at 30+ MPH and torrential downpours.

As much as I'd like to go for the Hensly Arrow, I can't justify leaving the Reese straight line Duel Cam that does a great job.

Is the Reese Dual Cam a full hitch system? Or an add on piece? I'm trying to look it up and confused.

Okay just looked at the Hensley hitch now - if you hadn't already invested in the Reese hitch and were a 1st time buyer would you pick the Hensley?

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar set up: 2013 F150, Ecoboost, HD, Max tow package towing a 35' Cougar HC321RES. It's equipped with the Reese Duel Cam with 1400# bars and tows like a dream with very little sway. I've towed it over 12,000 miles through just about every condition imaginable, 10" of snow, an ice storm, tornado storm, cross winds at 30+ MPH and torrential downpours.

As much as I'd like to go for the Hensly Arrow, I can't justify leaving the Reese straight line Duel Cam that does a great job.

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

To the original poster. (I'll probable get ripped to shreds for theis but) I'm not a fan of a single friction bar sway control for a trailer that long (33 feet). My choice would be a Reece Dual Cam HP / Strait-Line.

I just joined these forums but have been a Good Sam member for 3 years now. Just curious is there a lot of mean people in here who can't agree without ripping each other to shreds? 🙂 I have always found RV people to be some of the best people and find that hard to believe that there is a lot of shredding.

Anyway I would agree that single friction bar sway control is NOT enough for this trailer. Which is why I'm here asking about which one to invest my money in. Looking at spending anywhere from $600-1000 so just researching which one may work best.

Anyone have any opinions on speed of hitching up with one versus the other? My husband is a disabled veteran with multiple sclerosis and is not really able to help much so I am doing the hitching 100% on my own (off topic but back-up camera in tailgate is best invention ever for getting under the ball on the first try everytime) and so ease of hitching up is also a concern for me and weight of the unit to pick up and put into the hitch receiver.

Thanks for all the helpful comments so far and keep them coming (and let's skip the shredding).

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I'll probably get ripped to shreds for saying this, but towing a 33 foot TT with an F150, no matter what kind of hitch you put on, you're always going to feel the wind resistance, especially when the wind blows strong from the side. And you'll probably always experience the in-out suction when the big rig semi-trucks pass you on the interstates.

You won't get "ripped" by me....because what you say is completely factual.

To the original poster. (I'll probable get ripped to shreds for theis but) I'm not a fan of a single friction bar sway control for a trailer that long (33 feet). My choice would be a Reece Dual Cam HP / Strait-Line.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
I went from a 26' TT to 33' sunset trail. TV is a 5.7 Tundra. With the 26' I just had a basic WD hitch with no sway control and it towed fine. When I got the new trailer I was nervous about the extra size and weight and went with the Reese DC. It handles great and seems better than the old trailer did. BTW not looking to start a DC vs Equil-i-zer debate. Both are great hitches with loyal fans. Just wanted to let the OP know that IMO he will be fine with a good hitch

Thanks - we have looked at both hitches and were only leaning toward the Equil-i-zer because we have a friend who has one and they recommended it. I am looking for other experienced recommendations.

Thanks for your input!