cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing From 14" to 15" Tires and Rims

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
In order to add a weight capacity reserve on my tires I am thinking of going from ST205/75r14C to ST205/75r15D. Lots of capacity reserve gained with this change. It seems simple enough; all size specs are the same except diameter is +1" so I will lose 1" between the tandems and 1/2" clearance from top of tires to fender wells. I have the needed clearance. Before I spend all those dollars at Discount Tire Direct for the wheel and tire upgrade I thought I had better check: is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks for any advice and help.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10
15 REPLIES 15

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
In 14", I would also look at this new Carlisle HD
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out etrailer.com. They have wheel/tire combos in your size, but load range D.. That's #2040 max load per tire.

I have 13" tires on my trailer and the OEM tires were only LR B tires... I moved up to D tires in the same size and love the extra capacity, so no real worries..

Yes, they are "Made in China" tires... But, the only flat I've had in 14 years was with the original B rated Goodyear Marathon tires when it was brand new..

Anyway, upping the load range does not raise your sticker ratings, but it does raise the reliability of the tires IMO..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Per Tire Rack specs, a Goodyear Marathon 215/75R 14 has a load rating of 1870 lbs. and a diameter of 26.7" A Kumho 857 205R14C has a load rating of 2271 lbs. and a diameter of 27". That is a 401 lb. difference.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Another option if you have a little space, you can get 215/75 R14. In a Goodyear Marathon it gives you 90# more load carrying per tire. Not much, but a bit more.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and advice. As I started looking at tire sizes and clearance, I ran across an article on etrailer that mentions 3" is minimum clearance at the wheel well and I am at 2.8" with the 14" tires so without a lift, bigger tires are out. I thought the extra half inch was no big deal, but it would just cut too close. I've seen the axle flip method of lift, and while cheap and well within my capabilities, 4 or 5 inches is WAY more lift than I need or want. I did find an affordable alignment kit that raises the trailer two inches (link at bottom)which is the amount of lift I want, but my tires wear evenly now and I hate to mess with an alignment kit. Not sure what to do at this point, but I need tires soon, so I need to make a decision.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-wheel-covers/axle-alignment-kits.htm
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Kuhmo Radial 857

I have a set of the 205's for the last three years and I have been more than happy. Trailer tracks better and less sway from crosswinds.

I didn't have an option to switch to a larger size.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Coffee Grinder wrote:
What is difference between ST & LT

Google: "China bomb tires" and read. Come back next month with a report.

Coffee_Grinder
Explorer
Explorer
What is difference between ST & LT

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Not much left in a 15" LT tires anymore. When all 1/2 ton truck used 15" size wheels we had all size and load ranges of P and LT tires up to a D to choose from. Now 1/2 ton trucks come OEM with 17"/18" and 20" wheels.

Depending on room in the wheel well and proper wheel pressure/wheel width requirements the Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT235/75-15 C (50 psi) at 1980 lb capacity. Most LT tire makers carry this size.

And a Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D (65 psi) at 2090 lbs capacity.

Maxxis LT U-168 are a commercial grade tire with several 15" sizes and have became popular with all types of trailer owners.

Vanco 2 from Continental another popular tire for trailer users has several 15" sizes and load capacities.

I see the Yokohama RY215 in a 700R 15 D at 2040 lbs capacity is popular on some of the other RV websites.

Goodyear Cargo G26 2249 lb capacity in a 225/70R 15 C 65 psi load range D for trucks/vans and trailers.

Do your home work on the numbers.

rbpru brings up a very good point about a trailer unlike the tow vehicle can have too much tire capacity.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Every trailer(rv and non rv trailer) I've ever bought that came with 13"/14" tires I sold them and went with a 15" wheel and LT tires. .

What brand(s) of tires come in 15" LT? We were looking to upgrade ours, but only seem to be able to find 16" LT tires.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
There would be no room in my wheel well for a bigger tire. You can see where the tire rubs the wheel well when the suspension bottoms out with the factory tires.

Double check your clearance. More tire capacity does nothing for your axle rating or the gross TT capacity.

How much over axle capacity is enough?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Every trailer(rv and non rv trailer) I've ever bought that came with 13"/14" tires I sold them and went with a 15" wheel and LT tires.
That move put me away from ST tire issues and a much longer tire life at any speed.
A LT215/75-15 D at 65 psi and a 2095 lb load rating will give you around 20 percent reserve above your OEM tires. Good upgrade if you have the room.
Those taller 15" tires will ride easier over RR tracks/potholes/etc than a smaller 14" diameter tire.

Did the same thing. When you decide on tires, check the recommended rim width before buying wheels. For example, the LT215/75-15 size mentioned above, should have 6" wide wheels.

Love my made in USA Goodyear Wrangler HT's.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Every trailer(rv and non rv trailer) I've ever bought that came with 13"/14" tires I sold them and went with a 15" wheel and LT tires.
That move put me away from ST tire issues and a much longer tire life at any speed.
A LT215/75-15 D at 65 psi and a 2095 lb load rating will give you around 20 percent reserve above your OEM tires. Good upgrade if you have the room.
Those taller 15" tires will ride easier over RR tracks/potholes/etc than a smaller 14" diameter tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Many Trailmanor owners went from 14's to 15's but it required a 2 and 1/2 inch lift kit which was available from the factory. These are mostly single axle trailers.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin