cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Well, today it happened!! ~Updated~

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Driving down the freeway got the message for low fuel pressure. Few seconds later in to limp mode. Barely got off the freeway safely. AAA towed my truck to the Dealer. My HPFP grenaded at 9300 miles!! Took the injectors with it along with a myriad of other junk. And I do mean JUNK. 2016 Suer Duty with 9300 miles!!! Run nothing but Chevron diesel from a high volume station.

I'm done!! Back to gas!! Don't care if I only climb the mtns at 45 MPH!!! :M:M:M
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
177 REPLIES 177

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The CP4 has a much higher failure rate than the CP3; anyone who doesn't think so is really kidding themselves. Further, it does NOT take fuel contamination for the CP4 to grenade and OP's case is proof of that. There is no doubt that contamination can finish off any fuel system, but I do not believe that is the case with MANY of the CP4 pump failures.

The other thing is that even IF a CP3 fails, the engine dies. You change the pump, start the truck, and carry on. It does not trash the entire fuel system like the CP4 does.

I entirely agree that I too would be shopping for another truck rather than living with playing this game of Russian roulette. As I stated earlier, it is one of the main reasons that I did not buy a Ford 6.7L. And no, I'm not a Ford hater; I owned 3 of them over the years and drive an F-150 for work which is a fantastic truck. I still find myself looking at cherry 7.3L F-350's on Ebay! :B

And lastly, all of these trucks will be out of warranty one day and the owner is on the hook for all of the repairs. I think it's not a matter of if but when the CP4 grenades and causes this grief and insanely expensive repair bill. Sadly most owners of vehicles with these pumps have no idea that this time bomb exists. I have seen 2 reports on my local news of VW owners going through this exact fiasco. It wasn't until the media got involved that VW decided to cover the costs of the repairs in both cases. Good financial management to me means owning a product that will cost me the least in repairs over it's life no matter what is on the hood.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm brand loyal when the brand I buy doesn't fail. That's how a company makes me want to buy another one.

Treating me decently when a known problem rears its ugly head, rather than fixing said problem before I have to deal with it doesn't make me brand loyal, it makes me look for alternatives. I have no real favorites when it comes to trucks, I own a Ford and a Dodge.

Might want to take up walking as they all have known failure points.

When a company has had problems with a part that causes such devastating and expensive problems for 7 years and the customers are worried and not sure if the company will back their product is crazy. If I was scared that Ram was not going to back my truck I would be shopping right now for another brand. I definitely would not buy from them again and I definitely would not step down in capabilities to stay with them. People can make fun of my recalls but at least I don't have to worry if they are going to back their product.

Then I hope you don't have to deal with fuel contamination because Ram, GM and Ford techs all look for signs of contamination before any warranty work is approved plain and simple. If your fuel system gets a taste of water, rust will follow and a complete fuel system is in your cards.

As for the problems they're not widespread like you and others portray and most people don't live in fear including myself.

I have dealt with it. Guess what I had to do. I had to drain the fuel tank and put in a new fuel filter. Started the truck and sent it on the way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And sometimes you get lucky. I've seen a 6.7PSD fuel system contaminated with DEF that did the same repair and was back on the road after some serious flushing. Sometimes you get lucky but if rust develops it's game over for any Common Rail Fuel system. Our previous 05 Dodge had a injector pump and 3 injectors replaced from contamination (most likely water)by the previous owner. About 6 months later we were changing out the other 3 injectors as they deteriorated at a slower rate for some reason. So yes the fuel system did not destruct immediately but it eventually had to be replaced. Our current 05 Dodge still has the original fuel system.

Bottom line Ram improved their filter system in '13 and Ford improved their filter system in '17 to better protect the fuel system from contamination no matter how you spin it.

As for the OP his fuel pump must have been a manufacturing defect and Ford replaced it under warranty plain and simple.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm brand loyal when the brand I buy doesn't fail. That's how a company makes me want to buy another one.

Treating me decently when a known problem rears its ugly head, rather than fixing said problem before I have to deal with it doesn't make me brand loyal, it makes me look for alternatives. I have no real favorites when it comes to trucks, I own a Ford and a Dodge.

When a company has had problems with a part that causes such devastating and expensive problems for 7 years and the customers are worried and not sure if the company will back their product is crazy. If I was scared that Ram was not going to back my truck I would be shopping right now for another brand. I definitely would not buy from them again and I definitely would not step down in capabilities to stay with them. People can make fun of my recalls but at least I don't have to worry if they are going to back their product.

Then I hope you don't have to deal with fuel contamination because Ram, GM and Ford techs all look for signs of contamination before any warranty work is approved plain and simple. If your fuel system gets a taste of water, rust will follow and a complete fuel system is in your cards.

As for the problems they're not widespread like you and others portray and most people don't live in fear including myself.

I have dealt with it. Guess what I had to do. I had to drain the fuel tank and put in a new fuel filter. Started the truck and sent it on the way. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
On our third newer model Ford diesel, 4th Ford truck. Nothing's blown up yet... just kept on needing a bigger truck. Or in the case of the new one, the husband wanted the new model in white and we got a killer deal on it... just over 60k and they gave us 53k for our '15 Platinum DRW...
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Very true, but I guess I'm just lucky. Mostly anyway, I don't buy GM products after my experience with a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier. For several years GM made lousy rack-and-pinion power steering units. Rather than fix the known problem, it was easier to fix them when people brought them in for warranty, if it happened while under warranty, if not then GM was home free. No recall, just a known problem. I got one in that Cavalier, and won't give them a chance to do it to me again. Fool me once...

Like I said, if it lets me down, I don't give them a chance to repeat the experience. I've had several Honda's, a couple Ford's, and so far so good.
Some cars are men't to be throw aways.
The Cavalier was one of those. I haven't seen one of those on the road for a long time.

Full size trucks for some reason have always had staying power.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Very true, but I guess I'm just lucky. Mostly anyway, I don't buy GM products after my experience with a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier. For several years GM made lousy rack-and-pinion power steering units. Rather than fix the known problem, it was easier to fix them when people brought them in for warranty, if it happened while under warranty, if not then GM was home free. No recall, just a known problem. I got one in that Cavalier, and won't give them a chance to do it to me again. Fool me once...

Like I said, if it lets me down, I don't give them a chance to repeat the experience. I've had several Honda's, a couple Ford's, and so far so good.

So if the ford goes down ,you only got one more choice , the Ram ,unless Honda builds you a heavy duty truck.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

Me and Chrysler went down that road once with their AWD Town and Country minivan. ONCE. Couldn't afford to get out of it at the time, but will never buy another Chrysler.

Sometimes we encounter problems with any brand. But sometimes they push too far and it is the end.

I have an older Ford diesel, but only after looking at the offerings from other brands as well. It was a better fit for us and we're happy with our choice.

I hope everyone makes their own choices and are just as please :C

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
Thanks to everyone with well wishes for my dilemma. Dealer got it all tore down (cab is 9 feet in the air!!) and diagnosed the problem. CP4 exploded taking out the injectors and filling the fuel system with metal filings. I can't believe how Ford Motor Co and Lithia Ford of Boise treated me!! So very surprised after all the horror stories of not covering these. Everything covered, no problem!! Gave me a new 4x4 F 150 loaner. So relieved.

But I would never trust that truck again. And if I lost another pump I bet it would be a real problem to get it covered again. I went back yesterday and got a '16 F250 6.2 GAS. CC, 6.5 box, FX4 loaded Lariat. Real Creampuff with 14K miles. I thought I was really going to pay for this but I was more than ecstatic with the deal.

Today I am driving a beautiful Pearl White Lariat while the old one is still in the shop with all it's guts out!!! How do you spell relief? :B

Happy that you are happy DJ...though, you did really ruin the day of those who dislike Ford. I picture them all sitting around with crossed fingers that this would turn into a post on how Ford denied you warranty coverage, stole your wallet, and kidnapped your first born.

But seriously, glad you are happy how it ended up.

I'm not a Ford hater but there is no way in heck I would go from a new diesel to a new gas and be happy. That's some brand loyalty right there. Whether the OP needed a diesel or not he bought a diesel for a reason, became scared of it so instead of trading for a more proven reliable diesel he dropped his standards to step down in trucks. I know he traded for a more optioned out truck but if that's what he wanted I don't know why he didn't do it in the first place.

OP, I'm truly happy that you are happy with your outcome just seems like a crappy deal to me.

Ask yourself why are people brand loyal? Because they take care of them properly when things go wrong. Sounds about right in this case.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
Thanks to everyone with well wishes for my dilemma. Dealer got it all tore down (cab is 9 feet in the air!!) and diagnosed the problem. CP4 exploded taking out the injectors and filling the fuel system with metal filings. I can't believe how Ford Motor Co and Lithia Ford of Boise treated me!! So very surprised after all the horror stories of not covering these. Everything covered, no problem!! Gave me a new 4x4 F 150 loaner. So relieved.

But I would never trust that truck again. And if I lost another pump I bet it would be a real problem to get it covered again. I went back yesterday and got a '16 F250 6.2 GAS. CC, 6.5 box, FX4 loaded Lariat. Real Creampuff with 14K miles. I thought I was really going to pay for this but I was more than ecstatic with the deal.

Today I am driving a beautiful Pearl White Lariat while the old one is still in the shop with all it's guts out!!! How do you spell relief? :B

Happy that you are happy DJ...though, you did really ruin the day of those who dislike Ford. I picture them all sitting around with crossed fingers that this would turn into a post on how Ford denied you warranty coverage, stole your wallet, and kidnapped your first born.

But seriously, glad you are happy how it ended up.

I'm not a Ford hater but there is no way in heck I would go from a new diesel to a new gas and be happy. That's some brand loyalty right there. Whether the OP needed a diesel or not he bought a diesel for a reason, became scared of it so instead of trading for a more proven reliable diesel he dropped his standards to step down in trucks. I know he traded for a more optioned out truck but if that's what he wanted I don't know why he didn't do it in the first place.

OP, I'm truly happy that you are happy with your outcome just seems like a crappy deal to me.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
LOFL at this whole thread!
Some of you could argue against the sky being blue....

Where's the "LIKE!" button?
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN