cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution with Sway Control Suggestions

Chapzter
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to the RV world as an owner. I grew up adventuring with my parents in a Motorhome, but now it's time for me to get my foot in the door with a Travel Trailer and create memories with my kids.

I just picked up a 2002 Keystone Sprinter (299RLS) on an impossible to pass deal from a family member. Now that I have the trailer, I need to get my vehicle set up properly. Where I'm stuck is the weight distribution hitch with sway control. I've read reviews from the $350 to $700 ones. I am not as concerned about money as I am safety, so hopefully some RV Veterans can help me out here that have experience with bumper pull trailers. I think I have it narrowed to the Equal-I-Zer and the Reese Dual Cam, but I am open to any suggestions.
24 REPLIES 24

Chapzter
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
What vehicle are you towing with?

Good question. I have 2 trucks, but I think one of them is not the best idea to tow this trailer with.

Truck #1 - 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4 wheel drive. - Max Trailer weight 7,400lbs, GCWR 13,000lbs. Axle Ratio 3.42. Hitch ratings with distribution 1,500lbs tongue - 12,000lbs Max. I have the Tekonsha p3 and air bags on the Sierra.

Truck #2 - 2005 Ford F250Super Duty. Also has airbags and Tekonsha p3.

Is it a horrible idea to use the Sierra, even if it's only 30 miles with no hills? Some of the places I go are close to home just to get the kids out for some local camping and fishing.

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
redwing10 wrote:
ProPride was they way I went. No sway and no regrets about what I paid for it.

+1 on the ProPride...outstanding product, and completely eliminates sway. It does effectively add a good foot and a half to your trailer though, and aiming a 2" steel stinger into a slightly bigger than 2" opening can be a bit of a challenge. There's also the issue of the RV dealer not having a setup that's capable of moving your trailer when it's in their yard, and possibly requiring you to remove the system, which can be a pain.

IMO, it's well worth any inconvenience to gain the rock solid towing performance that the ProPride/Hensley hitch systems provide.

A visual of the added length...I believe the Hensley adds about the same length, but would have to confirm.

The added length does have the benefit of increasing the maneuverability of your rig, if you would have otherwise made contact between trailer and rig with a traditional hitch.

2014 Heartland Trail Runner 35' TT + ProPride 3P
2012 F350 SRW Power Stroke Diesel FX4 Long Bed
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer installed my Blue OX hitch and it works great with my TV and TT combination..
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

redwing10
Explorer
Explorer
ProPride was they way I went. No sway and no regrets about what I paid for it.
Tom and Dianne
2015 Arctic Fox 25Y
2015.5 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax
ProPride 3P 1400# WDH

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not as concerned about money as I am safety,

Hensley or ProPride. Hensley has refurbished hitches for a little more than the two you described that are friction based units. The little diffrence in money is well spent in better stability and sway elimination.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another nod for the BlueOx Swaypro. Install and setup is a breeze. Fewer external lube points, make it cleaner to use.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What vehicle are you towing with?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
As one who used an Equal-i-zer for 6 yrs I too would suggest you take a good look at the Blue Ox Sway Pro for the many advantages it offers over the Equal-i-zer, which though well regarded by the towing community is also a much older design that suffers quite a few drawbacks, most of which have been addressed with the much more recent Sway Pro design.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dutchie1979
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox sway pro, great hitch, easy setup. I love mine.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go wrong with either,in my opinion. Those are the 2 best before you hit the Hensley and Propride. The DC is a bit more finicky and you may need to adjust the cams when you make changes, but you can change out the bars to heavier/lighter if you change trailers.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized