cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the most a 07 Trailblazer 5.3 AWD can tow/stop safely

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
What’s the most a 07 Trailblazer 5.3 AWD can tow/stop safely?

Found this on net
https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/4um...-capacity.html

they say 11,000LB I think this is the combined weight of TB and boat/trailer I’m conservatively at 8K LBs.

1.My friends (these Guys tow w/2500 + series trucks) told me my 3K LB boat/trailer (boat is very tall around 10’ off ground) and the TB isn’t heavy enough to stop safely is this true or false?

Attach image of boat/my tow van (van weights 7100LBs) to be towed minimum of 10 250miles one way so 20 trips on 30% hilly roads 70% flat roads 50% curvy road per year maybe more.

prior to obtaining TB I only considered tow capacity which is twice the weight of my 3K boat, TB rated at 6100LBs TBSS at 400horsepower tow rated at 6800LBs my TB stock is 300HP currently my has 350hp.

never thought that 13”front/rear brake rotors to be a weak point. TB alone has excellent stopping power 110’ at 60MPH.

2.So is the 4650LB TB to light to stop safely w/boat?

3.Additionally they say Cops will be pulling me over because TB is so low an boat is so tall and I will have to prove w/ documents (maybe bookmark in owners manual) the TBs tow capacity?

I usually launch at not to steep/or slippery ramps (there is a paid to launch steep ramp closer to house I use w/ my smaller 15’ V hull) that I’d like to launch big boat from however ramps conditions can change like sand being washed/pressed up ect.

4. So is the 4650LB (TB has wet/dry performance tires) to light for steep, sandy/or slippery ramps pulling both TB and boat into water?

The TB currently has leakie air sag suspension that I plan to swap for convention springs/shocks and if TB sags then add air bags to inside of springs and air up w/ TBs air compresser.

I attempted to upload images from my PC apparently it's not possiable here.

Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You need new friends.

Cops don't care about tow capacity. They will only pull you over if you are committing a moving violation such as speeding, swerving, running red lights, creating an obvious road hazard, etc.. They can't pull you over because you "look too heavy" and the manual has NO bearing on the law.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
3000? You'll be fine. Towing a boat is not like towing a travel trailer. Far less wind resistance. And your weight is less than my old hybrid travel trailer was at 2500#. My old '03 Trailblazer EXT with 4.2 I6 towed it beautifully. Your TB is much more capable than what I had. You may need to turn on 4HI when on the ramp. The only issue I can see is if your trailer does not have brakes but I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Everything you need to know about your towing capacity is listed in your owners manual. Stop reading what you find randomly on the Internet. More often than not it doesn't tell the whole story. If you don't have the manual, download one. Also join GMT Nation. Lots of very knowledgeable folks on there that know the GMT 360/370 platform inside and out.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 5.3 V8 Rainier AWD is rated to 6500 with 3.73 gears. I would not tow that much with it. The TB with V8 is the longer version, right? Still 5 or 6K is a load for it. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
heres my thread w/ images since rvnet doesn't allow images upload
https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/885256-what-s-most-07-trailblazer-5-3-awd-can-tow-stop-safely.html#post10740371

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Here's my 2 cents on your questions 2-4.

2. You won't have any trouble stopping your 3000 lb boat without trailer brakes as long as you drive as though your stopping distance will be much longer, because it will. Legality will depend on your state. Very generally speaking, brakes are required on trailers over 3000 pounds. Some states use a percentage of vehicle weight and some use performance standards.

3. I seriously doubt the police will bother you based on the physical height of your boat (guessing it's a sailboat)? as long as you are driving sanely and not having any obvious control issues.

4. Your TB should not have any problems pulling a boat up a ramp, in fact it might do a little better than some of your buddies pickups due to better weight distribution.

You mentioned that your previous tow vehicle was an Astro? An Astro van weighs far less than the 7100 pounds your stated in your first post. Your TB should pull that boat much better than an Astro.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
steel trailer used behind astro van had brakes on the front axel.

new aluminum trailer has no brakes and won't in future, this is a saltwater vessel

don't want another thing to rust.

still awaiting for answers to ?s 2-4

I'd post images however I think it's impossiable here from my PC
Thanks TB

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I'd pull a 5000lb boat with a V8 Trailblazer. Best tool for the job? no. Suitable tool for the job? Absolutely.

BTW, does your boat have trailer brakes? That'll help the situation froma comfort level standpoint.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You can weigh it and then look at the numbers on the truck. The boat brakes should stop the boat.