cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What gas octane???

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Users of the big gassers: Dodge 6.4, GM 6.0, Ford 6.4....... Can the lower octane be used or do you need the higher octanes????? Colorado we have either 85, 87, or I think 91..
jimbow
46 REPLIES 46

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyemunson wrote:
All RV engines do just fine on low octane gas. Anti knock sensor are installed to minimize detonation when the engine is heating up from heavy use.

What do you mean by just fine and do you have references?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Octane requirement is determined by the engine's compression ratio. Higher octane gas resists 'knocking' better in higher compression engines (the higher compression, the more energy you get out of the gasoline when you burn it). Truck engines are notoriously low compression to avoid 'knocking' (too-fast combustion that has the combustion chamber flame-front striking the piston face before it has begun it's downward travel making the distinctive noise) when pulling a heavy load. Higher octane gas contains no more 'power' than lower octane and only helps when you have an engine with higher compression to match (which can be achieved by adding turbo or supercharging). All RV engines do just fine on low octane gas. Anti knock sensor are installed to minimize detonation when the engine is heating up from heavy use.

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting::: still thinking of going from 7.3 diesel to gasser (perhaps ram 6.4.... thanks for replies..
jimbow

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pastorbillv wrote:
Basically, they get what's leftover after the refinery puts out its trucks for the day.

Pastor or not, you just don't understand how gasoline distribution works in most of the US.

The gas ALL comes out of the same tanks at the end of the pipeline.

Some brands add extra additives and some don't......but there are no "left overs".
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
Use what the manufacturer recommends.

X2.
Some will tell you to use the cheap stuff but the effects of doing so will add up.

Add up to what exactly ? A significant savings on gas over time ??

Your X2 doesn't quite match the next comment......as I suspect most WILL say to "use the cheap stuff".
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
At altitude, you can safely substitute 85 octane fuel if your engine is designed for 87 at sea level, unless of course you're running a supercharger, turbo charger, or have an exotic variable compression engine of some sort. Less dense air on input results in lower absolute pressure in cylinder and hence, lower octane requirement as you won't reach detonation pressure in a fixed compression cylinder chamber. Keep in mind the result most noticeable to the driver will be a loss of approximately 3 percent of power for every 1000 feet of elevation gain on a modern engine that compensates as much as possible to the change. Power loss on an older manual carburetor type engine is even more unless you get out periodically adjust the carburetor for optimal air fuel mix.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
Targa wrote:
jimbow2 wrote:
Users of the big gassers: Dodge 6.4, GM 6.0, Ford 6.4....... Can the lower octane be used or do you need the higher octanes????? Colorado we have either 85, 87, or I think 91..

Word on the street is that due to our altitude in Colorado 85 octane is equivalent to 87.

Last year 80% of the gas sold in Colorado was 85 octane and only 9% was the mid grade 87. I've been driving here at altitude for almost 50 years with assorted vehicles and have never had any issues using the 85 octane. Now if Costco sold the 87 octane (only 85 and 91) I might be convinced to switch.

http://www.denverpost.com/2006/10/16/some-knock-states-lower-octane-levels/
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
jimbow2 wrote:

Word on the street is that do to our altitude in Colorado 85 octane is equivalent to 87.
As for me? I stick with manufacturer recommendation to keep it simple.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My manual says 87. I use 87 or the next higher when available. I would only use 85 if that was all there was.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suppose it depends on your purpose. I've played around some with tuning of my Mustang that has custom tunes. 91 tune is more powerful, but I don't get much of a mpg payoff. So, I generally run the 87 tune.

I agree that the minimum should be what the mfg recommends, but add that if you can buy gasoline outside of the large cities with less ethanol you'll be better off as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
Use what the manufacturer recommends.

X2.
Some will tell you to use the cheap stuff but the effects of doing so will add up.

X3, If you rig is OEM why ask for opinions when the manual tells you the MFG recommendations.

BTW 6.x engines are not large. They are low end of the v8's
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Ram 6.4 runs fine on 87 octane which is what is recommended by Ram.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

pastorbillv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the above comments, especially the cheap gas problem. Around here, the independent brands don't have their own refinery/distribution system so buy their gas from others. Basically, they get what's leftover after the refinery puts out its trucks for the day. So, I stick to major brands.

When I was a super-bike racer and rode my bikes between races, I learned from others which brands were the best. Back in 80s, Union76 and Texaco were best, Chevron was 2nd best (of what was available to me here). So, you might Google gas quality and see what you learn. Of course, on the road, you often have no choice! ๐Ÿ™‚

Bill
2004 Bigfoot 29G (Love the garage!)
2017 Northern-Lite 10'2" SE on F-350 (CC, Dually, 4WD, Boss)

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you drive on steep grades, putting higher octane will make the engine working better.
Modern engines have anti-ping sensors, so they will adjust for lower octane if you use it, but lowering the performance will make for gear downshifting and in the result - higher fuel consumption.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have found that in the MH I must push hard on the throttle using the 85 octane. We stay with the 87 octane. We get a little better mileage with 87 over the 85 octane.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker