cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what company makes these jacks and tie downs.

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
Loki basecamp is advertising it's new line up. https://www.lokibasecamp.com/

They show removable jacks as well as in the bed tie downs.
What company is making these, or is it there own?
And how does an in the bed tie down work?
Inquiring minds want to know!
22 REPLIES 22

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
BigSwick wrote:
Cirrus 620 Tie-Down System

Cirrus is using a retractable type ratchet strap on the 620 model. Weight of camper could be upwards of 2500#. They are mounted on the camper and attach in the bed tie downs. Thoughts?

First, what does this have to do with the rest of this 5 month old thread? It's not even about a Cirrus camper.

Second, as long as the ratchet straps are rated to handle the load, sounds like a great idea to me. You're not hanging the truck from the camper. You're just keeping the camper in place.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
still way overpriced for what you get. yes it has a strong fram and is insulated good but thats where it stops. cramped, no real toilet or shower. I think this would be apropreatly priced at 1/2 there asking price and thats only because of the solar and such that is intragrated into the camper roof. there are a lot of things I like about these and a lot I don't. If the price was more realistic compared to other campers, I would concider one myself.

You try building that for production for less.

This is really a problem with any newcomer and what dooms most of them to bankruptcy. Each one is hand built in a shop bay, not on a production line like a large manufacturer such as Lance. There's no economies of scale to be had. You're going to pay more for less (space, amenities, etc.). It may be better quality. It may be lighter, stronger and made of space-age materials. People still shop for cheapest price.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
silversand wrote:
NRAlifr wrote:
Youโ€™d think that for a >$100K truck camper, they could have found a way to squeeze in a cassette toilet at the least.

....that is CAD. Their shop is about 140 kilometers from us. What is that in USD? Something like $74k USD today. Not too bad, considering that the $100k CAD model has in the vicinity of $45,000 in accessories in and on top and on back of it.

We are following a Quebec couple (young couple, probably in their mid 30s) who bought a LOKI. While their rig is being cultom-built, their last Youtube vid showed them with a LOKI loaner this winter.

I recall seeing the "jacks" being retractable into the camper shell, kinda like landing gear on an aircraft.

still way overpriced for what you get. yes it has a strong fram and is insulated good but thats where it stops. cramped, no real toilet or shower. I think this would be apropreatly priced at 1/2 there asking price and thats only because of the solar and such that is intragrated into the camper roof. there are a lot of things I like about these and a lot I don't. If the price was more realistic compared to other campers, I would concider one myself.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
Cirrus 620 Tie-Down System

Cirrus is using a retractable type ratchet strap on the 620 model. Weight of camper could be upwards of 2500#. They are mounted on the camper and attach in the bed tie downs. Thoughts?

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
NRAlifr wrote:
Youโ€™d think that for a >$100K truck camper, they could have found a way to squeeze in a cassette toilet at the least.

....that is CAD. Their shop is about 140 kilometers from us. What is that in USD? Something like $74k USD today. Not too bad, considering that the $100k CAD model has in the vicinity of $45,000 in accessories in and on top and on back of it.

We are following a Quebec couple (young couple, probably in their mid 30s) who bought a LOKI. While their rig is being cultom-built, their last Youtube vid showed them with a LOKI loaner this winter.

I recall seeing the "jacks" being retractable into the camper shell, kinda like landing gear on an aircraft.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
diesel stoves and heaters run off your already filled vehicle diesel tank, for those driving diesels, or off an aux tank for gas trucks. Diesel is a very safe fuel, about as volatile as cooking oil.

The stove works on diesel, but all the exhaust goes outside unlike a propane stove that burns inside. The diesel burns under the stove burner and heats the plate (the circle) and heats the pan. Popular in Europe where they have a lot of diesel vehicles.

Induction cook tops are a nice option for quickie cooking, like coffee or eggs or heating water, but not ideal for meals that require a long time on the stove. They use a lot of battery power, but for short meals and sufficient battery supply (and solar probably) this is not a problem.

If I had it to do over I would install a diesel heater and use induction cooktop and just carry a portable camping stove for backup. Then I would not need a big propane tank mounted anywhere nor a need to fill it/ exchange it. I have a DC fridge, so would need a little bit more power than I have now (old batteries) just in case to make it thru the night without running batts too far down. Very very doable though.

Yes, taking off the legs and finding storage is not easy, there really is no place to store them that is good, but go off road and you have no choice other than to leave them home, or mount them upsidedown, but then you have to worry about tree limbs. If you get serious then consider building a mount on the rear of the camper to bolt the legs to that is safe and out of the way, yet ugly...

Smaller TCs have internal tie down points and are accessed thru a door inside the TC to the truck bed.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe they use the D-Jacker system?

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/d-jacker-system-for-rieco-titan-jacks/
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
I'm asking because I do not know. What is the advantage to the diesel fuel heater and stove. Doesn't diesel stink and it's a little hard to deal with as far as my own observations..

I should have included a link to that. The diesel fueled cooktops are a solid surface unit that is very similar in design to a propane furnace in that it exhausts itโ€™s fumes and excess heat to the outside. Since they are apparently already supplying diesel fuel to the water heater/furnace via either a connection to the truck fuel system or an onboard tank, that could also supply fuel to a diesel cooktop.

Iโ€™m not fond of a single-source of energy for RVโ€™s for the same reasons I have never wanted a total electric home.

EarthRoamer uses these in their units, BTW.

Webasto Diesel Cooktop

Webasto Dual Top ST Air and Water Heater

:):)

Thank you for the info, it is interesting. I like your point about not putting all your eggs in one basket. I have the usual lance 1181 setup in mine that really surpasses all my needs. I've said before that I don't and have never boondocked, there is no reason behind that statement I've just never done it. With that said perhaps it's time to look into some of the solar options as I now have my truck and camper ready to bug out on a moments notice. Solar would probably be more useable in a bug out situation for me. I'll pass on the diesel and stick with propane only because I would never get a new enough camper for such things. It's a good thread, I always liked these informative ones.

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
They also are using 12 volt AC and heat. I would think that would take lots of battery power.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
I'm asking because I do not know. What is the advantage to the diesel fuel heater and stove. Doesn't diesel stink and it's a little hard to deal with as far as my own observations..

I should have included a link to that. The diesel fueled cooktops are a solid surface unit that is very similar in design to a propane furnace in that it exhausts itโ€™s fumes and excess heat to the outside. Since they are apparently already supplying diesel fuel to the water heater/furnace via either a connection to the truck fuel system or an onboard tank, that could also supply fuel to a diesel cooktop.

Iโ€™m not fond of a single-source of energy for RVโ€™s for the same reasons I have never wanted a total electric home.

EarthRoamer uses these in their units, BTW.

Webasto Diesel Cooktop

Webasto Dual Top ST Air and Water Heater

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
BigSwick wrote:
ajriding wrote:
they seem to have steel plates on the side of the camper where something slides in between the truck bed rail and the camper to lift it off. For off-road you would always want to remove the legs of course so they do not get ripped off.
Did you ask the company this question? Seems they would know better than any of us... or is this a sneaky way to get in a plug and website link for the brand?

No, I do not work for the company or own their stock. I am really curious on how the heck the tie downs are accessed when the camper is in the bed. It does make for a much cleaner look.
With limited storage space, I can't imagine trying to find a place to put the jacks when you take them off.

I wonder if the builders idea of a truck camper is you put it on at home, leave the jacks at home and take it back off when you get back home. They are bulky as heck and they weigh 80 pounds with an electric head.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:
ajriding wrote:
โ€ฆโ€ฆ... or is this a sneaky way to get in a plug and website link for the brand?

Could be. Unless the OP returns we may never know. Or maybe itโ€™s: if he never returns, we know for sure! :B

Anyway, I like the construction and perceived build quality of the unit. Itโ€™s got some nice features like the Webasto water and air heating unit. Iโ€™m assuming itโ€™s the Dual Top ST diesel water heater/furnace combo unit. Thatโ€™s five grand right there. Itโ€™s got a lot of solar, and a lot of batteries. I see a Redarc controller panel, so Iโ€™d bet there are other Redarc components in there as well. Those are all high quality, and high dollar Australian built units.

I donโ€™t like the porta-potty, or hassock style toilet. Youโ€™d think that for a >$100K truck camper, they could have found a way to squeeze in a cassette toilet at the least.

The shower contraptionโ€ฆ.I donโ€™t know about that for frequent use. Cleaning up, drying out and storing a soft-wall shower enclosure like that very often seems like would get old quick. Just the little experience Iโ€™ve had with putting away a wet tent, then having to make sure you get it out so it will dry and not mildew makes me question how well the shower will work when you throw in the soap, dirt, and bacteria that will present in a shower environment.

I donโ€™t like that the only means of heating food is a portable induction cooktop. I get the โ€œNo microwaveโ€ and the โ€œNo propaneโ€ part, but Webasto makes a diesel fueled cooktop, seems like they could have fit one somewhere.

Just my impressions from what I could glean from the website.

:R Letโ€™s Go Girls! ๐Ÿ˜›
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Lance 1121-Two Awnings, Slide topper, 3.6 kw Gen, Trimetric Batt. Monitor, 1500W Inverter, 40A Redarc DC-DC charger. 2016 F450 6.7 PSD.

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
they seem to have steel plates on the side of the camper where something slides in between the truck bed rail and the camper to lift it off. For off-road you would always want to remove the legs of course so they do not get ripped off.
Did you ask the company this question? Seems they would know better than any of us... or is this a sneaky way to get in a plug and website link for the brand?

No, I do not work for the company or own their stock. I am really curious on how the heck the tie downs are accessed when the camper is in the bed. It does make for a much cleaner look.
With limited storage space, I can't imagine trying to find a place to put the jacks when you take them off.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
โ€ฆโ€ฆ... or is this a sneaky way to get in a plug and website link for the brand?

Could be. Unless the OP returns we may never know. Or maybe itโ€™s: if he never returns, we know for sure! :B

Anyway, I like the construction and perceived build quality of the unit. Itโ€™s got some nice features like the Webasto water and air heating unit. Iโ€™m assuming itโ€™s the Dual Top ST diesel water heater/furnace combo unit. Thatโ€™s five grand right there. Itโ€™s got a lot of solar, and a lot of batteries. I see a Redarc controller panel, so Iโ€™d bet there are other Redarc components in there as well. Those are all high quality, and high dollar Australian built units.

I donโ€™t like the porta-potty, or hassock style toilet. Youโ€™d think that for a >$100K truck camper, they could have found a way to squeeze in a cassette toilet at the least.

The shower contraptionโ€ฆ.I donโ€™t know about that for frequent use. Cleaning up, drying out and storing a soft-wall shower enclosure like that very often seems like would get old quick. Just the little experience Iโ€™ve had with putting away a wet tent, then having to make sure you get it out so it will dry and not mildew makes me question how well the shower will work when you throw in the soap, dirt, and bacteria that will present in a shower environment.

I donโ€™t like that the only means of heating food is a portable induction cooktop. I get the โ€œNo microwaveโ€ and the โ€œNo propaneโ€ part, but Webasto makes a diesel fueled cooktop, seems like they could have fit one somewhere.

Just my impressions from what I could glean from the website.

:R Letโ€™s Go Girls! ๐Ÿ˜›
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Lance 1121-Two Awnings, Slide topper, 3.6 kw Gen, Trimetric Batt. Monitor, 1500W Inverter, 40A Redarc DC-DC charger. 2016 F450 6.7 PSD.
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!