cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what did you get dealer to throw in?

Fireman02
Explorer
Explorer
When you bought your trailer, what were you able to get the dealer to include into the price? For example you get the dealer down to $20,000 for a trailer, were you able to get them to throw in a Equal-i-zer, level pads, etc... I'm negoitating with a dealer out of state and want to get an idea of how much I can push for.
Thanks
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Big Horn auto: 20% tint, Line-x, etc..
2013 Springdale 303bhssr
30 REPLIES 30

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got the dealer to order my unit from the factory for the same price I had negotiated for an "on the lot" unit. This meant I got to pick the pattern/color of the upholstery.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer did not throw in anything except respect,honesty, and excellent service both in warranty and out. From what I read here, I got a great deal.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a key chain with the dealer's name on it.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most everyone attempts to get the best deal, and if they felt they got one over on the dealer, then the dealer did their job perfectly. Since MSRP pricing is bogus anyway the dealer has an amazing amount of leeway and can pretty much work any type of deal where the customer believes they were given more for their trade or received thousands of dollars worth of freebies, in reality that is nowhere near the case. The only thing that counts is the out the door price, and be careful to not fall for the upsell items no matter how much they appear to discount them, they are huge moneymakers for the dealer. Good luck and enjoy your new rig.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
What worked for me: I first negotiated the best price I could find for just the TT alone. Once I was convinced that I had found the best price for that specific trailer from any local or online dealer, I then told the dealer that I wanted a 4 way Equal-i-zer in order to close the deal. The dealer eventually agreed.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers would rather throw items into the deal than come down in price. They'll throw in a $1000 item that cost them $700 rather than drop $1000 off the price. They'll net $300 more profit that way.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Fireman02 wrote:
This is going to be my first trailer, so I know I'm going to need a wdh, probably a Equal-i-zer. Also, a friend who who camps said to get the following:
The best sewer hose they have
fresh water hose
Brass pressure reducer
and a good set of chocks
I've gone threw the sales game with cars, trucks, and motorcycles more times than I'd like to admit, but this is my first experience with trailers.

Many RV dealers provide you a "complimentary starter kit" that typically contains a roll of TP, an electrical plug adapter, a cheap sewer hose and an even cheaper potable water hose. As others post, not even that is free, you pay for it in the price of the trailer. I already had stuff from our first RV that I kept, all of it paid for by me and recommended by longtime RV'ers, some bought from RV websites, some from CW, all of it better quality than the "starter kit".

If you need a hitch, you can probably find the hitch you want elsewhere and at a bigger savings than an RV dealer might "give" you. If you can install it and adjust it yourself you would be money ahead. Our most recent RV purchase was a travel trailer, and I needed a hitch so I let the dealer order and install it. Probably spent $350 more for it than the same hitch could be purchased from any other Reese dealer in the area. Live and learn................

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got them to throw in a delivery from MT to WA.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you bought your trailer, what were you able to get the dealer to include into the price? For example you get the dealer down to $20,000 for a trailer, were you able to get them to throw in a Equal-i-zer, level pads, etc... I'm negoitating with a dealer out of state and want to get an idea of how much I can push for.
Thanks

The only thing dealers throw in to make a sale is their profit. It is called charging you for a PDI, charging you for a starter kit, charging you for a cheap budget low end Equalizer hitch, etc. Best to just buy the coach for the best price you can find and then get all the stuff you want when and where you want to get it. Paying $600 for a starter kit that has a sewer hose, a water hose, and some chemicals for the toilet is pure profit. You get $50 worth of stuff you probably don't care about and the dealer gets $550 worth of profit.

The dealer walks you through the coach, shows you how to turn on the hot water heater and AC and how to winterize the coach and it costs him an hour and you paid several hundred dollars for a PDI. Really, you don't know how to fill the water tank and make sure nothing is leaking, broken and everything is working. You need to pay somebody for that??? Just ask the dealer what the PDI is worth that they are throwing in for the deal and then ask them to deduct it from the price. You are supposed to have a warranty on a new coach, let the dealer fix stuff you find broken without paying them to help you find the broken stuff in the PDI. Before you get to the coach the dealer and manufacturer should make sure everything is working. Why should they wait until you purchase the coach and then walk thru it with you finding stuff that they should have fixed prior.

Be willing to walk away from the deal if the dealer starts adding all the things you don't want to pay for. I have several times.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
You pay for everything, the dealer may make you feel like you got something for nothing.

We set a price for what we were willing to pay. After he agreed we also said that we needed a distribution hitch, sway bars, a hitch putting on the back of the trailer to pull the boat,( Done properly with new steel beam across for support) and all necessary electrical items for electric brakes that we didn't already have. We told him exactly what brand we wanted.

Did we get it for nothing. We could think so but I am sure the dealer made enough on the sale to more than cover everything.

It is a good deal if you both are happy with the outcome.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
You can do a lot BETTER on many of those items at your local Walmart Store.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Fireman02
Explorer
Explorer
This is going to be my first trailer, so I know I'm going to need a wdh, probably a Equal-i-zer. Also, a friend who who camps said to get the following:
The best sewer hose they have
fresh water hose
Brass pressure reducer
and a good set of chocks
I've gone threw the sales game with cars, trucks, and motorcycles more times than I'd like to admit, but this is my first experience with trailers.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Big Horn auto: 20% tint, Line-x, etc..
2013 Springdale 303bhssr

fickman
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that you're always paying for it, but there is a point where - even after a week or two - they won't drop another dollar, but they may add options to close the deal.

Here's a recent thread from my brother. . . he saved a lot of money and got a few significant extras, including the four-point Equal-i-zer hitch system.
Rv.net LINK
DW, DD (2007), DS (2008), DD (2010), DD (2011), and me

2010 Chevrolet Express 3500 LT
6.0 liter V8 SWB 12-passenger van

2008 Fleetwood Utah Popup Camper

therink
Explorer
Explorer
For me, all that was important for me was telling dealer what I would pay and buying for that price (I did my homework). Also told dealer what I needed for trade (did my homework here too. Once dealer agreed to my fair pricing for new rig and trade, I then told dealer to replace the 4 Chinese bombs for a set of American made LTS for $800 (fair price). It is my opinion that the best way to net a good deal is to do homework, establish reasonable offer and stuck with it. It is best not to muddy up the. e waters as there are no "freebies" if the purchase price is low or fair.
If accessories are needed in the end, they can be tacked on at usually a discounted cost, or bought online for even cheaper.
This is based on my own experience (I am on my 6th rv). I learned after I got hosed the first time.
Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Those items were paid for in the price of your trailer. RV dealers do not GIVE away anything. Often it's easier to negotiate by "throwing" in merchandise because the dealer gets it as deep discounts and the buyer sees it as retail value but believe me you DID pay for all you got.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population