cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Distributing Hitches

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded from a 24 foot travel trailer to a 33 foot travel trailer this summer. We are towing with a Ford F150 with Eco Boost engine. The truck is rated to tow up to 9600 and our TT is 6500 so we are good on weight. We moved our weight distributing hitch from the 24' to the 33', it is just a basic hitch with chains to distribute weight and a swaybar controller on the right side.

I am not a super experienced driver and so definitely take it easy, we started with a few short local trips this summer and the truck tows it easily but I find in windy weather or at highway speeds I feel more movement than I'm comfortable with.

I am considering upgrading to an Equil-i-zer Hitch and wondering what experience everyone has and what types of sway control you are using. They are an expense and I want to make the right choice as there are several different types.

This is the one that was recommended by a friend and what we are considering:
Equil-i-zer Hitch @ Hitchsourcehttp://www.hitchsource.com/equalizer-hitch-and-shank-12000lbs-p-27361.html
78 REPLIES 78

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
TriciaR1970 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
I am sure some Ford expert will share their expertise, but I don't think it is practical to bump a regular F-150 up to HD specs. Seems like it would require a change of frame and axles as well as the rest of the suspension. The HD is really a rebadged light duty F-250 as I recall.

I am supposed to have the HD towing package. I may have to go back to the dealer to figure this out. I thought 8200 was my GVWR but the door says 7200. So which is right because if I paid for the HD package and my truck doesn't have it I think I will be demanding a refund for that cost.

The door sticker needs to be right by the manufacture. Out of curiosity do you still have the window sticker? If the window sticker with the VIN on it called out the upgraded option and you do not have it, that mix up by Ford could be a lot easier to get fixed then the salesmen word what he sold you. Or that the window sticker has some other VIN on it means a mix up happened.

Let us know how this turns out. This may well test how stand up your dealer is.

This increases my experience of, when you are going to buy a TV for a TT, the buyer needs to know what they need and how to spot it as the sales representative unless they are an experienced RV'er, may not have a clue. Many have no idea the actual spec's behind what they are selling.

Just because you can pull it does not mean you can hold it up or control it. I had this happen to me at my Chevy dealer, he sold me a Tahoe as then that was what I needed. When I wanted to upgrade it to a 2500 Suburban, since he did not have one on his lot he tried to talk me out of it as the Tahoe could pull it. Next TV, the local Ford dealer did not have a F350 with SRW's and he tried to talk me into a F250, ah nope.

Best of luck to you and hope you get some kind of working resolution.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
TriciaR1970 wrote:

I am supposed to have the HD towing package. I may have to go back to the dealer to figure this out. I thought 8200 was my GVWR but the door says 7200. So which is right because if I paid for the HD package and my truck doesn't have it I think I will be demanding a refund for that cost.

At 7200# GVWR you have neither the Max Tow package (~7500-7700# GVWR) nor the Heavy Duty Payload Package (8200# GVWR).

Heard elsewhere about a salesperson promising high payload and then delivering 7200# GVWR. And, although admitting the mistake, they refused to make it right as the truck had already been accepted.

Good luck.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Tricia, are you confused yet? Now we are talking about counting lug nuts. You would almost think the manufacturers want to mess with the consumer with words like, "Max", "Super", "Heavy Duty", and all the other marketing BS. You are right to focus on GVWR, although there are other factors, for sure.

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed boats and trailers for 45 years with all kinds of rigs and hitches. Currently use an Equal-i-zer and find it to be a very good product. We tow an Arctic Fox 30U with a Chevy 2500HD diesel and feel very comfortable.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
TriciaR1970 wrote:
I am supposed to have the HD towing package. I may have to go back to the dealer to figure this out.---
Do not confuse the "Max. Trailer Tow Package" wth the "Heavy-Duty Payload Package".

If your truck has the Heavy-Duty Payload Package, it should have 7-lug wheels instead of 6-lug wheels.

Ron

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I would want more than a refund if they sold me a vehicle with a GVWR of 8,200# and it turned out to be 7,200#. I would want what I paid for. This may come as a surprise, but there are salesmen (and folks on here) who misrepresent the truth. The most common being, "A half ton pickup can pull that with no problem".

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
I am sure some Ford expert will share their expertise, but I don't think it is practical to bump a regular F-150 up to HD specs. Seems like it would require a change of frame and axles as well as the rest of the suspension. The HD is really a rebadged light duty F-250 as I recall.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
TriciaR1970 wrote:
Okay so I have actual numbers from my door which does NOT match the window sticker and I find that super annoying GRRRRR.

GVWR - 7200
Max Cargo - 1580
GCWR - 15400
TriciaR1970 wrote:
---Is there anything that can be done to increase payload? Someone mentioned stronger springs, better tires. I'm sure those are good ideas but they won't really increase payload will they? 😞
Ford has a "HD Pkg." option for the F-150 which increases the GVWR to 8200#.

Did the window sticker say the GVWR was 8200#?
If so, you might want to point that out to Ford.
If not, you might want to see what is involved in upgrading your F-150 to the HD Pkg.

Ron

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
wrvond wrote:

No, they may increase the safety of towing the weight you have, but they are not going to increase your payload capacity. Even if they could, there's no way you could possibly know how much the capacity was increased. It'd be a shot in the dark, at best.
To be completely fair, there are folks with lots of towing miles that maintain that the manufacturers tow ratings are more guidelines, rather than absolute values. I'm not one of them, but, at the same time I can't dismiss their experience out of hand.
Your original question concerned sway elimination. Your experience apparently indicated that the truck easily towed the weight of the new camper. So, assuming that your choice is to continue to use the F150 to tow, the Hensley is a good choice for weight distribution and sway control. BTW, no system is going to eliminate sway completely.

Yes my truck towed the weight without any hesitation even going up and down quite steep hills I did not lag or lose speed. I know I am okay on weight of the camper and weight for the combined truck and camper but I am concerned about the cargo weight on the truck now. My max tow is 9600 or 9700 depending on which page you look at (website or truck sticker) and my tow weight is approx 7500 loaded. My GCVW is 15400 and I believe I am fine there too but the troubling number is the 1580 Cargo weight with 2 adults, 2 large dogs and 400lbs of wheelchair and lift. Still okay until you add in tongue weight.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
TriciaR1970 wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Be aware that the Hensley (or any other hitch) is going to further reduce your payload capacity. If you can borrow or rent a F-250 other 2500 series pickup, you will be amazed at the improvement in stability.

I am aware of that and it is included in the calculations. Is there anything that can be done to increase payload? Someone mentioned stronger springs, better tires. I'm sure those are good ideas but they won't really increase payload will they? 😞

No, they may increase the safety of towing the weight you have, but they are not going to increase your payload capacity. Even if they could, there's no way you could possibly know how much the capacity was increased. It'd be a shot in the dark, at best.
To be completely fair, there are folks with lots of towing miles that maintain that the manufacturers tow ratings are more guidelines, rather than absolute values. I'm not one of them, but, at the same time I can't dismiss their experience out of hand.
Your original question concerned sway elimination. Your experience apparently indicated that the truck easily towed the weight of the new camper. So, assuming that your choice is to continue to use the F150 to tow, the Hensley is a good choice for weight distribution and sway control. BTW, no system is going to eliminate sway completely.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Be aware that the Hensley (or any other hitch) is going to further reduce your payload capacity. If you can borrow or rent a F-250 other 2500 series pickup, you will be amazed at the improvement in stability.

I am aware of that and it is included in the calculations. Is there anything that can be done to increase payload? Someone mentioned stronger springs, better tires. I'm sure those are good ideas but they won't really increase payload will they? 😞

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer

TriciaR1970
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so I have actual numbers from my door which does NOT match the window sticker and I find that super annoying GRRRRR.

GVWR - 7200
Max Cargo - 1580
GCWR - 15400

So I am okay on GCWR but am going to be over on Max Cargo unless my tongue weight is less than 500 which I am sure it is NOT.

So what do I do now? I have towed this camper 4 times less than 40 miles each way without incident and my issue had to do with sway at higher speeds.

I know some of you will say get a smaller camper or a bigger truck. The bigger truck could be an option as my trade in value is very high on this one BUT I am wondering about those who are towing something close to my configuration (the guy with the Tundra comes to mind)?

I know I can reduce tongue weight by putting more weight in the back of the camper but assume that having the weight uneven in the camper is not safe either.

I AM going to invest in the Henley remanufactured hitch I'm sure of that because whether I get a new truck or stick with this one I WANT sway elimination not just sway control. I also want the ease of not having to heft a 50+lb hitch into place every time I use the camper.

As of right now the camper is not moving until the first weekend in May and that is a short trip of 35 miles one way. I have time to figure out my plan of action. But I am going to SC for approx 3 weeks in the end of May/June so I really do need to make some decisions.

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
I have almost the same truck as OP but SuperCrew. Your GCWR depending on your wheelbase should be well above the 15,400 and probably is 17,100. Like OP, I'm thinking about the Hensley when we do get a larger TT.
2014 Berkshire 360QL