cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What can I tow with a full ton SRW?

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
In a litany of other threads I had been pursuing a full ton DRW to handle a TC and maybe down the road a fifth wheel or large TT.

But as I've been properly educated by the forum and other reading, it's becoming apparent that a big long bed Dually is not really what i had in mind. My goal is to be able to take a camper off road and into the mountains in the winter, over snow, and be able to boondock for up to 1 week at a time. And a long bed DRW may not have the capability to do what I really want, especially with a heavy TC on the back.

So now I am backtracking and thinking about a SRW again. Throw out the fifth wheel because that is not a priority. But what can I tow as far as a TC or a TT with a full ton RAM 4x4 Diesel SRW crew cab short bed which has a listed payload of about 4300 lb? I'm looking at pop up campers, off road travel trailers, and the like.

I figure 5 passengers beyond the driver will add 750 lb (we are small people). Then 500 lb of gear. That leaves about 3000 lb of payload for the TC or TT (wet).

What do you think? Can I find a decent off road TT or TC at that weight or lower?

Thank you for indulging me and I apologize for the ambivalence. I didn't understand all the limitations of a dually (I see now that their primary strength is pulling, payload, and stability on the highway).
38 REPLIES 38

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Air bags and off road may not be a great combination. One of the reasons I installed Timbrens on my truck rather than airbags is that they are only attached at one end so I don't have to worry about tearing a bag with too much axle droop.

The shocks limit the travel before the bags are hurt just like on the steel sprung trucks.

Wouldn't that depend on the shock?

Sorry, I missed this. You would have the wrong shock if it would allow a bag to tear. Besides, on a leaf sprung truck the leaves will keep it from extending too far also.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm back... and have finally settled on a

RAM
3500 SLT so I can get the bench seat in the front and seat 6
mega cab (short bed)
SRW
diesel
AISIN
4x4

These look to be in the $55k range at the biggest dealers

thanks for all the help

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
At this point I'm pretty sold on a SRW full ton towing a travel trailer, maybe a small fifth wheel but really doubt I need that much space. I might get a pop up camper for when just two of us want to off road for a few days.

Sounds like a great choice. The CCSB 3500 4x4 SRWs are wonderful trucks. Spacious inside and out but also wheel-able off road.

Again, you will not need to upgrade or modify anything on a new 1-ton SRW. Tires, wheels, suspension are all really stout. Just decide how long you plan to keep the truck for- if it's long term then don't skimp on options like the Aisin. Buy it exactly how you want it as it's pennies over 10 years to add an option or too. I know it's childish, but 900 lb/ft is nice to have ๐Ÿ™‚ Just avoid the Limited with that ugly grille.

I've grown to like my Limited grill......:B
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
At this point I'm pretty sold on a SRW full ton towing a travel trailer, maybe a small fifth wheel but really doubt I need that much space. I might get a pop up camper for when just two of us want to off road for a few days.

Sounds like a great choice. The CCSB 3500 4x4 SRWs are wonderful trucks. Spacious inside and out but also wheel-able off road.

Again, you will not need to upgrade or modify anything on a new 1-ton SRW. Tires, wheels, suspension are all really stout. Just decide how long you plan to keep the truck for- if it's long term then don't skimp on options like the Aisin. Buy it exactly how you want it as it's pennies over 10 years to add an option or too. I know it's childish, but 900 lb/ft is nice to have ๐Ÿ™‚ Just avoid the Limited with that ugly grille.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
This is what we used to do. Bikes, kayaks, gasoline, generator....all stuff that you accumulate and won't fit in the TC for extended trips.

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not done it yet you really need to go look at truck campers and get inside one with the people you plan on camping in it with. Don't forget with a small camper you don't have a lot of water capacity fresh or black/grey. Some people with truck campers even pull a cargo trailer to carry all the stuff that will not fit or is just to heavy to put in the TC.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
i hear you saying to dump the TC idea and go straight to at least a TT. Most any TT should be a good match with the vehicle in quesiton and while not 'off road' ready will definitely handle a rough dirt road at a slow pace. Then I can stick wth SRW, get a SB, and have plenty of room?

I still have the TC, we use it for day trips to the mountains or staying over at friends houses, but really not much else.

Stop cooking to let the other pass, sit up in bed while I change clothes....getting a bigger TC with slides would help the issues but then going off road is no longer an option and those big boys are not light, 4 to 5K is not unreasonable. While we still do logging roads and forestry service roads anything more challenging is out of the question.

My son inherited my old f250 short box and he is looking for a popup camper to stray further afield, but a popup is more of a purpose built unit with off roading in mind. They have less posh and bling in favour of functionalty.

With a bumper pull you limit yourself with the length and lack of manuverability if going off road.

So many choices, so many ideas.....what were those lottery numbers again?
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjstractor wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
What else do you think?

Total sales price was $54,700, including destination but excluding RAM incentives and taxes.

Sounds like a really nice truck but the price is insane. Dennis Dillon in Idaho has a bunch of Tradesmen for $10K or more less. They may not have the HO engine with the Aisin but unless you are bumping right up against the SRW tow rating IMO it's a nice to have, not a need to have. They have a Laramie with the Aisin for about what your dealer wants for the Tradesman. Maybe you can use Dillon to get your dealer to back down aways on pricing. It might be a pain to go to southern Idaho to buy a truck sight unseen but probably worth it to save several thousand dollars.

yeah, I know they're way too high. I would leverage Dennis Dillion and Dave Smith and basically just get the cheapest deal I can. I see Dillion has a Tradesman with the AISIN and the rear air suspension and almost all of the other options this one has for $46k.

This local guy is actually pretty high volume, I think. Serves a large blue collar area with tons of work trucks, fleets, etc. So maybe he can match or come very close.

What are the after market mods that one can put on a vehicle like this (SRW) that would help the truck's payload? Tires? Air suspension?

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
rvshrinker wrote:
What else do you think?

Total sales price was $54,700, including destination but excluding RAM incentives and taxes.

Sounds like a really nice truck but the price is insane. Dennis Dillon in Idaho has a bunch of Tradesmen for $10K or more less. They may not have the HO engine with the Aisin but unless you are bumping right up against the SRW tow rating IMO it's a nice to have, not a need to have. They have a Laramie with the Aisin for about what your dealer wants for the Tradesman. Maybe you can use Dillon to get your dealer to back down aways on pricing. It might be a pain to go to southern Idaho to buy a truck sight unseen but probably worth it to save several thousand dollars.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
i hear you saying to dump the TC idea and go straight to at least a TT. Most any TT should be a good match with the vehicle in quesiton and while not 'off road' ready will definitely handle a rough dirt road at a slow pace. Then I can stick wth SRW, get a SB, and have plenty of room?

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Big campers hang out the back of the TC and you can easily rip off the jacks.
they are top heavy and sway a lot. Also when you get to far off the beaten path, are you prepared to get the side of your new ride all scratched up?

I have both a TC and a fifth wheel. they both have their purpose. We find we use the fifth wheel more and more, mainly due to the comfort (room) factor.
Our TC is a 8.5 footer so it ends 6 inches part the bumper and had no slides. Last year we travelled on some roads that were questionable for the truck and TC, anything longer might have been a disaster.

IMHO a TC is great for 2 and maybe a couple of small kids but that's about it. I am sure many will disagree, but after 10 years camping in a TC, it was becoming old fast.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Sadly big heavy truck campers do not IMHO work very well as an off road vehicle"

I agree.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I finally went in and drove a couple RAMs and now am more informed and full of a million more questions.

First, definitely sold on the AISIN. It is a smooth, quiet beast. Loved it. It's overkill for my purposes but I don't care.

Second, the Tradesman was perfectly suitable for my needs. It's basic but drives well and is surprisingly quiet (again, with that AISIN). Maybe will add a few options but definitely won't go above an SLT. Not worth it for my purposes.

The dually is wide, unnatural to me. However, I could probably get used to it without a ton of trouble. The SRW even in a LB handled so well I really didn't even notice its size except maneuvering around the parking lot. I was really pleased with that.

So now I am debating between a couple options and need some more info.

First, SB or LB? Even though I'll have the AISIN (and maybe it only comes in LB?), I doubt I'll ever pull a fifth wheel because I won't have the dually. So do I need the LB? The SB will limit my TC options and I handled the LB fine, I just imagine the SB would be a little better off road. I can go either way, just need some feedback.

Second, I'm confused by the options. This particular Tradesman had most everything I would need, with a trailering package, backup camera, folding seat, side steps, "mounted auxillary switches", bedlier, trailer brake control (which I think i part of the trailer package), and the chrome package, trailer brake conrol and diesel exhaust brake. What other options would Be recommended? It comes with the Uplifter Electronic Module VSIM - what is that?

Third, I wouldn't have the chance to add some of the other recommended options like the auto level air suspension. Do you think that's necessary, especially with a SRW and no desire to to pull a fifth wheel or extremely heavy TT? Or can I add an after market option down the road if necessary?

Finally, am I correct that as long as I don't exceed the RAWR I can exceed the GVWR pretty safely? And I could upgrade tires as needed and with other after market options to maximize rear axle weight capacity?

The only other thing I didn't like was the center module in the front meant no floor space for the 6th passenger. He showed me a couple other vehicles which didn't hvae the module on the floor, which meant for some floor space - but not that much. I couldn't understand his explanation about whether and how I could choose between those options. Having some floor space for a sixth passenger is important to us.

What else do you think?