Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What can I Haul on a One Ton?

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
All,

It turns out not much. I'm looking at a 2009 Ram 3500 Cummins/6Speed Manual Crew Cab SLT 4x4 SRW with a GVWR of 10,100# and a curb weight of 6,644#. That leaves me with a whooping 3,465# for a camper.

Try to find a hard side camper with a loaded weight under that. The pickings get pretty slim.

You're thoughts are welcome.

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt
53 REPLIES 53

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Eugarps wrote:

I like the 840 a lot and, yes, it will work. You're an Alaskan, what do you think of Wolf Creek's cold weather capability? I found an 840 equipped as I want but before I drive from Maryland to Oregon to look at it, I need an opinion of that point. Mellow Mike was apparantly not all that impressed with this WC's 4 season performance but he, while an avid overlander and TC professional, is from Arizona. I'm from Maryland and travel the Rockies in winter to visit my kids. Thus cold weather performance is important to me. High plains winters are nasty and I want to be warm, if I need to hole up behind a grain elevator.... I've done that in Montana in my 1970 VW Squareback.

Bill

I don't use mine in the winter, however I do use it in the spring when everything is still froze up and into late fall and have not had to run the heater a whole lot. I have yet to use up both propane tanks in one season. I have the optional storm windows but have not needed them yet. You can also get double pane windows if you'd like. A Wolf Creek is very similar to a Arctic Fox minus the 2" thick walls, most everything else is built the same (wood cabinets, fabrics, quality appliances, etc).
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Why drive to Oregon when you can drive to NH and visit the largest truck camper dealer on the east coast, Truck Camper Warehouse?

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Eugarps wrote:
All,

It turns out not much. I'm looking at a 2009 Ram 3500 Cummins/6Speed Manual Crew Cab SLT 4x4 SRW with a GVWR of 10,100# and a curb weight of 6,644#. That leaves me with a whooping 3,465# for a camper.

Try to find a hard side camper with a loaded weight under that. The pickings get pretty slim.

Bill

Both Wolf Creek models will fit within your goal fully loaded. They are full size, 8' wide and 6'6" tall on the inside. The cabover has a full queen bed and the dinette bed in my WC850 is also 6'6" long so adults fit fine. Don't think you need to buy a narrow hard side camper with a squatty low ceiling, there are options out there.

I like the 840 a lot and, yes, it will work. You're an Alaskan, what do you think of Wolf Creek's cold weather capability? I found an 840 equipped as I want but before I drive from Maryland to Oregon to look at it, I need an opinion of that point. Mellow Mike was apparantly not all that impressed with this WC's 4 season performance but he, while an avid overlander and TC professional, is from Arizona. I'm from Maryland and travel the Rockies in winter to visit my kids. Thus cold weather performance is important to me. High plains winters are nasty and I want to be warm, if I need to hole up behind a grain elevator.... I've done that in Montana in my 1970 VW Squareback.

Bill
TC - Still in the Hunt

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Eugarps wrote:
All,

Bill

Both Wolf Creek models will fit within your goal fully loaded. They are full size, 8' wide and 6'6" tall on the inside. The cabover has a full queen bed and the dinette bed in my WC850 is also 6'6" long so adults fit fine. Don't think you need to buy a narrow hard side camper with a squatty low ceiling, there are options out there.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Eugarps wrote:
All,

with a GVWR of 10,100# and a curb weight of 6,644#. That leaves me with a whooping 3,465# for a camper.

Bill

My truck has a GVW of 9500 lbs. It weighs 6220 lbs. That leaves me 3280 for cargo or as stated on the sticker in my glove box 2935 lbs.

My camper partially loaded minus fluids weighs 3760 lbs, 9980 lbs combined.

That puts my truck over by 480 lbs. :R

So here's is how I look at it.

Tires are rated at 3190 max X 4 = 12,760.

Front GVW 4400 lbs, rear 6200 lbs or a total GVW of 10,600 lbs.

Looks like I'm really 620 lbs under. :S

So, it looks like I'm within the limits.

Yep, I'm good to go. :B
Camp Host, from the other side.

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Eugarps wrote:

I thought you'd do:

How much camper could a one ton haul, if a one ton could haul campers?

๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm not that quick. LOL

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Rubiranch wrote:
"What can I Haul on a One Ton?"

Well lets see.

Dirt, rocks, building materials, sod, kids (in two states I believe ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) and even campers. The list is endless.

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

Hope you find the right camper. ๐Ÿ˜„

I thought you'd do:

How much camper could a one ton haul, if a one ton could haul campers?

๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰
TC - Still in the Hunt

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
"What can I Haul on a One Ton?"

Well lets see.

Dirt, rocks, building materials, sod, kids (in two states I believe ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) and even campers. The list is endless.

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

Hope you find the right camper. ๐Ÿ˜„

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Lance which is what I'm familiar with and those are brochure weights. Looks like little bit more homework went into the Artic Fox as the brochure weight is 3,010 pounds for the 990.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Truck Camper Mag has an article showing the true weights of most of the campers that are for sale today.

Sorry but the TCM weights are advertised dry weights pulled from the brochures, not real world actual weights. Dry weights are without any options and they consider a battery as an option.

just for the heck of it, look up the arctic fox 990 on that link.

Dry weight above includes the Fox Value Package (595 pounds) with rear awning, sliding battery rack, dual 30 pound LP tanks, roof rack, ladder, Rieco-Titan electric jacks, outside speakers, sliding storage tray, TV antenna, diamond plate knee wall armor, six cubic foot two-way refrigerator, deluxe stainless-look refrigerator door panels, 22? oven, microwave, pull-out pantry, multi-speed reversible fan vent, hardwood hamper doors, below dinette access door and drawer, front bedroom shelf, and bedspread โ€“ MSRP $5,490.

*Arctic Fox 990: dry weight, 3,605 pounds + 53 gallons fresh, 442 pounds + 6 gallon full hot water heater, 50 pounds + 2x 30-pound full propane tanks, 54 pounds + 2 batteries, 130 pounds + stuff, 500 pounds = 4,781 pounds
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This topic comes up about once a week or more on here.
Many......ummm....opinions and facts.
I wouldn't blink at hauling 4-4500lbs in that truck with the right tires and suspension.
Others would.
Do a couple hours of reading in this thread and you'll have enough info and bs to form your opinion.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Truck Camper Mag has an article showing the true weights of most of the campers that are for sale today.

Sorry but the TCM weights are advertised dry weights pulled from the brochures, not real world actual weights. Dry weights are without any options and they consider a battery as an option.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
As if we know of every camper combination that has ever hit the road, and its fate.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Eugarps wrote:
TxGearhead,

How heavy is the 2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 in your sig?

Bill

I bought it used in Middletown MD. I weighed it that day at the Pilot truck stop in Hagerstown MD. With a full tank of water and a few clothes, and me, it was 3800. I've since added pots and pans and other essentials. It has optional side awning and A/C. I had it on the road last week and should have weighed it again. Bigfoot says it weighs 2820. My payload is 4018.
The newer 1 ton SRW trucks sit pretty high in the back. Loaded with the Bigfoot it now sits level or maybe just a little bit low at the back. I added a BigWig anti-sway bar. Considering Stableloads. Most people would say it's fine as is. Before the BigWig I didn't have any scary moments, or sway from 18 wheelers, etc.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive