cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's this camper??

BPeterson
Explorer
Explorer
I'm camper shopping - my beloved vintage pop-up is leaking more and more every time it goes out, and my fiance and I are getting on the hard sided travel trailer bandwagon.

We came across a Craigslist add for a potentially perfect rig for our towing setup and lifestyle, but I cannot for the life of me determine any solid information about it. Here's what I've got:

The model is identified as a Silver Creek (by Base Camp RV) model 1601XE. The pictures confirm this but I cannot find anything about this camper online. The manufacturer seems to be no more, and the model links to a newer, much much larger line of campers from the early 2010s. See the pictures for what I'm talking about.

Does anyone know what we're dealing with here?? I'm the kind of guy who needs to do an excessive amount of research before buying anything, and this camper has so far defeated me. Thanks in advance for anything you can provide!!

Here's the ad link: I've talked with the seller and he knows only what the previous seller told him. I know the condition is solid, but it's the technical specs I'm missing.

https://madison.craigslist.org/rvs/d/16-ft-travel-trailer-with/6591129330.html
9 REPLIES 9

BPeterson
Explorer
Explorer
GeorgiaJim wrote:
I find it interesting that he has no inside pictures of the front slide.

He had one image looking into the bed, but he didn't have the slideout all the way out so it obscures the window. Not sure why he didn't set it out completely...

GeorgiaJim
Explorer
Explorer
I find it interesting that he has no inside pictures of the front slide.

I see a lot of 1 to 3 year old ,16-19 ft trailers for under 10K in my area. If I was spending $6000on a trailer of that size and age, it would have to be perfect or an Airstream.

BPeterson
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
***Link Removed***

Thanks! Forgot the link...

And thank you all for your responses - super helpful! I was so stumped by this thing but as you say - the pictures look nice and it's an ideal layout for my fiance and I.

I think I'm going to take a look at it either way, but that's good advice on checking the front seals. My camping luck means it's beautiful when I'm driving and pouring rain when I'm trying to sleep, but a leak is a leak.

The search continues then! Off topic if you have other suggestions for lite/ultralite camper models around this size, I'm all ears! I'm a huge fan of the Forest River R-pods, but aren't quite ready to shell out the 10k they still seems to demand used.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks nice actually but I have to agree. Any intrusion (slide out, windows and even clearance lights all present positive pressure (rain) intrusion issues. Why a lot of builders now have no front facing windows and surface mount clearance lights. Too much of a chance of water intrusion.

Looks good (pictures) but looks can be deceiving. I'd be looking hard at the front area for evidence of water leaks and weathered seals on the push out.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The front slide could be problematic. Pulling it down the road in a rainstorm puts a lot of stress on seals. I would check very carefully for any signs of water entry or damage on this unit.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so I found those pics - the model brought to the gathering was a Twin Peaks hard wall folding trailer by Base Camp RV in Longmont, Co.

As I recall Base Camp RV was owned by two partners and I remember being told they were planning to also offer a full height travel trailer with a glide bed, which I believe turned out to be this Base Camp RV Silvercreek 1601XE the OP has found.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RockDodger wrote:
They aren't very well built because the company made them in a hurry to sell quickly at lower prices.

I'd also caution against any trailer with a front glide as this trailer has. Fleetwood Folding Trailers tried that back in the early 2000s with their Coleman Caravan series and those trailers leaked like a sieve.

As a former RVision owner I'd have to disagree that this is an RVision product. Back in 2005 we held a rally in RMNP in Colorado and one of the owners of the company that manufactured this Base Camp trailer brought one to the gathering. The company Base Camp RV is now defunct but was located in Longmont, Colorado. If I go back through my files I'm pretty sure I have a pic somewhere of this unit.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
The Silver Creek series were lightweight trailers made by a now defunct company called RVision in Grant, NM. They aren't very well built because the company made them in a hurry to sell quickly at lower prices. I only knew one person who had one of these and all he did was complain about how something didn't work, or this thing fell off, so if I were you I'd pass on it for something with a reputation for quality. Also, Craig's List is getting to be less of a safe place to buy things these days. Good luck to you.
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer