cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

when is weight distribution hitch required

rmgozia
Explorer
Explorer
How do I decide when I need a weight distribution hitch?
22 REPLIES 22

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
I might be able to add something to this conversation. I recently bought a 19' toy hauler. Using my "heavy duty" Dodge 2500 Diesel with air bags and Big Whig rear sway bar, I r
Towed the trailer without a WDH for a year. No issues, no headlights in the trees. But on a whim, and wanting another gadget I bought a Load Equalizer hitch with built in sway control. Huge difference. Much smoother ride. Less bouncing. More control changing lanes. Huge improvement.
The trailer, loaded is only 7000 pounds and tongue weight is only 1000 pounds. Easily handled by the truck. But the WDH makes the trailer and the TV one homogeneous unit.

This is true...whether you need it or not, it changes your ride from an old pickup to a Cadillac.

Brian

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I might be able to add something to this conversation. I recently bought a 19' toy hauler. Using my "heavy duty" Dodge 2500 Diesel with air bags and Big Whig rear sway bar, I r
Towed the trailer without a WDH for a year. No issues, no headlights in the trees. But on a whim, and wanting another gadget I bought a Load Equalizer hitch with built in sway control. Huge difference. Much smoother ride. Less bouncing. More control changing lanes. Huge improvement.
The trailer, loaded is only 7000 pounds and tongue weight is only 1000 pounds. Easily handled by the truck. But the WDH makes the trailer and the TV one homogeneous unit.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch should list how much weight it can handle both with and without a WDH. You'll need to weight the trailer and see where it falls with the hitch's numbers.
It's that easy!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"How do I decide when I need a weight distribution hitch?"

When you decide to be more safe...for yourself, your family and me....steering, braking...control.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
I wonder what vehicle that owner manual belongs to, those recommendations seem a little unrealistic. A 150 lb tongue weight would mean a small pop up or a tear drop trailer would need a weight distribution hitch.

That is why the recommendation to look in "your" owner's manual was given. My Silverado 2500HD says none is "required" for more than double the weight of that for my F-150.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder what vehicle that owner manual belongs to, those recommendations seem a little unrealistic. A 150 lb tongue weight would mean a small pop up or a tear drop trailer would need a weight distribution hitch.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When you hitch up a trailer and your headlights are now shining in the trees! Really!!! ... When the rear squats (literally) taking weight off the front tires, which is reducing control of your steering.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
When your hitch and/or owner's manual say it.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized