Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well made off road trailer

nonrev321
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Investigating trailers that can take going down unpaved roads. I'm not talking real rough but more on the line of well maintained two track roads. Something with Good ground clearance, good size tanks and well made enough to take the occasional rut hole (driving slowly). Something approx 30ft long five or take a few feet.

People have suggested Komfort (no longer made)
Adak (to expensive)

Can any one advise on a Model that would meet these qualifications?

Thanks

Rgds

nornev
20 REPLIES 20

nonrev321
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Thanks everyone for the input. I should probably have made it a bit clearer. Will not be heading into the woods or undeveloped areas for really roughing it. Mostly State and Federal parts that have undeveloped locations for trailers... so basically Boon docking but in locations designated for boon docking so some accommodations for travel trailers size and length is expected.. but not much

So far Lance and The Arctic Fox seem to be the most accommodating to what I want. Anyone know anything about the Lance Trailers?

Thanks

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
My Jayco has almost 12 years going down washboard and rutted dirt roads and so far is holding up. Like has been said before just take it slow so you don't shake things apart. But also realize that a 30 footer will be limited to fairly flat trails. The overhang is so long that you can drag the tail and or damage plumbing it you're not careful.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 30 footer on a two track trail? You have a lot more courage than I do -- it can be really hard to find a good place to turn around, even with my little trailer. (The box itself is just under 12 feet long, or should I say 12 feet short?)

But many trailers can be towed on bad roads. Just take it really slow -- bad impacts can tweak the frame. Use tough components when you flip the axle. Lock the drawers and cabinets. Watch those overhanging branches, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just my opinion, but I don't like towing any kind of trailer on dirt roads due to the ST tires. I would rather use an E rated LT tire but you would probably need new wheels due to tire/wheel psi ratings that would have to fit your wheel wells and trailer framework.
I have done it a few times and was lucky afterwards. Rolling down the highway at 65 mph after covering miles of off road travel is not a good idea IMO.

If you venture into the back country with no cell service, i would know how to retract a slideout and retract an electric awning . Know the 'how-to' mechanics of both because you will probably have no help.

A pop-up TC with no slide and aluminum siding would be the unit of choice for ground clearance (holding tanks,dump valves) , low center of gravity, E rated tires to stand up to rocks and the aluminum saves weight, filon is heavier. Its also a lot easier to make a u-turn when you get into a back road 'tight spot' .

If you choose to go ahead with it :
Mods can also be done to any unit.

leaf spring equalizers
shocks
flip the axles , to offer increased ground clearance to offer more protection to the dump valves and holding tanks.

wcbass
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, check out Arctic Fox. We had a 30' fifth wheel for years and took it down lots of somewhat-maintained dirt roads in Wyoming.
2011 Cameo 35SB3 Fifth wheel
2015 Ford F350 4x4

bailer6334
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Northwood Mfg - Arctic Fox.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH