cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What PU to Buy

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
What PU to buy for a 30ft TT? Any suggestions? We just sold our Class C and want/need a PU. So combining the need for a PU and an RV, we have decided that a PU/TT would work for us. What engine for every day driving and handling a 30ft TT? Thanks for any help.
34 REPLIES 34

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my 28'TT with the standard Chevy half-ton, and I wouldn't go any longer or heavier.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I remember correctly, weren't they bailed out but paid it back?

Ford asked to be included in the bail-out but ultimately did not receive any government funds. See excerpt below - full article here --> Government Bailout of US Auto Industry

Ford's Bailout Proposal

Ford requested a $9 billion line-of-credit from the government, and a $5 billion loan from the Energy Department. It pledged to accelerate development of both hybrid and battery-powered vehicles, retool plants to increase production of smaller cars, close dealerships, and sell Volvo. Ford is in better shape than the other two because it had already mortgaged its assets in 2006 to raise $24.5 billion. Although Ford didn't need, and didn't receive any funds, it also didn't want its competition to get the upper hand thanks to the government bailout.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Ford didn't need to be bailed out by the government. Something I consider when shopping.

My 2010 f150 4x4 5.4 tows my 31' camper very well with 700 pounds of motorcycles in the bed.

If I remember correctly, weren't they bailed out but paid it back?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I will put my .02 in for HD pickup. The limits are so much higher. Braking is better. Frame and suspension stouter. I bought a 2011 2500 hd Chevy gasser with the intention of pulling a tt. I ended up getting another tc. My commute is long, so i drive my Subaru. My wife only has a 20 mile round trip. She enjoys the truck and we are getting 16 - 17 mpg with the 6.0 l gas engine. I can't complain. Now when i buy a tt, i can still pull a reasonably sized rig. All this in the Rocky mtns. We are on a trip now with truck camper and pulled three 11,000 ft. + passes at 11.5 mpg. I don't know about anyone else, but it works for me!
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

DarbyWalters
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my 2015 Jayco White Hawk 29REKS with a 2012 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4 Ecoboost with no issues. Any bigger (heavier) TT and I would be going over a bit...

Trailer Specs http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2015-white-hawk/29reks/

That all being said...the price for a Reg Cab or Supercab (instead of the larger SupoerCrew) in a F250 or other brand would be comparable in price I would imagine.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Ford didn't need to be bailed out by the government. Something I consider when shopping.

My 2010 f150 4x4 5.4 tows my 31' camper very well with 700 pounds of motorcycles in the bed.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 or one ton diesel is my recommendation.

I tow a 28.5' TT with a clean used 2004 Ram 3/4 ton diesel I bought. It is a very comfortable tow for the TV, and I have headroom so if I want to go with a larger TT or a fifth wheel, I can. I have towed with gassers, and I'm very glad I didn't go with a gasser this time.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I pull my 23 foot Funfinder (4000 pounds) with a F250. Buy bigger then you need

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
johnnyrv wrote:
Toyota Tundra V8 with towing package.

Remember the Colorado has a V8 also.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Toyota Tundra V8 with towing package.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 30 foot TT might weigh something just over 6000 pounds to in excess of 12,000 pounds. What pickup is going to depend on your choice of trailer.

Engines are not really the issue. Pickups rated for 1200 pounds load and 5000 towing might share engines with pickups carrying and towing twice as much; by the time it gets up to three-four times that, the engines are usually unique to the heavier trucks.

The big factor in what you can tow is not power, it is what thre frame, springs, axles, wheels and tires can carry, and what loads the steering gear can handle. The weight of a trailer on your bumper is a heavy load for a light truck, particularly getting up to 30 feet.

My own choice, for a trailer up to about 6000 pounds, is a 1-ton single rear wheel truck with 3000 pounds load capacity. It has the same engine as the 1/2 ton with 1500 load capacity. If I wanted to tow 9000-10,000 pounds I would need a different engine, and maybe a dual rear wheel version of the truck.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
For your size trailer I would suggest you go with a 3/4 ton truck. Today's trucks can tell how much weight is being towed and if you exceed the truck's tow rating you will void your warranty.
I have a RAM 1500 Eco Diesel with a 31.5 foot travel trailer that weights 6,185 dry. Loaded the trailer weights about 7,800 pounds putting me very close to the max tow limit of 8,500 pounds. I know about the tow weight code because it shows up once when the dealer took reading to find an electrical problem on my truck.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Chevy, Duramax 420 HP, Allison 6 speed, 2004 Arctic Fox 31W, weigh 18500 loaded. 10.9 MPG towing to CO and back to VA at 67 MPH
I hear people brag all the time about their fuel mileage but no one will prove it or hook on my trailer for that 17-20 MPG they brag about. I get 17 empty.

OntarioRay
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 33' trailer that weighs 6,300 lbs. dry with a tongue weight of 750 lbs. We pull that with a 2013 F150 Supercrew that has the trailer tow package and the 6.2 litre V8 (sorry, I'm from Canada and I'd like to know the cubic inch equivalent as well)and according to Ford is rated to pull 11,500 lbs.
It pulls the trailer very nicely. It has plenty of power and usually my biggest problem is trying to keep my speed down to 60 mph. I do find that the gas mileage really suffers when I go over 60 but I had the same problem with trucks and trailers that we had previously.
As a rule I like to have at least 25% more towing capacity than I need.

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have the PU or the TT yet. From the post above, I guess we don't want to go to a 3/4 ton. So with a smaller TT that a 1/2 ton PU can handle, what PU and engine would be recommended?