cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight distribution recommendation

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Give me a recommendation on a good WDH. I have the equalizer E2 now and like the way it controls sway but have constant issues with brackets that mount on the frame always sliding around and then bending when I tighten them. I also know the 1000lb bars I have are too light for my tongue weight. I would like something that doesn't use the "bolt on bracket" that clamps to the tongue like the equalizer. Blue Ox sway pro looked good but now I am seeing issues in another thread on this forum. Ideas?
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs
21 REPLIES 21

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
I have used the Reese Dual Cam when we had larger TTs and never had any issues. My hitch guy likes this one and also the Blue Ox. He does not like the Equalizer hitch. He said that in his experience, they do very well when new, but they wear out faster than the other two.

I would never buy one that depends on steel on steel friction, but that's just me.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Reese Dual Cam when we had larger TTs and never had any issues. My hitch guy likes this one and also the Blue Ox. He does not like the Equalizer hitch. He said that in his experience, they do very well when new, but they wear out faster than the other two.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
BTW, the E2 isn't made by Equal-i-zer, it's made by Fastway.

Fastway and Equal-i-zer are both companies of Progress Mfg.

The Equal-i-zer hitch is just that. It's really not named the E4 by any account on their website.

Um.. I did't realize that. Maybe the term "E4" comes from the idea of "4-point Sway Control" and "E" for Equal-i-zer?

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:

The Equal-i-zer hitch is just that. It's really not named the E4 by any account on their website.
They're both made by the same company, Progress Mfg. They are not separate companies. From the Equal-i-zer website:
The Original Equal-i-zer® Sway Control Hitch is a product of Progress Mfg. Inc.
From the sticker on and the manual for the E2:
The e2 hitch is a product of Progress Mfg. Inc.
E2 is an obvious reference to "Equal-i-zer 2 point", and it's common for people to call the branded Equal-i-zer 4 point sway control hitch the E4. That's not incorrect, it's just a colloquialism.

I suspect they only market the E2 separately because it's made in China to lower the cost, which allows them to state that Equal-i-zer hitches are made in the USA.

To the OP: why not just get the brackets tack welded to the frame, or even have some "bumps" welded top and bottom on either side of them to keep them from moving?

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
SQUAT in the rear isn't an issue, guys. It's how much the front comes up. Most modern truck manufacturers specify that the front of the TV should only come up half the distance between loaded and unloaded height.

The object of the WDH IS NOT to keep the rear from squatting. It is to put weight back on the front axle. If you are trying to get the rear back up to normal ride height, you are doing it wrong.

To the OP, have you spoken with equalizer about your brackets moving? What did they say? Can you get replacement spring bars?

Until you know your actual tongue weight, I'd hold off on getting a new wdh. Get your tongue weight figured out.

You can actually run 1000# bars with 1000# tongue. Or you can run 1400# bars. According to how much weight you are transferring, 1400# may make no difference. It's all about how tight you have your bars loaded.

The difference will come in how it rides. 1000# bars are going to ride "softer" than those 1400# bars. Meaning, hit a bump with 1000# bars and you could experience more oscillation than 1400# bars. The 1400# bars will be a much stiffer connection with the 1000# tongue.

With all that being said, I ran a dual cam setup prior to my hensley. If you are happy with your sway characteristics, I would determine WHY your brackets are moving around. Especially since it seems that no one else is having those issues. Could be as simple as an incorrect measurement.

YMMV
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I haven't had any problems with the operation of my Blue Ox. Works well and does what it claims. I would say it's probably the best bang for the buck.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like one of those commercials where the simplest task is a total disaster until along comes the super duper calamity proof widget that even the most inept soul can use with the greatest of ease.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Well the reason I thought the bars were too light is because how much my truck squats. It's very noticeable when hooked up regardless of how I try to set it up?

Your truck should NOT squat. If so with the bars at the strongest setting, then you're right, bars are to small or weak for your tongue weight.

Get a scale and weigh your tongue and then decide which bars to get.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Give me a recommendation on a good WDH. I have the equalizer E2 now and like the way it controls sway but have constant issues with brackets that mount on the frame always sliding around and then bending when I tighten them. I also know the 1000lb bars I have are too light for my tongue weight. I would like something that doesn't use the "bolt on bracket" that clamps to the tongue like the equalizer. Blue Ox sway pro looked good but now I am seeing issues in another thread on this forum. Ideas?

I had a Reese Strait-Line (Dual Cam HP-High Performance) system. It was very very noisy and was very difficult to set up and install initially. Dealer installed incorrectly and spring bar socket on the head broke off. And previously on my other truck, the spring bar rubbed the cam bracket where tight turns put a lot of stress on the bracket and the spring bar.

I'm done with all the headaches this system has even though it does have great sway control.

I tried the newly designed Blue Ox Sway Pro and boy am I impressed. It controls sway just as good if not better, is super quiet, easy to install initially, and very easy to hookup to the camper and truck when towing.

It's about the same price as the Reese Strait Line, but IMO, a much better hitch and sway control system. It was in the original design, not an after thought like the Reese Dual Cam HP sway control.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
If you're trying to raise it back up to unloaded height, that might be causing problems.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Well the reason I thought the bars were too light is because how much my truck squats. It's very noticeable when hooked up regardless of how I try to set it up?
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our 32.5' TT with a Reese HP trunion style hitch with no sway control. The 800 lb bars are for no more than to satisfy the weight rating of the receiver. Too much spring bar tension can cause some steering instability. Just my opinion but I'm thinking the 1000 lb bars are more than plenty with your Cummins powered 2500HD Ram. If the rear squats 3" and you bring it back up 1-1.5" with the bars, I'd be happy with that. If the Blue Ox brings happiness, it's probably because it's as close as you can get to no sway control on a properly loaded trailer with properly placed axles. Friction can prevent movement at the pivot point, but it can also try to prevent the combo straitening back out causing some strange sensations. Not suggesting or recommending anything. Just saying what works for us.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reese DC here and very happy with it.