cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Do You do?

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving tomorrow driving from South Florida to Michigan. We're prepped and ready to go and were wondering what others do.

We travel with our water tank full because we like to eat and use our own facilities at gas stops and rest areas.

We travel with a full pantry, refrigerator, freezer, and a cooler in the van.

We both drive switching whenever we feel like it.

We have thoughts but not definite plans. We hardly ever make reservations or set an alarm and often detour or make unplanned stops to explore local attractions.

We often don't unhitch or "set up" if we're just stopping for the night.

We're curios about how others enjoy the journey.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
33 REPLIES 33

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer
You sound like us when we travel!
'04 F350,6.0 PSD,3.73,5 spd Torqshift,Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,Lund Lunar visor,Firestone Ride Rites,
2016 Nash 23D with Cummins/Onan onboard generator & Sit'n Sleep option

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A few items in the fridge/pantry for a few days but we like to buy local stuff to break the routine a bit.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Fully loaded, FWT and all, because, you never know when the Z apocalypse will happen. That and the FWT balances out the tail heavy by design BH.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I tell people I get 10 mpg because that is what I average on a trip.

I have had days fighting cross winds were I have dropped to 7.5 mpg and I have had days when I get 11.5. My record for one day was 12.7 with an honest to goodness 25 mph sustained tail wind. That will never happen again.

We load the TT for every trip. Food, water typically 2/3 full, extra 5 gallons of gas and what ever gear we think we will need. Weight seems to have less affect that wind, hills and traffic. Most of my trips are 1000 to 1500 miles over two or three weeks, the average mpg is almost always about 10.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
We load up the fridge with all the stuff we have at home to be used up, then stop at a grocery store on the way to get everything else we might need. Easier to just put it straight into the trailer, plus the added benefit of getting what I really want for the trip!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We drive 250 to 300 miles a day, simply because we can. There is no reason to rush and I have proved I can do a marathon drive more times than I care to admit. Now I do not have or care to do it.

I carry all the tool I need to change out a tire and I carry good road side service for real emergencies.

Most of my supplies come from Amazon or eBay but I use CW for parts I need to touch or feel.

We rarely reserve campsites unless we are traveling to certain popular spots. Spring break in AZ comes to mind.

How and what one does depends on their particular circumstance. Coming from a wilderness canoe and tent background there is not much that bothers the DW and I when RVing.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Full freshwater tank, full fridge, and I'll drive about 12 hours a day if I havdd to.
Bizmark, the dog, is a lousy driver so I'm the one behind the wheel.

Water is hard to come by here, especially in the campsites I find appealing. I bought a rig to be self contained, and that's how I use it.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the same but we almost always make reservations ahead of time. In northern CA, most popular parks are jammed full this time of the year. I do all the driving, my wife wouldn't pull the FW 5 feet if her life depended on it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We try to use government(federal) campgrounds then switch to private campgrounds. We also use gravel pits and other out of the way locales. We avoid state facilities that charge extra for out of state travelers.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing you should do is to load that TT up with all you are saying and take it across a set of scales. With all you are carting you may be overloaded. I only carry about 1/3 tank of water or about 15-20 gallons.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Those of y'all who say you don't make reservations, do you stay in private CG? We mostly stay in state parks and it's tough to get a site without planning ahead. Now with saying that we mostly stay in Tn,ga,and al. Which is very crowded.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
We do the same as you, except the co-pilot has minimal driving duties, but helps with navigation. If a full tank of water is an issue to anyone, they have the wrong equipment. We fill with water and drain the waste at any opportunity. We use a small cooler for cold drinks while driving. Reservations, for the most part, are just a series of appointments that I don't want. I think you are doing it right.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have wandered freely for nigh on 60 years without Roadside assistance. Broke the lugs off on a wheel and had to fix it but keeps life interesting. Not even sure what travel assist is. Do they push you down the road? I am a Disabled Vet so can get medical care 24-7 anywhere I want or need. I'd buy something besides Good Sam who sends me junk mail to my AOL address by snail mail. Go figure. They waste millions on advertising every month sending out c r a p. I never read it, but get 1 addressed to me, 1 to my wife and 1 to my aol.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Not unusual to drive 1000 miles a day."

Penman, there's nothing between mile one and mile nine nine nine worth seeing, worth a overnight stop?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad