cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do?

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Well we're getting set for our next trip, about 4000 miles over about 4 weeks. Usually I detail the van and TT and all of our gear inside and out. Start out with it all sparkling! It lasts (at least on the outside) less than a week. This time we're detailing the interiors but just a quick wash on the outside of the TT and Van. No polishing the chrome, no shine on the tires, no waxing out every little smudge and spot, no back to black on the running boards and mud guards, no scrubbing the awning till it's white white.... You get it. What do you do? Do you detail it before you go? When you get back? Both?
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
22 REPLIES 22

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I bought it to use not to clean. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

In the spring I wash it with soap an water followed by a wash and wax. We usually do the interior also.

It usually does not get put away until November sometime January. I used to clean it at the end of the season but it sits in the pine trees all winter and needs to be cleaned in the spring regardless; especially if the mice have decided to stop in for a visit.

I must admit I have not seen any better gas mileage, cheaper gas prices or better camping rates because it was bright and shiny. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quick clean when we get back..
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TexBohunk
Explorer
Explorer
Usually wash the trailer a week prior to leaving and the Truck just before leaving. Always try to keep the inside of my truck clean, so usually just a quick sweep (no carpet) and its ready. Wash both when I get back to get bugs off. Maybe do complete detail once or twice a year when time and mood permits.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I usually work so late the day before we leave on a trip that all I have time to do is vacuum the mud off the vinyl floors and get all my tools out of the back seat of the truck. I may give the outside a spray with the hose if it's really dusty.
When I get home I usually try to wash the camper to get all the bugs off before I put it back in the garage. Sometimes, if we get home late on a Sunday it doesn't get done because I'm tired and have to go to work the next morning.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I wash mine down using wash /wax , especially the front of the TV during love bug
season,if not the darn love bugs will eat the paint off, I also spray the front of the TV with WD 40 during this time which helps a bit
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I do a thorough clean of the inside when I get home. The outside gets washed. Then I get her ready to head out again.

I detail once a year - when I'm putting her away for the winter. That's when cupboards get emptied out and cleaned.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anmacc2 wrote:
Well we're getting set for our next trip, about 4000 miles over about 4 weeks. Usually I detail the van and TT and all of our gear inside and out. Start out with it all sparkling! It lasts (at least on the outside) less than a week. This time we're detailing the interiors but just a quick wash on the outside of the TT and Van. No polishing the chrome, no shine on the tires, no waxing out every little smudge and spot, no back to black on the running boards and mud guards, no scrubbing the awning till it's white white.... You get it. What do you do? Do you detail it before you go? When you get back? Both?

I really don't understand why folks beat themselves silly "detailing" their vehicles and trailers to death.

A simple and quick wash and I am done, no waxing, no polishing, no clay bars, no endless hrs of fruitless effort spent, nothing.

Why?

Well, simply put within a couple miles of driving the windshield and all front facing surfaces will have bunches of bug splats, road dust, pollen will quickly take up that clean surface and hide it.. One rain and all of your hard work is down the drain.

Sure, it is nice to look at a clean rig, but really it is only clean for a couple of minutes and depending on how bad the pollens are, seconds after you rinse it.

Free yourself of a useless ritual, just a quick wash and go camp..

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Ran into a locust swarm in Texas about 1/4 of our trip gone. We looked like a killing zone until we got home. But today, I washed the truck and the camper. Tomorrow we travel about 60 miles to our site with friends for four days.

So, a little of both.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel