cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to grease those wheel bearings???

AuntEthel
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a used, single axle hybrid last summer and put about 5,500 fantastic miles on it. We purchased the Jayco from a dealer, so they serviced it before we took ownership. I'm just womdering if we should grease the bearings each season or is there a certain amount of miles? The poor thing sat outside this horrible Chicago winter, so not sure if all that snow accumulation makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
Gallivanting with Aunt Ethel
5 REPLIES 5

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Since I put far less than a 1000 miles a year on our ROO I have only done it once in nine years. However the grease, then, looked and felt new. Lucky I guess. I do, however, check the breaks every year and while doing that look for signs of grease and for play in the bearings. Nine+ years and still running on the original breaks.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I repack the bearings, replace the seals and inspect the brakes once a year. This may be overkill, but for the cheap cost of the seals, it's good insurance to know I'm, without a doubt, good for the season. It takes me around an hour start to finish.

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
My owners manual says 12,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. I have the bearings greased and the brakes adjusted every other year. Never have had a problem with bearings or brakes. Each rv owner must determine their usage and then decide what suits their needs.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d do it now, you can,t really rely on what the dealer SAID HE DONE. its not a hard job .

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
I think my manual says every 10,000 miles but I don’t go that long, I do it every other year and check and adjust the brakes, too. Though I’ve found they’re always good and could go longer. But I live in a dry area. In your weather you could get moisture in them so I would probably check them yearly to see if they needed greased or they could go a couple of years.