cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution bar - using a pipe ... ?

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have lost the pipe to lift up the weight distribution bar ... what do you use ?
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
107 REPLIES 107

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
i thought i was doing it "incorrectly" by using the tongue jack to lift the TV/TT to make linking the WD bars easier...glad to see I am not in the minority afterall.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Gene&Ginny wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
... Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.
That works for me. :C .... but I still have the pipe "just in case" ...

I was shown how to use the pipe to raise mine. takes about 1 second. don't know why I would mess around with tongue jack,etc. I was warned to stand off to the side in case the pipe comes shooting out. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

That`s exactly why that is a dangerous way to do it! I have the pipe, but I have never used it! I have always used the tongue jack to raise the truck and trailer. I can then flip the levers up by hand.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I have the standard spring bars with chain. It is much faster for me to lower the coupler onto the ball, but not add much weight at all. I latch the coupler, then use the pipe to snap up the chains. It is not hard, and requires a lot less cranking on my manual jack.

When unhooking, I crank up the coupler to where I estimate will be close to no load on the ball. Then I reverse the process. I am always careful to have a good hold on the pipe. This works well for me.

I would not attempt the system I have without a pipe.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoadXYZ wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
You can probably get a piece of black gas pipe at the local home improvement store.

Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.

Maybe if one were 30 or 40 years old, but not these senior who into their 70s.

That's why they make electric tongue jacks:W This also eliminates cranking up/down when simply connecting/disconnecting or stabilizing when staying hooked up for on nighters.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoadXYZ wrote:
We have lost the pipe to lift up the weight distribution bar ... what do you use ?

Most simply use the tongue jack so no additional equip is necessary. It's not only easier, but A LOT safer especially unhooking since you don't have things under tension.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP has the same WD as me - chains at the end of the bars that hook to the A frame. While lifting the back of the TV with the back does help, yes, you do need a pipe for this. The ones suggested will work fine.

Agree with Bumpyroad 100%
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
... Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.

I was shown how to use the pipe to raise mine. takes about 1 second. don't know why I would mess around with tongue jack,etc. I was warned to stand off to the side in case the pipe comes shooting out. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

bud121156
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the tongue jack.
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express Bunkhouse
2017 F-150

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I use the tongue jack
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Why do you need a pipe to install the weight distribution bars? I just put the tongue on the ball and clip it. Use the tongue jack to lift the tongue and back of truck, slip bars in place by hand and lower the tongue jack. No lifting involved.

X2

This is the only correct way to do it too!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

sbowman871
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Why do you need a pipe to install the weight distribution bars? I just put the tongue on the ball and clip it. Use the tongue jack to lift the tongue and back of truck, slip bars in place by hand and lower the tongue jack. No lifting involved.

Word
2010 Everlite 29FK
2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost Max Tow 3.73
Parkit 360

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
You can probably get a piece of black gas pipe at the local home improvement store.

Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.

Maybe if one were 30 or 40 years old, but not these senior who into their 70s.

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Get a two foot long 3/4" ID pipe from your favorite home improvement store.

Does Lowe's or Home Depot have this or would one go to a plumbing shop ... ?

Guess will have to go to Lowe's across the highway and see if they have something ... thanx fellows.