cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when batteries are low in charge?

mkletka
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive my ignorance. Trying to diagnose a problem. My outlets work fine when hooked up to shore power. Not when I switch to battery power. Same when I have the generator running. Is there a switch that needs to be moved when I am on generator or battery power? I have two knobs under the kitchen sink. They say "in", "on" above the switches and below the knows it says "out", "off". I'm assuming that this disconnects the batteries. When disconnected from shore power the level lights show my batteries only have half a charge. One battery is prob 5 years old and the other is unknown age.

Reading the info on the breaker panel it seems that the DC equipment works on battery power and the outlets must have converted power from the battery to work. If the batteries are not holding a full charge would that cause the outlets to be without power but the lights still work?

The air conditioner works on shore power but not when the generator is on. It's a 2.5 kw generator.

Could I hook my truck batteries up to my camper batteries to see if that makes a difference? I'm thinking disconnect the batteries in the camper and use my jumper cables to connect to the battery cables in the camper.

Any ideas would be welcome.
10 REPLIES 10

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get the best batteries if you don't have the best charger. Most camper chargers used to boil the batteries into being the same as a 5 year old battery in no time flat. Or should say they get boiled into oblivion.

So watch your charger, find out if it is a good one first.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
And MARK battery cables......POS and NEG PLUS battery to battery Pos/pos & neg/neg

Mark them with different colored paint or tape so you know which goes where

If cables are different colors then just mark which is which

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
New batteries--------------yes buy matching batteries.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries need to be the same age and from the same manufacture for best performance. Don't know where you came up with those numbers as they aren't group size numbers. Group 24 are about 85 Ah, the next size larger is group 27 at 95 to 105 Ah as typical 12 volt batteries in campers. Then there are GC-2's or golf cart batteries which are 6 volt. Properly cared for true deep cycle batteries can easily last 8 to 10 years.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

mkletka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. I think that I have it figured out. I do believe that I need new batteries. There is enough of a charge to start the generator and run the fridge but don't know for how long. I did discover a toggle switch near the bottom of the generator. It's says 25 amp breaker. When I flipped the switch the generator switched the power over to the camper. The AC works and all the outlets also work while running on the generator only and disconnected from shore power. I've never tried to run this camper only on the generator. It's a 1998 Alpenlite and the generator only has 10 hours on it. I would have never found the switch on the generator as it's down low and in the dark and is also dark in color.

One question on the batteries. They is currently a group 95 and a 92 installed. Should they both be the same size? Best to install the same size and as large a size that will physically fit in the space?

I really enjoy solving these problems with all the input from all the experts.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have TWO (2) electrical systems in your camper.

ONE is the 120V AC System......
Air Conditioner, Microwave, Fridge 'electric heat element', water heater 'electric heat element' and those OUTLETS work off 120V AC Power
Power comes from Shore Power when you plug your cord into power pedestal OR from generator.
Generator power gets to the AC Power Panel where the circuit breakers are either via a 'transfer switch' OR by plugging shore power cord into GEN OUTLET.

Other electrical.....12V DC System
Water pump, fridge controls/propane, water heater controls/propane, lighting.
Camper batteries supply the 12V DC SYSTEM when you no NOT have 120V AC power.
120V AC Power supplies CONVERTER which will power the 12V DC System and charge batteries in camper when you have AC Power/Generator

Truck can charge camper batteries via camper to truck cord when truck is being driven (provided you have truck 'tow/trailer' relay/fuses and 6 or 7 pin cord.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I see a few potential problems here. First of all the little lights on your battery meter are pretty much worthless for anything other than a very vague generalization of the health of your battery. For anything remotely specific you need an actual volt meter.
You apparently have mismatched batteries hooked in parallel. If one is 5 years and you don't know the other one I must assume it is likely even older. They both likely are near or at the end of their life.
The outlets in most campers, particularly truck campers will not work on battery power. To do this would require an inverter, something just about no TC comes with. They are usually only factory installed in high end class A motorhomes.
All of your AC outlets and appliances should work from your generator. I would think that most campers would have an automatic transfer switch. Yours may not be working. Alternatively there may be an outlet in a compartment near the generator that you have to plug your shore power cord into to get generator power. This is a common arrangement on Class C motorhomes. Assuming you have an automatic transfer switch it likely has a bit of a delay before connecting to the generator, possibly as much as 30 seconds. You might not be waiting long enough.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a typical 30A Wiring COnfiguration...

Note the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel runs from both the 120VAC Converter and 12VDC Battery..

The 120VAC Power Distribution Panel run from eother SHore Power or your Generator...

A Power Inverter is an optional device that you install running from your LARGER battery bank to produce 120VAC to run those appliances as needed..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Generally speaking, at 5 yrs. it is time to replace the Batt. I would replace both normally but espcially because the age of the second battery is unknown.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outlets need 'inverted' power to work from batteries. If you're not seeing outlet power from a generator, that means there's a transfer switch that is likely not working properly. It's usually automatic.

That said, your rig may require you to physically plug your shore power cord into the generator.

It sounds also like your batteries are in need of replacement. 5 years is getting old.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman