cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

to cover or not to cover

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a KZ TT with a metal roof that gets used every other week from April - November.

We live in middle TN.

My question is; should I buy a cover and cover it in between trips?
I'm concerned about the sun beating down on the camper all day. KZ says the camper is made to withstand the elements.

Seems covers like Adco would be a pain in neck to put on and take off.Also we live on a hill where it fets pretty windy at times, so I'm concerned about damage from the cover due to wind.

What do you folks do, cover no cover?? An RV port isn't an option right now.
27 REPLIES 27

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
For previous posts on this popular subject search this Forum for `rv cover' then search the results for `sunshield' which is what we use when not camping.

Is this the tarp youre referring to?: http://www.coversuperstore.com/Sunshield-Silver-Black-Poly-Tarps/

4Kellys
Explorer
Explorer
I'd cover for sure. We just bought a new TT in April and after the factory replaces the front cap due to fading, build date 4/15, we will be covering it. It may take time to put on and off but worth it imho!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cover mine for the "winter", which for me is around Oct-May..

Between May-Oct, I use it about once a month and don't cover it.

My trailer is parked under trees, so a cover is a no brainer for me.

Here is my old ADCO cover that's just been retired this weekend.. Gonna have to get a new one before the end of the season! It lasted a solid 12 years and was about 10 years old in this pic.

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I tend to agree, no cover. Is it on a seasonal site or at home?

As long as you reseal the roof every season I think you should be fine no cover. Maybe cover during the off season but that's it.

Cobra its at home..., when you "reseal the roof every season" are you talking about the chaulk around the antena, vents, ect. Its a metal roof on the TT

Yes. Even as a metal roof, every seam, vent, etc needs to be resealed. Pretty much any hole in the roof.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
I googled "sunshield tarps" they're poly tarps. I thought it wasn't good to cover your camper with a poly tarp.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick B......Thanks i'll google sunshield tarp

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
93Cobra2771 wrote:
I tend to agree, no cover. Is it on a seasonal site or at home?

As long as you reseal the roof every season I think you should be fine no cover. Maybe cover during the off season but that's it.

Cobra its at home..., when you "reseal the roof every season" are you talking about the chaulk around the antena, vents, ect. Its a metal roof on the TT

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
tnrv'er wrote:
We have a KZ TT with a metal roof that gets used every other week from April - November.

Curious as to which year / model of KZ you have as KZ for years used a TPO roof membrane, still does AFAIK.

Soundguy, its a 2016 17 RBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fact of the matter is that I cover. I mentioned the method of cover. I am deeply apologetic that the description of the cover caused your panties to get in a bunch. I will consider getting your permission before I post ever again...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Metal carport you can drive under

SoundGuy wrote:
Did you not read what the OP wrote? :R

"What do you folks do, cover no cover?? An RV port isn't an option right now."

spoon059 wrote:
I did read it... did you?

Here it is again "What do you folks do?".

I park under a metal carport.

You know as well as I and everyone else who read the OP's original post that he is asking about how those of us who do use a cover approach this issue - always cover, even during the camping season, or not, and what are the implications? He made it clear he's not asking about a "carport", for as he put it in his original post that "isn't an option right now". The fact you're able to park your rig under a metal carport is great for you but irrelevant to this discussion. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Metal carport you can drive under

Did you not read what the OP wrote? :R

"What do you folks do, cover no cover?? An RV port isn't an option right now."

I did read it... did you?

Here it is again "What do you folks do?".

I park under a metal carport.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
I have a free cover to give away if anybody wants it.

SoundGuy wrote:
Kind offer but not too useful without including the size of the cover. :W

Sam Spade wrote:
It is for a medium size 5er. It fit my 28 foot C with a couple of feet left over so my guess is it was made for a 30-35 foot 5th wheel.

The key for anyone interested in buying a cover is to measure the rig's body at it's longest dimension and select a cover that best meets that measurement. Usually covers are sized every couple of feet - i.e. 18' 1" to 20', 20'1" to 22', etc, etc, with different versions made specifically for TTs, toy haulers, 5ths, MHs, etc.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have a metal roof with a coating of acrylic white roof paint. I don't use a cover and all is well with the trailer stored without. My trailer is 45 yrs old if that is any indication.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
I have a free cover to give away if anybody wants it.

Kind offer but not too useful without including the size of the cover. :W

It is for a medium size 5er. It fit my 28 foot C with a couple of feet left over so my guess is it was made for a 30-35 foot 5th wheel.

Since it is free that's the best I can do. I don't intend to wrestle the darn thing in and out of the storage sack again just to measure.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"