cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What good is a 56 f100.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I came across an opportunity to buy an all original 1956 f100. The present owner has owned the truck since 1957. It has seldom been stored outside and still runs very well. It was used as a farm truck during it's early years and has never had any body work done to it... so it's got a few minor bumps and bruises. If I put money into it I'll want independent front and rear suspension, AC, 300 or so ponies under the hood... I'll want to do things right. In a way it seems a shame to hot rod an all original truck. I really don't know much about the cost of taking on a project like this but my guess is that if I hire out the work I'll end up dumping 70k into this truck by the time I'm done. Anybody with some knowledge on the subject want to share some pointers?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
46 REPLIES 46

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Another for original. Its only a survivor once.
Refurbed a tired 66 F100 and then used it for years in stock form. Big block got 13 mpg consistently.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Very nice truck Eddie

Very nice doesn't do that beauty justice; it's stunning!

I don't think I've ever seen one done up that nice and tasteful; I love the color too! :C

My 37 5 window Chevy coupe's rootbeer color might be a little darker. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
It’s only original once. You can’t build it.

Leave it alone. Mechanical work only and even then I personally wouldn’t add disc brakes or anything else.

It’s a survivor. You would be turning a silk purse into another pig with lipstick.

If you want a cool hot rod custom car find something rough.

Original is the new cool.

I agree completely. I watched the Barrett Jackson auction in AZ a couple weeks ago. The vehicles that were left mostly stock with improved drivetrain brought good money with less put into them. If you were going to keep it, I would make it comfortable to drive. Update the interior with current features, a fuel injected 4.6 and tranny, brakes and suspension and leave the exterior very stock if not original.

I will tell a short but somewhat related story. I had an 84 Chevy K-30 SRW with a 6.2L. I put 225K on it and I sold it, loved that truck. I have long considered getting another one (very hard to find) and putting a Dmax in it and an Allison. I found a 454 K-30 for $2K. Perfect vehicle for what I wanted. I drove it 50 miles and brought it back and walked away. It felt like I was driving a grain truck. Never have given it a second thought since then. The idea was more powerful than the reality of it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Very nice truck Eddie

Very nice doesn't do that beauty justice; it's stunning!

I don't think I've ever seen one done up that nice and tasteful; I love the color too! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Fish.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very nice truck Eddie
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
What good is a 56 f100
Pulling a 1950s travel trailer 😉

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would do the suspension and brakes first to get it up to 1970’s standards which are far better than mid fifties. Then work on the driveline. Figure out a motor and trans. If you want something with good suspension and easy maint get a crown Vic front subframe. This will get you everything you need and allow you to bolt in a newer SOHC 4.6 or 5.4. There have actually been a few that have taken a crown Vic chassis, shortened it and put the F100 body on it with custom mounts. It looked like a vintage Ford pickup on the outside but had a modern chassis underneath.

Here is just one video on it. If you search you’ll find some very in depth videos on what is needed!

F100/panther build.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
double post. sorry
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
Nice job. Is that whole front hood fiberglass? I've seen some that have just the hood tip forward while leaving the fenders in place. Yours gives much better access to the engine. What work did you do yourself?
Thanks,Yes the whole hood is glass. I cut it in four sections to get the correct fit then molded in the back side. I did the truck myself except the interior. See my sig. It was my Grandfathers hog farm truck he bought in 1956. I was going to build a shop truck and got a little carried away.
The hoods you see that flip back use a kit designed from a BMW hood.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice job. Is that whole front hood fiberglass? I've seen some that have just the hood tip forward while leaving the fenders in place. Yours gives much better access to the engine. What work did you do yourself?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you want to know?
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I came across an opportunity to buy an all original 1956 f100. The present owner has owned the truck since 1957. It has seldom been stored outside and still runs very well. It was used as a farm truck during it's early years and has never had any body work done to it... so it's got a few minor bumps and bruises. If I put money into it I'll want independent front and rear suspension, AC, 300 or so ponies under the hood... I'll want to do things right. In a way it seems a shame to hot rod an all original truck. I really don't know much about the cost of taking on a project like this but my guess is that if I hire out the work I'll end up dumping 70k into this truck by the time I'm done. Anybody with some knowledge on the subject want to share some pointers?

Put it in the corner of your building and think about it for those few years. If you decide to resell it later before attacking the project, you will most likely get a better return on investment than the stock market.

People take on these projects for the love of the project and enjoying the end game of showing and driving it. If deep down you do not have that driving force, then take a pass.
Ya - you can save up money for all that lipstick your going to need for it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love oold trucks, that one is a classic. I like customs as much as anybody but would hate to see one that is complete and straight chopped up, plenty of derelicts in farmer's fields for that. Yes, it's underpowered and steers like a tractor but that is part of the charm.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
George 3037 made some very good points and has a great looking car himself. Not being into buying/restoring older cars & trucks, but definitely love looking at them when done. Should you buy it and not sure who to contact about doing what you want to do, I'd suggest contacting someone from the Syracuse Nationals Car Show that's held each summer here in Syracuse, NY. Think their website is: Syracusenationals.com. I could be wrong, but hope George 3037 can correct me, I think this show attracts hot rod cars from all over the country incl Canada. Upwards of several thousand cars/trucks and 75,000 people attend. So my thinking is that if OP goes to the website, they can point him in right direction.

ACZL is correct about the site. I think if the OP does buy the truck and is interested in having some updates done the best thing to do is wait till spring when the car shows start up in his area and attend a few shows. Most classic car owners are very willing to help and provide info and garages that can do the work for him.

This years nationals are July 21-23. Between 8-9,000 cars will be there and over 90,000 people attend. The OP should think twice whether he wants to invest the money to convert the truck or just buy one already done. A $2K offer is a fair price for a running truck of that vintage but I've seen a lot of classics in that condition where the owners think they are worth a fortune.