cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the fascination with trailer bearings?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
So I've seen many, many posts over the years about checking hubs with IR guns for excessive heat. I've even seen posts where people check their hubs every stop. :E

My question is why? I have never seen posts where they talk about checking their TV wheel hubs at every stop even though "most" use the exact same bearing type. (packable bearing) It's always the trailer for some reason. I've never seen anybody check their hubs on their trucks after driving around for a few hours. :h

I've owned over a dozen trailers in my life and have never had bearing problems. Ever. I check my bearings about every 7 to 10 years and have never found anything wrong with them. (Brakes are a different story and that is why I even check them that often)

I get checking often with boat trailer bearings. Especially boat trailers that go in salt water. Makes total sense that they can get contaminated with water and salt and they need to be checked often.

But TT bearings? It's a sealed system that see's no contamination. At least under normal conditions. Unless a seal is damaged the grease stays in there and works just fine year after year after year.

I guess it IR gun makers in business and that's a good thing in this economy I guess. 🙂
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
92 REPLIES 92

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmcdar wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
Dodger, I guess I am totally missing what you are trying to say.

Check bearings, don't check bearings - neither is the right thing to do?

What is the message you are imparting?

I think if you read my first post it might be clearer: but I will summarize; as I said previously, NO one has a definitive answer. The recommended service intervals are based on a worst case scenario of extreme duty because the Axle MFG does not know what the axles will be used for. And my conclusion from my first post: It's common sense to have a maint. schedule of some interval. But no one can give you the right or wrong answer about what that interval is.

THAT is NOT an answer.

There are millions of Americans out there on the road driving/towing/etc. that have no mechanical (common sense) at all.

To say something should be done but no one knows when is BS. If it SHOULD be done then some time frame should be suggested.

There are millions of 'new' camper/RV owners out there that are trying to be responsible. Who care about the safety of their families and others on the road. THEY need to have some guidelines of which to follow.

You take issue with the manufacturers recommendations YET will not suggest a 'more appropriate' time frame (your opinion).

Again, how often is often enough?

Just like the manufacturer I have no idea how the axle is being used on any ones trailer. Is it driven mostly on dirt roads? Does it log 100k miles per year? is it heavily loaded? or does it go 100 miles twice a year and then stored? Therefore any truly thinking person could not under any circumstances give any kind of MEANINGFUL answer to that question. This is precisely why the MFG uses a worst case scenario maint. schedule.

Also I take NO issue with the MFG recommendation, the company is doing what is in it's best interest. But I do understand how they arrive at it.

And unlike some on this forum I do not think it's my job to tell the RV owners of the world what they should or should not do with their bearings. I do however think it valuable to get a more balanced view and that is what I try to give.

I am sorry I am not living up to your expectations of being hard-line, dogmatic absolutist about this issue.

As for me and my bearings? When I bought my trailer I had the dealer pull all the wheels so I could inspect the bearings myself. They were all in great shape and fully and properly greased. I have not worried about them since and will probably not inspect them again for about 20k miles. So you see I do inspect mine, but I do it based on MY USAGE of the trailer and my life long experience with Vehicles.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a slow day on the farm. Not enough mountains I guess.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
It's funny that it seems irritating to some that several folks are fastidious about maintenance and safety.

Why should this bother anyone? It should bother people that there are many out there that are willfully ignorant of even the most basic safety recommendations and regulations.

In other words, if I repack my bearings every year - why should this matter to you?

LOL, if you talking to me I'm not irritated at all. I really don't care if you pack your bearings every night at the campground. I just find it fascinating that when I ask people if they do the same with their TV I get a blank gaze with an open mouth.

The question for you is: You say you pack your trailer bearings every year because it has to do with "fastidious maintenance and safety". Do you repack your TV bearings every year too?

I have asked you, if you do not agree with manufacturer's recommendations, how often do YOU think it should be done? Ever? Never?

...waiting for reply...

Actually you didn't. You're confused. It was Dog you asked, and he answered you.

But since you seem to want to know from me, I will tell you.
As several posters have already said, axel makers have no idea what their axles are going to be put on. Couple that with the fact that you can be sued for making a hair dryer and not having a label on it that states: "DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IN THE SHOWER."

I do all my own work. I check my trailer bearings and brakes about every 7 to 10 years. When I say check, I mean just that, check, not pack. I put about 4 to 5K on my trailer/ year.

It goes something like this: It's been 7 years since I have checked my bearings, time to check them. I pop a hub cap off and take the nut off and pull the drum. I look over the brakes and also the bearings. In 28 years I have owned the same trailer I have NEVER seen anything wrong with the bearings. They have OEM bearings in it. In fact, they pretty much look the same as when I packed them. No rust, grease where is should be, the proper amount of grease, seals look good..........good to go.

The brakes on the other hand have wear on them. Not so much the shoes, but the other hardware. Especially the magnets. They are the biggest wear item by far. This is the main reason I pull the drums that often. Because of the wear on the brake hardware.

As far as when should "you" look at your bearings? I have no idea? I don't know how you use your trailer? I suggest if you used your trailer like these guys do, you check them every trip; and ALSO your TV bearings! You should know what your bearing look like if you check them every year. What do they look like when you check them? Or do you do your own work?

Like I said, it's a sealed system. If the seals are in good shape it won't allow contamination in and grease out so the bearings remain in good shape.

Oh, and to people that say they are not the same bearings, load, bla, bla bla. Not true. TV's can have cartridge bearings or packable bearings in them. Trailers can have packable bearings or cartridge bearings in them. (right Dog :B )They are both designed for weight and load for what they are used for. If anybody thinks that a trailer sees more side load think about this: A truck going into a turn at 40 or 50 MPH. Think of the side load at that speed. It's enormous!!! Like I said, it's a red herring anyway. I have yet to see a bearing fail do to side loading and I have seen a bunch. Besides, the fact that they both are designed for load and stress they are put through.

As far as the Lippert schedule: Is this the same company that built these great frames? :B I think I will stay away from this companies recommendation as far as I can! A few people on this forum have junk trailers because of this companies gross incompetence.

cmcdar I now have answered your question but you didn't answer mine: Do you pack or check you wheel bearings on your TV every year? Also, do you do your own work or do you rely on others for that?

Man, when this thread started out, I felt it was borderline trolling, now I'm sure it's full blown trolling.

T&P, I'm really not sure why you're so concerned when people maintain their trailer bearings. If you feel they're wasting their time, what do you care? Does this create a disturbance in the force that somehow effects you?

But, to answer some of your questions from my perspective:

No, I don't pack the bearings in my tv. In fact, I've not had a vehicle with pack able bearings in any of my cars since the 70's. They've all been either FWD or 4WD. I believe most of the vehicles with packable bearings are RWD 2WD. I could be wrong, so don't slam me, just my observation based on the vehicles I've owned. Yes, I do pack the bearings on my trailer every year. I guess that disturbs you, but oh well. Maybe I'll bring my IR with me the next time I travel and really get your head spinning!

You're wrong regarding the lateral forces on bearings on a TANDEM trailer v a car or truck. If you've ever seen a trailer making a tight turn, one tire is scrubbing one way, the other is scrubbing the other way. This, by the way, is one argument for having ST tires on a trailer with tandem axles. The STs don't provide the same traction as a LT tire, allowing it to slide sideways better, putting less strain in the bearings, axles, etc.

Hate to break this to you, but what you're doing is not a proper bearing inspection. Do you even remove the inner bearing? How do you possible inspect the bearing without cleaning it off?

Your posts are inconsistent. In an earlier post you stated you've packed the bearings maybe three times on a 29 yo trailer. Then you say you don't pack them every 7-10 years, you just do is magical inspection. Which is it?

While I agree my annual cleaning, inspection and packing may be a little over the top, it hardly takes any time, is very inexpensive for me to do, and I'm practically guaranteed a trouble free camping season. I'm certainly not harming my trailer by performing this maintenance.

So my question to you is, why do you care how others maintain their campers? The only reason I'd care would be if I was buying a trailer used. All other things equal, I'd go with the one maintained every year over one that gets this magical inspection every 7-10.

Can we start a new thread entitled "why do people who ignore basic maintenance get upset when others don't?"

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
It's common sense to have a maint. schedule of some interval. But no one can give you the right or wrong answer about what that interval is.

The above reply is just BS it is not a valid answer.

If he had just replied, 'I believe they do not need to be checked or repacked for at least 7 to 10 years'. THAT would have been a valid answer.

I guess from the replies it really boils down to us folks who do regular maintenance as being 'people who bought junk trailers'.

:S

Keep on slinging it until you all feel better... :R
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
If you had read anything I wrote, in any of my threads, you would know that I just bought the camper in March. I just recently repacked the bearings.

You have no idea what grease I used yet you use a condescending tone suggesting I buy QUALITY grease...

The real point is that you have decided to come on this forum and deride folks here because they are diligent with maintaining their RVs. What they do has no effect on you, YET you start finding fault.

Perhaps it would be best to just live and let live here. We can all go back to our rvs...

nuf said
I would like to point out that your questions have been answered... You just didn't like the answers.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
If you had read anything I wrote, in any of my threads, you would know that I just bought the camper in March. I just recently repacked the bearings.

You have no idea what grease I used yet you use a condescending tone suggesting I buy QUALITY grease...

The real point is that you have decided to come on this forum and deride folks here because they are diligent with maintaining their RVs. What they do has no effect on you, YET you start finding fault.

Perhaps it would be best to just live and let live here. We can all go back to our rvs...

nuf said

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
All that and you still did not answer if you pack your TV bearings every year like you do your trailer. :R

I've looked at bearings that are older than 30 years and the grease was just fine. The difference in grease on the market is huge.

I suggest you buy a quality grease if you are finding ""dry bearings" in a few years. Either that or you are using incompatible grease types together. This is particularly egregious on easy lube systems. People grab a grease gun off of their tool box and start jamming in who knows what type of grease and the next thing you know they are on the side of the road with dry bearings because of their actions.

More than once I have seen chassis lube in wheel bearings because of these so called easy lube systems. :S

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
It's funny that it seems irritating to some that several folks are fastidious about maintenance and safety.

Why should this bother anyone? It should bother people that there are many out there that are willfully ignorant of even the most basic safety recommendations and regulations.

In other words, if I repack my bearings every year - why should this matter to you?

LOL, if you talking to me I'm not irritated at all. I really don't care if you pack your bearings every night at the campground. I just find it fascinating that when I ask people if they do the same with their TV I get a blank gaze with an open mouth.

The question for you is: You say you pack your trailer bearings every year because it has to do with "fastidious maintenance and safety". Do you repack your TV bearings every year too?

I have asked you, if you do not agree with manufacturer's recommendations, how often do YOU think it should be done? Ever? Never?

...waiting for reply...

Actually you didn't. You're confused. It was Dog you asked, and he answered you.

As several posters have already said, axel makers have no idea what their axles are going to be put on. Couple that with the fact that you can be sued for making a hair dryer and not having a label on it that states: "DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT IN THE SHOWER."

I do all my own work. I check my trailer bearings and brakes about every 7 to 10 years. When I say check, I mean just that, check, not pack. I put about 4 to 5K on my trailer/ year.

It goes something like this: It's been 7 years since I have checked my bearings, time to check them. I pop a hub cap off and take the nut off and pull the drum. I look over the brakes and also the bearings. In 28 years I have owned the same trailer I have NEVER seen anything wrong with the bearings. They have OEM bearings in it. In fact, they pretty much look the same as when I packed them. No rust, grease where is should be, the proper amount of grease, seals look good..........good to go.

The brakes on the other hand have wear on them. Not so much the shoes, but the other hardware. Especially the magnets. They are the biggest wear item by far. This is the main reason I pull the drums that often. Because of the wear on the brake hardware.

As far as when should "you" look at your bearings? I have no idea? I don't know how you use your trailer? I suggest if you used your trailer like these guys do, you check them every trip; and ALSO your TV bearings! You should know what your bearing look like if you check them every year. What do they look like when you check them? Or do you do your own work?

Like I said, it's a sealed system. If the seals are in good shape it won't allow contamination in and grease out so the bearings remain in good shape.

Oh, and to people that say they are not the same bearings, load, bla, bla bla. Not true. TV's can have cartridge bearings or packable bearings in them. Trailers can have packable bearings or cartridge bearings in them. (right Dog :B )They are both designed for weight and load for what they are used for. If anybody thinks that a trailer sees more side load think about this: A truck going into a turn at 40 or 50 MPH. Think of the side load at that speed. It's enormous!!! Like I said, it's a red herring anyway. I have yet to see a bearing fail do to side loading and I have seen a bunch. Besides, the fact that they both are designed for load and stress they are put through.

As far as the Lippert schedule: Is this the same company that built these great frames? :B I think I will stay away from this companies recommendation as far as I can! A few people on this forum have junk trailers because of this companies gross incompetence.

cmcdar I now have answered your question but you didn't answer mine: Do you pack or check you wheel bearings on your TV every year? Also, do you do your own work or do you rely on others for that?

I have posted here several times and even posted pictures of the 'dry' bearings/hubs I found. YES I have checked, repacked my own bearings.
I have previously explained that I have seasonally camped for 17 years However, towing a camper to different locations and maintaining a roadworthy travel trailer is new to me.

I have checked and repacked camper bearings just once since I have only owned my camper since March. I plan to check it at least yearly to begin with.

Now, you certainly are impressive with all of your experience and 'knowledge'. It baffles me, however, that you seem to not be able to comprehend that the general public lacks the very basic level of mechanical inclination to be able to understand what you are even talking about. If you are able to intuitively determine that every seven years is right for you, well wonderful.

If I had not checked the bearings on my 'new to me' camper, I would likely have been in trouble my first time out as there was barely any grease and what was there was all broken down. I am not someone who is neurotic about most maintenance but I sure as hell do not want to be irresponsible either.

New People to camping may have never towed a vehicle. They have no idea that the 'new' tires they bought 5 years ago and only have 100 miles on them, need to be replaced because they have dry rot.

Many people out there on the road towing campers can barely change a lightbulb. Maintenance schedules are guidelines to follow. They are very important to the general public. Without recommendations, most people would NEVER even change their oil (still, many don't).

You have sufficiently dazzled us with your abilities. Please leave some dignity for us regular folks who feel more comfortable going through life with some safety nets.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
cmcdar wrote:

...waiting for reply...

outside the fire"

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
cmcdar wrote:

I think if you read my first post it might be clearer: but I will summarize; as I said previously, NO one has a definitive answer. The recommended service intervals are based on a worst case scenario of extreme duty because the Axle MFG does not know what the axles will be used for. And my conclusion from my first post: It's common sense to have a maint. schedule of some interval. But no one can give you the right or wrong answer about what that interval is.

THAT is NOT an answer.

There are millions of Americans out there on the road driving/towing/etc. that have no mechanical (common sense) at all.

To say something should be done but no one knows when is BS. If it SHOULD be done then some time frame should be suggested.

There are millions of 'new' camper/RV owners out there that are trying to be responsible. Who care about the safety of their families and others on the road. THEY need to have some guidelines of which to follow.

You take issue with the manufacturers recommendations YET will not suggest a 'more appropriate' time frame (your opinion).

Again, how often is often enough?

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
itguy08 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Specifically for those of you that pack your bearings every year, why don't you pack your bearings on your TV every year? (For those that don't have cartridge type bearings)

Take a look at the links I posted. Both Dexter Axle and Lippert (probably account for 90%+ of RV axles) have a service schedule of 12mo/12k for the wheel bearings.

I don't know of any automaker that has any bearing interval in their service manual. Most have went to sealed bearings anyway and you replace that whole assembly when it starts howling.
I have read both manuals extensively... They giv a "blanket" recommendation. Many of their axles end up in other than RVs. Agricultural trailers, boat trailers etc. But the recommendation is the same for all of them. Surely you would agree that a boat trailer that is submerged in fresh and or salt weather needs more frequent service than an RV??
It is apparent that they set the service interval low, so that all users will service the bearings frequently... If they had different recommendations for different types of service, then there would be confusion on the part of the user.
It really makes no sense that a TT bearing needs service much more often than an identical car bearing....
As for thae grease going bad from sitting.... What about the grease in the can in the garage? Or do you buy brand new grease for each repacking?

Years ago, grease wasn't nearly as good as it is today, so it could deteriorate over time... Not so much today.

OK, So the manufacturer is wrong.... how often do YOU recommend?

It's not about the manufacturer being wrong. It's that the MFG of the Axles is using a WORST CASE scenario to base maintenance schedules on BECAUSE there is no way for them to know what kind of trailer any given axle will end up in. Those service schedules are for extreme duty. TT's just are by no definition extreme duty cycle platforms.

SO, again, IF the manufacturers are being overly cautious, WHEN / HOW OFTEN do YOU naysayers believe is "often enough" (If ever) to check or re-pack bearings?

You see, I am starting to believe you guys are just defending the fact that you do not check them (period). You have no better "schedule" to follow. I can only believe that you are saying don't ever even bother - just like with your tow vehicles (which is why I HATE buying used vehicles).

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmcdar wrote:

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmcdar wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
itguy08 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Specifically for those of you that pack your bearings every year, why don't you pack your bearings on your TV every year? (For those that don't have cartridge type bearings)

Take a look at the links I posted. Both Dexter Axle and Lippert (probably account for 90%+ of RV axles) have a service schedule of 12mo/12k for the wheel bearings.

I don't know of any automaker that has any bearing interval in their service manual. Most have went to sealed bearings anyway and you replace that whole assembly when it starts howling.
I have read both manuals extensively... They giv a "blanket" recommendation. Many of their axles end up in other than RVs. Agricultural trailers, boat trailers etc. But the recommendation is the same for all of them. Surely you would agree that a boat trailer that is submerged in fresh and or salt weather needs more frequent service than an RV??
It is apparent that they set the service interval low, so that all users will service the bearings frequently... If they had different recommendations for different types of service, then there would be confusion on the part of the user.
It really makes no sense that a TT bearing needs service much more often than an identical car bearing....
As for thae grease going bad from sitting.... What about the grease in the can in the garage? Or do you buy brand new grease for each repacking?

Years ago, grease wasn't nearly as good as it is today, so it could deteriorate over time... Not so much today.

OK, So the manufacturer is wrong.... how often do YOU recommend?

It's not about the manufacturer being wrong. It's that the MFG of the Axles is using a WORST CASE scenario to base maintenance schedules on BECAUSE there is no way for them to know what kind of trailer any given axle will end up in. Those service schedules are for extreme duty. TT's just are by no definition extreme duty cycle platforms.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Regarding the overall fascination with keeping an eye on the trailer bearings, brakes and tires, vs being more lax in watching tow vehicle parts, I suspect a part of that is many folks experience with overall poor quality control and sloppy assembly of the RV's ( overall ).

By comparison, we're spoiled in general with ours cars and trucks. Much better QC, very reliable tires, etc.
As was posted previously, the vehicle's bearings are not the same as a trailer bearing. It's apples and oranges.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the overall fascination with keeping an eye on the trailer bearings, brakes and tires, vs being more lax in watching tow vehicle parts, I suspect a part of that is many folks experience with overall poor quality control and sloppy assembly of the RV's ( overall ).

By comparison, we're spoiled in general with ours cars and trucks. Much better QC, very reliable tires, etc.