cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution bar - using a pipe ... ?

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have lost the pipe to lift up the weight distribution bar ... what do you use ?
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
107 REPLIES 107

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
An appropriate question would be - what do the various manufacturers say to do?

The following are manufacturers instructions for some of the WDHs out there, and in similar wording, they all say to use the lift bar/handle and to release (not remove) tension on the spring bars using the tongue jack.

WHAT:h the two direct quotes say to release which is defined as "REMOVING" :S so again you can read things however you want, but it's clear to me what it says. I view the lifting bars for hitches like the Reese only to help in placing the chain bracket in place since it doesn't have a handle built into the bracket. In some unusual cases it might be needed to actually provide some real lift or release, but that would or should IMO be the exception and not the rule. The Equal-i-zer because of it's design already doesn't need anything additional under normal use.

I think one needs to re read how this discussion started and that was the tongue jack was not to be used to engage the WDH bars which I have I think disproven and now those naysayers are just trying to come up with cases where these bars are actually needed to engage or disengage the system and somehow implying that is normal which I say is not.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of the old chain binders. They took out some teeth and dented a few skulls :B
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
For those that don`t use the tongue jack....I`de like to see you unload a heavily loaded snap up bracket with just the pipe.

Let me know when and where you find it!!!!

those of us who drive a he-mans ford or chevy can easily do it. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those that don`t use the tongue jack....I`de like to see you unload a heavily loaded snap up bracket with just the pipe.

Let me know when and where you find it!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
An appropriate question would be - what do the various manufacturers say to do?

The following are manufacturers instructions for some of the WDHs out there, and in similar wording, they all say to use the lift bar/handle and to release (not remove) tension on the spring bars using the tongue jack. The only one that differs somewhat is Equal-izer who say that *IF* there is still tension on the bars you can use the handle to engage them. A couple of them say to release tension, the jack should be raised about 3".

Eaz-lift
Ultra-Fab
Reese
Curt
Torklift
Draw-Tite
Equal-i-zer

As someone above said, there are likely some people who do not have their spring bars tight enough and are incorrectly set up. Or some are just using the jack to excessively and unnecessarily raise the tongue. Somewhere I read that one manufacturer said the force required to lift the handle is typically in the 50-100 lb range. If 50 lbs is too much for someone, there's no reason why you can't just use a longer pipe to reduce the required force.

It would be interesting for someone to find a link to a manufacturer's instruction that you are supposed to raise the tongue enough so that you don't need to use a handle.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
FYI For newbys, there are better hitches out there.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
CAUTION:
WARNING:
When lifting/lowering Snap
-
Up Bracket, Avoid putting any part of your body in the path of the lifting handle and under the cam arm and spring bars. Components of this system are loaded with substantial force and could shift position or drop suddenly causing serious injury or death.

Never Raise or Lower Snap-Up Brackets without raising the trailer tongue jack to remove the load from the spring bars and cam arms. Failure to do so could cause serious injury.

You must be misunderstanding me...Yes,you have to jack the front of the trailer and rear of the truck up to take the tension off to hook up the bars but not so far you can do it with your hands without the tool provided.

Where does it state you don't need the tool to connect the spring bars?

Where does it state if you jack it up far enough,the tool is not needed?

Please show me anything that states you do not need a cheater tool.

We must be talking about two different hitches..Gotta be.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
Well Larry, here's what I'll do.. I'll give you a video link on how to hook one up from Eaz Lift hitches the right way with a bar, you post a video from any reputable WD hitch company that shows hooking up without the bar, with hands only!

Eaz Lift WD hitch setup

Your turn.

BTW below is the highlighted Cautionary Warning on page 6 of the Reese Dual Cam HP WDH system instructions:

CAUTION:
WARNING:
When lifting/lowering Snap
-
Up Bracket, Avoid putting any part of your body in the path of the lifting handle and under the cam arm and spring bars. Components of this system are loaded with substantial force and could shift position or drop suddenly causing serious injury or death.

Never Raise or Lower Snap-Up Brackets without raising the trailer tongue jack to remove the load from the spring bars and cam arms. Failure to do so could cause serious injury.

Now if all the armchair engineers want to recommend ignoring these IMO sage SAFETY RELATED warnings and directions that is their decision, but to support others to do the same is IMO foolish and ill founded.

Finally, I don't need any video cheat sheets since I can read and understand English perfectly well.:W

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Link fixed for Larry.

I want to see an official video from a WD hitch company using hands only without a bar!
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:
It's just to easy to use the hitch as it was designed to use..They didn't put a thumb or hand notch on it for a reason,I assume, but they did put a place to use a bar/helper etc to cinch up the links.

It's just to easy to do it the way it was designed!

yep, and I confess I did exaggerate the 5 minutes of cranking. How about instead of a one second flip up with the bar, about 50 turns of the crank on the jack. and I don't need to spend a couple of hundred $$$ to buy an electric jack.
bumpy

I thought you had a MH? so why would you be concerned about tongue jacks anyway:h

Larry

I had motorhomes. I have a TT. :h
bumpy

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Well Larry, here's what I'll do.. I'll give you a video link on how to hook one up from Eaz Lift hitches the right way with a bar, you post a video from any reputable WD hitch company that shows hooking up without the bar, with hands only!

Eaz Lift WD hitch setup

Your turn.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek wrote:
It's just to easy to use the hitch as it was designed to use..They didn't put a thumb or hand notch on it for a reason,I assume, but they did put a place to use a bar/helper etc to cinch up the links.

EXCELLENT ADVICE and below is a direct quote from pg 15 of the Equal-i-zer instructions on how to install and tension the spring bars:

"The easiest way to move the spring arms into place and tension them is to use the trailer tongue jack. Ensure the tow vehicle and trailer are connected and the coupler is securely latched. Extend the tongue jack down and raise the tow vehicle and trailer as far as necessary (approximately 4โ€ โ€“ 8โ€) to be able to swivel the spring arms into place over the L-brackets. A stable block may be used under the foot of the jack to gain more height if needed."

It goes on to say with respect to the "helper bar" we are talking about ...

"The snap-up lever (item # 22) supplied with your hitch can be used to lift the spring arms onto the L-brackets if needed. This is especially useful when you have extended the trailer jack and are still not able to move the bars into place; or when the trailer and tow vehicle are parked unevenly where one bar will move into place, but the other is still too low."

I bet other WDH manufacturers have similiar directions if one would only read their manuals.

Larry

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the pipe to snap up the chains. I am not going to lift the trailer tong and the back end of my 1 ton dually so I don't have to. I have done it, but there have also been situations where I had to use the bar no mater what. Just easier on my back and faster then having to crank.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
A friend lost a finger using a cheater. Just not paying attention where his fingers were. Now he only has to keep track of nine.
I'll use my electric and if it breaks, I'll buy another one.
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:

yep, and I confess I did exaggerate the 5 minutes of cranking. How about instead of a one second flip up with the bar, about 50 turns of the crank on the jack. and I don't need to spend a couple of hundred $$$ to buy an electric jack.
bumpy

I thought you had a MH? so why would you be concerned about tongue jacks anyway:h

Larry