cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What truck are you using?

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening. Had TC's years ago. Now have 40' 5er we have decided to leave on our snowbird site in central FL. We are planning on purchasing a TC next spring to explore this beautiful country we call home.

Been reading about the Host TC's with the 3 slides. We really like that set up. I was looking at the brochure, its says the base weight is 3980 lbs. Kinds figure out that, no A?C, no generator,, Won't add a lot of weighth Really like the large holding tanks. That is a big plus.
Was wondering those of you who haul a Host TC with 3 slides, which truck do you have, what mods did you do to your truck?
Was wondering also if someone who has the options on their TC, if you know the weight of your TC?
Any thought you have on this subject would be appreciated.
Thanks
Safe Travels
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
28 REPLIES 28

Bedlam
8' behind my rear axle I hang 1000 lbs of tongue weight on a WDH. Maybe with no weight distribution you might get 1600 lbs on the rear axle due to unloading your front axle, I don't since I have a WDH.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1, oh my ... you make lots of assumptions, again. Feel free to post a link to anyone who recommends a 20% tongue weight.

If he cares, I’m sure Bedlam will give you more details about why you are wrong about his setup. Your constant need to “try” to make everyone think you are a knowledgeable person about every topic here is tiresome.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here comes your lack of understanding TC mechanics again.
The 1600 lb taken off rear payload does make a difference even with 5500 truck.
Than the 1600lb is good scenario I put as a sample.
If you do the worse case scenario - about 20% of trailer going to the tongue (recommended) makes 1600lb tongue weight. Multiply by long stinger that alone than can make 3000 lb on rear axle.
Add 7000 lb TC with COG behind the axle, what totals close to 11,000lb load on the rear. Still thinking 5500 truck has much room to spare?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
..I tow an 8000 lb enclosed trailer behind my truck camper that adds another 1000 lbs of tongue weight to the rear axle..

1000 lb tongue on 4 ft stinger will add above 1600 lb to rear axle, so wchich one is it?

It wouldn’t matter since he has a 5500. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wood, I miss my TC but with the DW... You know how it goes! lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
..I tow an 8000 lb enclosed trailer behind my truck camper that adds another 1000 lbs of tongue weight to the rear axle..

1000 lb tongue on 4 ft stinger will add above 1600 lb to rear axle, so wchich one is it?

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam, nice setup
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

Bedlam
The dual-slide Hosts are good fit for Class3 DRW's. Once you get to the triple-slides, you will be at the limits of the axle used in the Class 3 trucks and over the published GVWR.

I tow an 8000 lb enclosed trailer behind my truck camper that adds another 1000 lbs of tongue weight to the rear axle, so I have a Class 5 truck. My Class 5 with 500 lbs of battery banks weighs 11,000 lbs before I add the camper, gear and occupants. It sits at 17,500 lbs before I hitch up the trailer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
d2400ram, AGREEEEEEEEE
Have a great rest of your week.
Brenda and Bill

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know it was a typo... It was just how it struck me this morning.
Simple things make this simple man laff at the most mundane things...

Besides... I like to lighten up these SERIOUS topics when neccesary...LOL.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram, funny, but I have a good excuse, I have lost 90/95% of my central vision from Macular Degeneration. I proof read everything I post but still miss some things
Yep funny, Maybe I should go for a Peterbilt.
Yep funny
Brenda and Bill

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Point what part you can't understand?

Understand? That’s funny.

Just pointing out that what was posted was not at all misinformation. You simply think the actual definition of payload shouldn’t be considered. What you meant was “I don’t think GVWR matters, and only max axle ratings including tires matter.”

Your opinions don’t change the definitions of commonly accepted terms. It’s not misinformation because someone disagrees with what “you” would do.

And ... that’s silly to think that the definitions are different just because we own TCs.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Big Camper will only take weight off the steer axle if it’s horizontal Center of gravity (mass) is behind the rear axle.

Accurate math needs to be applied to weight distribution.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, you are right Jim and not the first time you can't understand TC weight distribution. Straight math doesn't apply to TC. Would that info be on boat forum, there would be nothing wrong with it, but this is Truck Camper forum and such information is extremely misleading here.
I posted explanation above. Point what part you can't understand?