cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What defines a TT as a "True Four Season"?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have heard this phrase tossed around, "True Four Season", and I am wondering if there is literal exact definition that applies here. The fact that the word "True" is added to the term "Four Season", would indicate that there are TTs that are claimed to be a four season, but are some how lacking a certain standard to qualify them to be a True four season. So I am wondering what these specification are that differentiate a, Four Season, from a, True four season?
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
31 REPLIES 31

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost all are 4 season if you spent the winters in Florida and the summers in Minnesota!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We own an Arctic Fox 31W. It is a 4 seasons TT. We have pulled it from Va to Ok, back to Mo and stayed in a CG in Branson, Temp 4 degres F, no wind and frost was thick on the inside windows but we were snug and had water and toilet. That and having camped in Fl with mid 90s and the Humility was terrible, so was the humidity. AC kept it at about 80 in the hottest part of the day which is ok if you step outside. You don't pass out from the extreme change. Northwood advertises 4 seasons trailers and that's what you get along with the highest quality I have seen. BTW/ I delivered TTs for a living as far west as NM so I've seen quite a few.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Is your home a four season? My house works fine in Indiana but I would not want to live in it in Fairbanks.

So also for the four season TTs. Heated tanks, more insulation, multi-pane windows etc. make for more comfortable weather extremes. The "truer" the model, one assumes the more weather extremes the TT can accommodate.

All of which is interesting but does not speak to the question of will it handle the OPs needs. That is dependent on the type of weather one wants to camp in.

Most of the TT that I have seen for more permanent cold weather use in IN and MI have had considerably more insulation and skirting added. I cannot speak to the AC needs in the hotter climates.

Since we only use our TT for a few days in sub-freezing weather we simply dry camp and use the furnace, and electric heater, and the CG wash house.

It would be interesting to know if the manufacturer advertise a temperature range for their Four Season models.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Those that are decrying the insulation by say it will need to use a lot of fuel..

The walls are only about 2" thick. One simply cannot get much insulation in them.

But i seriously doubt that the compromises a thicker walled TT would entail would attract many buyers.

That said, some TTs are better suited than others.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
FrankShore wrote:
1) Heated, enclosed underbelly (tanks)
2) Dual Pane Windows
3) Winter bypass valve on the water line
5) Ducted Heat (usually by Atwood's "medusa" heating unit)
5) Azdel in the walls
6) Hatch covers

That's the difference

Again with the Azdel?
I'm sure you are one of the very few who would call that out as a requirement for 4 season capability.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
1) Heated, enclosed underbelly (tanks)
2) Dual Pane Windows
3) Winter bypass valve on the water line
5) Ducted Heat (usually by Atwood's "medusa" heating unit)
5) Azdel in the walls
6) Hatch covers

That's the difference
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Searching_Ut wrote:
It's all marketing terminology. I haven't seen anything on the market yet that I personally would call 4 seasons,..

X10

And if you believe all their marketing krap I hear there is a bridge for sale in Brooklyn.

Just like my heated tanks that turned out to be a bedroom heat vent that was split and they sent half of my bedroom heat to my sewage bay. Yup the pipes didn't freeze but my bedroom was no longer 4 seasons worthy. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
and zombie attacks.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Must withstand Heat, Earthquakes, Mudslides and Flooding to cover our four seasons in So Cal. 😉

:B And don't foget wild fires!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Must withstand Heat, Earthquakes, Mudslides and Flooding to cover our four seasons in So Cal. 😉

BadgerMcAdams
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, if you throw enough lightning or dead dinosaurs at it, it will be a 4 season rig. But unless I could "see" inside the walls, ceiling and underbelly to verify what they call "insulation" I wouldn't trust any of them to being a "True" 4 seasons rig.

The manufacturer's idea of 4 seasons and Reality's idea of 4 seasons can vary as much as the latitudes between Florida and Alaska.

If you are looking at a specific geographical location to 4 season at, contact the builder and see if their idea of 4 seasons matches your own.

Nothing is worse than being in the middle of winter and finding out that the trailer is really only able to handle early autumn.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
JoeGood988 wrote:
A sealed underbelly, extra insulation in walls & roof, insulated windows...all which keeps the rig cooler and warmer

Add 'attic vents'

Our NUWA 5th wheel is 4 season trailer

Insulation properties, attic ventilation, enclosed/heated underbelly

We have been in -19*F temps. Roasty-toasty no frozen lines/tanks etc
We have been in 110*F temps with high humidity.....One 15K A/C Unit--kept temps at 78*F

Current models.
Possibly Artic Fox, Keystone (4 season package), Lance TCs, Heartlands Yeti Extreme
https://www.guaranty.com/blog/the-best-4-season-rvs-for-winter-camping-living-road-tripping-part-2

I would add Outdoors RV to the list, I believe at least some of their models are true four season.

True Four Season costs more because the decal by the door is bigger.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
JoeGood988 wrote:
A sealed underbelly, extra insulation in walls & roof, insulated windows...all which keeps the rig cooler and warmer

Add 'attic vents'

Our NUWA 5th wheel is 4 season trailer

Insulation properties, attic ventilation, enclosed/heated underbelly

We have been in -19*F temps. Roasty-toasty no frozen lines/tanks etc
We have been in 110*F temps with high humidity.....One 15K A/C Unit--kept temps at 78*F

Current models.
Possibly Artic Fox, Keystone (4 season package), Lance TCs, Heartlands Yeti Extreme
https://www.guaranty.com/blog/the-best-4-season-rvs-for-winter-camping-living-road-tripping-part-2
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with above, pure marketing. Anyone can call anything whatever they want as long as there are no legal constraints. And sometimes even that doesn't stop them.